The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Danger was absolutely s**t today as well. Did he do anything efficiently? Played forward a lot but his impact was way too minimal.

Afl says 26 @ 54%. Thommo 31@ 55%. Danger had 18 to thommos 12 contested, so they were probably as wasteful as each other. Although thommos 3 frees against probably tip wastefulness his way. That pathetic effort at half back to tackle by grabbing his opponents shoulders was a disgrace.

We are slow in the midfield. West Coast are too but they balance it by one grab and precise kicking/handballing and always being on the move. The amount of times I saw our midfielders stationery taking two or three fumbles at the ball before picking it up was unbelievable. There is no need to blame our forward line or our defence, today was all about our midfield, our highly over rated midfield who were absolutely smashed. Thompson is a liability in the midfield, last week we got a glimpse of how much quicker we were through the midfield without him, this week we got our usual snap shot...and we got smashed.

Also Sando, if you want to be a great coach, take the call out of your players hands every now and then, Danger shouldn't have played.

It's an unpopular opinion about thommo, but I agree. He had about 17 effective disposals today and provides less than zero defensively. Take out his first few minutes and he's probably only had 10 effective in 3 and a half quarters. He's still useful, but we trade out defensive pressure for his attacking output. 3 frees against as well. he needs to be up around 75% with his 30 disposals.

Surely we can stop talking playing finals now. Bring on the clean out.

We are as soft as butter in tackling and pressure acts.

Crap effort in front of a good crowd. Deserved better.

We are the masters of making a s**t team look like top 4 material.

Might go and kick the dog!

- Sando and his coaching team simply do not know how to counter the oppositions plus one
Actually we only play 5 forwards. We choose to gift them a plus one.

S.Thompson was horrible IMO. I don't care how much he got it. He was fumbly and barely got out of a jog all day meanwhile West Coast's clearance machine in Priddis actually spread hard and got outside ball too. He'd jog along while the Eagles mids would sprint away with it.

Also, again: our bomb it long rubbish didn't work while the Eagles showed the benefits of hard leading, getting the footy to the outside ball carriers and nailing a leading forward on the chest. Our defenders didn't stand a chance.

Actually we only play 5 forwards. We choose to gift them a plus one.
This is the most annoying thing of the lot. Yeah ok drop an extra back if they get a run on but pleeeeeease at least start with an even playing field. Its like we know our defence is woeful and are mids dont help........

Ah yeah maybe its not a bad plan

Bad

- Sando and his coaching team simply do not know how to counter the oppositions plus one

- Sando affair with picking players carrying injuries / soreness

I dot get why it's so hard for them: get the forwards leading hard in different directions, get the footy in the good ball users hands forward of centre, and nail your teammate on the lead! The eagles did exactly that all day!

Our entries are so predictable: bomb it long with three tallS standing next to each other.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of all our problems I wouldn't be calling out Laird. He looked fantastic in defense last year but for whatever reason, Sando decided we didn't have room for him down there and has been trying to play him up the ground. It hasn't worked.

After 2 or so retirements it sucks that only a further 2-3 players will be delisted at the end of the year. At this rate it will take us 3-4 years to delist the rubbish from our list.
I've written my assessment of our list several times and today highlights again how an occasional win over a better team papers over the fact our list isn't good enough.

We have a good top 10 but the standard after that no where near matches the post 10 quality of the Hawthorn or Sydney lists and I think many of our after 10 players don't have any/enough upside to make us a finals threat in the immediate future.

This is the Trigg legacy, six first and second round picks should be now blossoming on our list at the expense of our bottom six.

Very hard to rebuild a list nowadays with only getting about every 20th pick at the draft each year and we aren't a favoured destination for good FA players either.

I said before the game that this was a game we should win but my gut said we wouldn't.

Surely there has to be something in the head of our players that results with us losing the games we should win yet we can win games that maybe we shouldn't. How do we beat the Pies one week then lose to a team that is struggling. We were up 4 goals and then lost it. Was this about thinking "" Oh this is going to be easy" For some reason this team just hasn't got any consistency. We must lack self believe.

Its not the end of the world (although right now it feels like it) because we can still make the 8 but if we do we will only be making up the numbers.

I am F***ed trying to figure it out.

Laird? Rubbish? LOL

Actually gave us a chance after shutting down Hurn in the 3rd.

Hard at it and has good disposal. Poor call really
I disagree - he was s**t and so was a few of his mates.
If Talia wasn't subbed out through injury you could've taken your pick from Dangerfield, Luke rabbit in the headlights Thomson, Wright or Laird.

Just outcoached again.

Letting Hurn run riot while Sanderson does his best statue impersonation.

Gutless selection. Their delivery was sublime, our best deliveryman was on the bench.

Too many triers like MacKay, Wright, Martin in our midfield. Not enough class. Trouble is Sanderson himself was a workmanlike trier so he will always favour those types. Thompson is farking slow. Please retire Thommo.

And no passion. Most uninspiring coach getting around.

As I said previously no one on our list aged 25 or over will play in a GF if they stay at the AFC.

Dangerfield needs to be taken out of the media. He's becoming a Chris McDermott type figure. Malcolm Blight wouldn't let him get this distracted. Concentrate on your footy Danger.

Bad - Martin / Otten are the exact type of hard calls we need to make... Average players that have average stats and don't make overly bad errors - they just don't make us a better football team.

WORST - how the F*ck did one of the worst, slowest, one paced midfields make us look so slow.

Surely this has to be a young team going through the mental ups and downs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back