Preview Round 9 Friday May 10th - Keninly Foodbowl Cwub vs. Scott's Tots Goodbye (To 2025) New; Have We Lost Yet Discussion @ The Cattery

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

We haven’t won at the cattery in a long time and won’t be any time soon.

This could be a thumping.

Our players or gameplan or both sees us boot it long from the back fifty, creating shallow forward fifty entries. This is exactly where Geelong want it and rebound brilliantly from.

The Geelong talls, who make Adelaide’s talls look like the SANFL side that they are, will have a field day on our talls. Rebounding from their defensive fifty will see us unable to set up our press and our midfield out of place, leaving unpressured kicks to rain down on our back dirty, which will be full of our loose checking defenders.

Port will be without its captain and best player. All of our tall forwards have injury issues. Our list lacks depth. We are down on confidence - that showdown loss felt like the dam breaking - Like the will to keep getting up for the fight slipped away. Hard to get yourself up, to lift when you need. The team won’t see this as a game they can compete in, let alone win. If you don’t believe you can win, then you won’t.

Geelong have the wood on us. The cattery is narrow and hard to play at. Geelong are in form and have a game plan that directly exploits our weaknesses - inability to manage pressure, predictable gameplan, no game day innovation, poor inside fifty entries.

Honestly, if I was Ken, I would ask Chris if Geelong would take a 30 point win and just not play this game.

This has blow out written all over it. Wouldn’t surprise me if we have some goalless quarters again. Anything under a sixty point loss will be a victory for Port.

So, if we can find a way to get the mindset right, to get our players fit and ready then we have to work out a way to win.

What does that require?

1) mix up the midfield.

• Ruck Wines, Marshall, Sav, Finlayson and Dixon, with Sweet as the lead
  • Rotate Rioli, Boak, DBJ, Mitch, Houston, Farrell, Bergmann through the middle
  • Try a forward or back steaming through the middle after the centre bounce

1. wings must push up and back. We need the wings working their butts off to get up and down. Be the extra out number, particularly in defence
  2. Use jones as the last man in defence. He has the wheels to chase most down, he make be able to stop the over the back goals.
  3. Have a lockdown on Miers. He is their play maker, shut him down. Houston to play on him, Dan must shut him out and then attack him the other way and force Miers to chase Dan.
  4. Have a lockdown on Cameron. He is their other play maker, shut him down. Consider Bergmann for this job.
  5. No long kicks from back fifty. Run at them, use overlap, the wings and HFF and HBFs will be critical for this and ensure we are getting deep fifty entries. This will reduce Geelong’s ability to intercept and rebound.
  6. Forward line woes. Have a mix of people in front and behind, unlike against the crows where every tall sat behind their defender. Dixon needs to not leave 30m out from goals. Marshall, Mitch and Jezza need to work up the ground - look at Cameron’s role and replicate it. Either this draws their opposing defender out of our forward fifty or means they can support the overlap run up the ground.
  7. Have some planned plays. Cluster all forwards together for one centre bounce. Burst all forwards, bar Rioli, at the ball at a centre bounce. Put three talls on Stewart all at once and then lead off him, and kick to our leads. Leave Butters or Rioli one out for a play or two. Get Boak back on ball for some patches. Try a defensive flood for the final five minutes of a quarter to not concede. Try going one on one across the ground for five minutes. Try the Richmond vs crow bots tactic of just holding possession for five minutes. Play Marshall as a key back for a bit. Play Alir as a one out forward.

Look we aren’t winning this game. But Ken and the Coaches can actually get something out of it, if they choose too. It’s a chance to let the team try some things. Mix it up. Changes things. Let the guys enjoy the game, try things, make some mistakes but not get too down because we are giving something new a go. Have the lads relearn that it’s ok to try something, to be daring, to play exciting footy. Honestly try something, get some fun back.

Our players or gameplan or both sees us boot it long from the back fifty, creating shallow forward fifty entries. This is exactly where Geelong want it and rebound brilliantly from.

The Geelong talls, who make Adelaide’s talls look like the SANFL side that they are, will have a field day on our talls. Rebounding from their defensive fifty will see us unable to set up our press and our midfield out of place, leaving unpressured kicks to rain down on our back dirty, which will be full of our loose checking defenders.

Port will be without its captain and best player. All of our tall forwards have injury issues. Our list lacks depth. We are down on confidence - that showdown loss felt like the dam breaking - Like the will to keep getting up for the fight slipped away. Hard to get yourself up, to lift when you need. The team won’t see this as a game they can compete in, let alone win. If you don’t believe you can win, then you won’t.

Geelong have the wood on us. The cattery is narrow and hard to play at. Geelong are in form and have a game plan that directly exploits our weaknesses - inability to manage pressure, predictable gameplan, no game day innovation, poor inside fifty entries.

Honestly, if I was Ken, I would ask Chris if Geelong would take a 30 point win and just not play this game.

This has blow out written all over it. Wouldn’t surprise me if we have some goalless quarters again. Anything under a sixty point loss will be a victory for Port.

So, if we can find a way to get the mindset right, to get our players fit and ready then we have to work out a way to win.

What does that require?

1) mix up the midfield.

1. wings must push up and back. We need the wings working their butts off to get up and down. Be the extra out number, particularly in defence
  2. Use jones as the last man in defence. He has the wheels to chase most down, he make be able to stop the over the back goals.
  3. Have a lockdown on Miers. He is their play maker, shut him down. Houston to play on him, Dan must shut him out and then attack him the other way and force Miers to chase Dan.
  4. Have a lockdown on Cameron. He is their other play maker, shut him down. Consider Bergmann for this job.
  5. No long kicks from back fifty. Run at them, use overlap, the wings and HFF and HBFs will be critical for this and ensure we are getting deep fifty entries. This will reduce Geelong’s ability to intercept and rebound.
  6. Forward line woes. Have a mix of people in front and behind, unlike against the crows where every tall sat behind their defender. Dixon needs to not leave 30m out from goals. Marshall, Mitch and Jezza need to work up the ground - look at Cameron’s role and replicate it. Either this draws their opposing defender out of our forward fifty or means they can support the overlap run up the ground.
  7. Have some planned plays. Cluster all forwards together for one centre bounce. Burst all forwards, bar Rioli, at the ball at a centre bounce. Put three talls on Stewart all at once and then lead off him, and kick to our leads. Leave Butters or Rioli one out for a play or two. Get Boak back on ball for some patches. Try a defensive flood for the final five minutes of a quarter to not concede. Try going one on one across the ground for five minutes. Try the Richmond vs crow bots tactic of just holding possession for five minutes. Play Marshall as a key back for a bit. Play Alir as a one out forward.

Look we aren’t winning this game. But Ken and the Coaches can actually get something out of it, if they choose too. It’s a chance to let the team try some things. Mix it up. Changes things. Let the guys enjoy the game, try things, make some mistakes but not get too down because we are giving something new a go. Have the lads relearn that it’s ok to try something, to be daring, to play exciting footy. Honestly try something, get some fun back.

We’re in such a state that you almost treat it as a trial where you test point tactics for some hopefully more consequential game later in the year. Test individuals on their ability to shutdown Miers, Cameron, as you point out. Try slowing things down without Ken’s try hardery kicking in and us screwing it up embarrassingly (urgh). Finny in surely. Not sure Marshall should be out there at all TBH. No good will come from throwing him down back at the Cattery. Stick with Williams and Burton too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prediction

friends sleep GIF

Use jones as the last man in defence. He has the wheels to chase most down, he make be able to stop the over the back goals.
I think we’ve tried this but it often ends up in a mismatch with Jones on the taller forward. I can’t see Jones playing with a hamstring injury this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The head cases will probably win this one for Kenny. They are good at doing the bare minimum, just enough to save Kenny’s arse but never any more.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The head cases will probably win this one for Kenny. They are good at doing the bare minimum, just enough to save Kenny’s arse but never any more.

I'd say competitive probably lose by a couple of goals, we've never won at Kenny's home ground in his entire tenure it won't change now.

I'd say competitive probably lose by a couple of goals, we've never won at Kenny's home ground in his entire tenure it won't change now.

Yeah you are probably right, I think last year we did exactly that and Geelong weren’t even good but it was talked up as a good effort because we had a couple out.

Pressure off, no one expecting us to win, so we will probably perform better, still a loss , approx 30 pts. Just hope they mix it up and try some positional/personnel changes. Nice game to introduce lorentz / sinn to get more speed into our game.

Lol everyone now wanting Sinn in just to make him a new whipping boy slamming him right after the game and list him as an out the week after just like the flak Williams is copping

As much as we want some new youth in charleston and lorenz dont think itll happen. If anything itll be something *ed like evans in for rozee

Lol everyone now wanting Sinn in just to make him a new whipping boy slamming him right after the game and list him as an out the week after just like the flak Williams is copping

As much as we want some new youth in charleston and lorenz dont think itll happen. If anything itll be something *ed like evans in for rozee
sinn has much more talent and potential than someone like williams.

What does that require?

1) mix up the midfield.

Post of the year.

You must be a coach or have some experience?

Unfortunately, probably nothing will change. It seems to me that Hinkley decides on this year's brand of Hinkleyball at the start of each year and won't change anything, except at the edges, ever.

I suspect he is incapable of change, and his apparent history of zero self-improvement supports that.

So Williams is apparently the new whipping boy.
We've rapidly gone from "he's a touch slow but he's a smart footballer " to "he's way too slow and should never play again ".

The way we played against the Crows and let them surge forward meant that any defender was going to get caught out.

We have much bigger problems than Williams in the line-up.
Burton, MacEntee and Marshall have all been pretty average....

So Williams is apparently the new whipping boy.
We've rapidly gone from "he's a touch slow but he's a smart footballer " to "he's way too slow and should never play again ".

The way we played against the Crows and let them surge forward meant that any defender was going to get caught out.

We have much bigger problems than Williams in the line-up.
Burton, MacEntee and Marshall have all been pretty average....

Williams, like the rest, looks bereft of confidence.
Last year his positioning was great and he was an excellent kick. This year not so much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back