The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Remove this Banner Ad

I got up after working all night, having had only 4 hours sleep to go along to the game, so I'm probably more grumpy than I'd normally be.

But I am finding it so hard not to write a huge rant about Josh Jenkins and how we use him. * it, I'll do it anyway.

That was such a pissweak game from him. He sits there deep, calling for the ball to be dropped on his head, but he's the weakest contested mark I've ever seen for a guy his size. Matty Clarke might have even been better. He refuses to work hard and provide multiple leads, yet, at the same time, refuses to jump at the ******* ball. In short, he refuses to do his job, yet stays in the side through kicking cheap goals and mediocre ruckwork. If he was 5cm shorter he'd never get a game. If Luke Jericho could ruck. Why the * am I seeing packs forming with multiple opposition talls in our forward 50, with Jenkins in the vicinity, yet he doesn't jump at the ball and we have Eddie Betts and Brodie Martin trying to fly over blokes 20cm taller than them instead? He's also woeful defensively. I've had a gutful of him and I'd just about rather see McKernan play, who is equally lazy and does stupid s**t all the time, but at least he throws his weight around. JJ was by no means our only problem, but he's the ultimate chipscab and I'm sick of trying to be diplomatic about it. Seagull.

Anyway, we came expecting to win. Completely stopped after we kicked those first four. Arrogant, mentally weak performance. Players and coaches are equally to blame. Why we continue to allow a loose man, and then ******* bomb it on his head over and over, is beyond me. Meanwhile, West Coast's forwards are continuously leading, and their leads are honoured. How can you leave Hurn on his own for a half, too? Best kick in their side and we let him run around on his own. Kick ins were atrocious too. How long have we called for something to be done about this?

What a joke.

Bad - Martin / Otten are the exact type of hard calls we need to make... Average players that have average stats and don't make overly bad errors - they just don't make us a better football team.

WORST - how the F*ck did one of the worst, slowest, one paced midfields make us look so slow.

Surely this has to be a young team going through the mental ups and downs.
Jaensch, DMACK and Henderson aren't young.

I got up after working all night, having had only 4 hours sleep to go along to the game, so I'm probably more grumpy than I'd normally be.

But I am finding it so hard not to write a huge rant about Josh Jenkins and how we use him. **** it, I'll do it anyway.

That was such a pissweak game from him. He sits there deep, calling for the ball to be dropped on his head, but he's the weakest contested mark I've ever seen for a guy his size. Matty Clarke might have even been better. He refuses to work hard and provide multiple leads, yet, at the same time, refuses to jump at the ******* ball. In short, he refuses to do his job, yet stays in the side through kicking cheap goals and mediocre ruckwork. If he was 5cm shorter he'd never get a game. If Luke Jericho could ruck. Why the **** am I seeing packs forming with multiple opposition talls in our forward 50, with Jenkins in the vicinity, yet he doesn't jump at the ball and we have Eddie Betts and Brodie Martin trying to fly over blokes 20cm taller than them instead? He's also woeful defensively. I've had a gutful of him and I'd just about rather see McKernan play, who is equally lazy and does stupid s**t all the time, but at least he throws his weight around. JJ was by no means our only problem, but he's the ultimate chipscab and I'm sick of trying to be diplomatic about it. Seagull.

Don't forget his rucking (1 hit out today)

But I am finding it so hard not to write a huge rant about Josh Jenkins and how we use him. **** it, I'll do it anyway.

That was such a pissweak game from him. He sits there deep, calling for the ball to be dropped on his head, but he's the weakest contested mark I've ever seen for a guy his size. Matty Clarke might have even been better. He refuses to work hard and provide multiple leads, yet, at the same time, refuses to jump at the ******* ball. In short, he refuses to do his job, yet stays in the side through kicking cheap goals and mediocre ruckwork. If he was 5cm shorter he'd never get a game. If Luke Jericho could ruck. Why the **** am I seeing packs forming with multiple opposition talls in our forward 50, with Jenkins in the vicinity, yet he doesn't jump at the ball and we have Eddie Betts and Brodie Martin trying to fly over blokes 20cm taller than them instead? He's also woeful defensively. I've had a gutful of him and I'd just about rather see McKernan play, who is equally lazy and does stupid s**t all the time, but at least he throws his weight around. JJ was by no means our only problem, but he's the ultimate chipscab and I'm sick of trying to be diplomatic about it. Seagull.

Anyway, we came expecting to win. Completely stopped after we kicked those first four. Arrogant, mentally weak performance. Players and coaches are equally to blame. Why we continue to allow a loose man, and then ******* bomb it on his head over and over, is beyond me. Meanwhile, West Coast's forwards are continuously leading, and their leads are honoured. How can you leave Hurn on his own for a half, too? Best kick in their side and we let him run around on his own. Kick ins were atrocious too. How long have we called for something to be done about this?

What a joke.

I like Jenkins, but I have to agree. More than half the time he is absolutely useless in the forward line, and he is always useless in the ruck

Good - Our start
Bad - Just about all of our 22 players, some at stages many for much of the game
Ugly - 1) Easy marks for them at both ends of the ground 2) Not having a clue how to tackle and pin at least one arm

I said before the game that this was a game we should win but my gut said we wouldn't.

Surely there has to be something in the head of our players that results with us losing the games we should win yet we can win games that maybe we shouldn't. How do we beat the Pies one week then lose to a team that is struggling............

The Pies aren't a good team and that's the point I'm making. We beat someone like them and think we are going ok. We're not, we're not good enough and there's no quick fix.

Don't get me started on handing out four year contracts to B grade players!

Here's an exercise for you. Name which Crows players would get a game for say Sydney, and which Sydney player will they displace. I did it recently and not many Crows got into red and white guernseys! That's the standard of our current list.

Making the finals will be a waste of better draft picks - unfortunately. No point limping into the bottom part of the eight, you get a tougher draw in 2015 as well under the AFL's new draw formula.

Good: Some players played well.
Bad: Some players didn't.
Ugly: Sanderson's bold match-day coaching choices turned a certain large victory into a defeat. The moment Podsiadly got injured, the entire structure of the Crows became about trying to get him back into the metch.

I was surprised in the pre-season how many people overrated Jenkins, Henderson and especially our depth.

Kick ins are totally unpredictable. Who knows where we are going to kick it. It could go anywhere, totally bamboozling the opposition who can never tell if it's going to the right, right or right.
This

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jesse Ventura summed the AFC up in PREDATOR perfectly

maxresdefault.jpg

firstly, i promise im not here to gloat.

but do you think this could be something to do with training loads? port/freo/hawks/swans have shown that they currently going through a heavy training load in readiness for the finals. they arent finishing out games as well and are looking exhausted. the crows couldnt afford to be doing that just yet as they were still battling to actually make the finals. Maybe after the collingwood win, the call was made to ramp it up and today was just a result of the guys playing sore and flat from the additional training. This time of the year your always going to get the lesser teams getting close to the finals bound teams for this reason.

if you look at the port Adelaide power team, and the port Adelaide magpie team, they both went flat and started losing games at identical times. cos they are being trained by the same person.

Lazy, arrogant, big headed.. How many times has this happened now?
Why do we spend so many weeks against poorer opposition talking about how we need to respect them, this won't be easy etc.. You shouldn't even have to, or be talking about rubbish like that if you are truly approaching every game the same way and with respect!!!!!!! And it shows..

After the first 4 goals, I could see the relax back into the armchair that occurred..
"Yep, this is working out how we thought it would"

Chasing stopped, running to create stopped, pressure stopped, tackling was primary school stuff and I apologise to the many primary school children who would be offended by this.. West Coast woke up and applied their own pressure to which we crumbled..

That's not starting on forward entries and players all over the field again being stagnant and not leading for the ******* ball..

Insipid, embarrassing, soft..

Jenkins sure does play like Jane sometimes, but he has kicked 35 odd goals as a back up

Not everyone can be a world beater
No, but freaking Alex Spina could come in and kick 35 goals standing off the back of packs and calling for handballs over the top, and he might actually provide something resembling defensive pressure while he does it. Yes he's kicking goals, but so did Lewis Johnston when we played him. JJ needs to do more to bring others into the game. Right now he is not a team player. Dinky taps that work one out of every three times don't count. Take a look at goal assist/score involvement stats - his are lower than any of our forwards by a long way. All of our regular forwards average around 1 goal assist a game (more in some cases). Jenkins averages less than one every three games. Unless he's on the end of the chain, he doesn't contribute. Don't tell me it's because he spends time in the ruck, because even Jacobs' are higher. Jenkins averages the least tackles of all our regular forwards, too.

Last edited:
Kick ins are totally unpredictable. Who knows where we are going to kick it. It could go anywhere, totally bamboozling the opposition who can never tell if it's going to the right, right or right.
I hope this is sarcasm. The only time it isn't predictable is when Sauce is on the pine.....

Personally, I think the players at this club just can't handle being the heavy favorites to win a game. I think they mentally relax when they're expected to win and as a result the work rate drops and we get ourselves into trouble.

Mate its not just this year, it has been a problem for the last generation (of players).

VB, Thommo and Reilly.

We have not handled favourtism at all well. We get ahead of ourselves EVERY time, poor leadership on and off the field.

Danger shouldn't be playing, Sloan has been disappointing, Thommo has shown he can't deliver when it counts and now he can't chase/run his time has come.

But, but, but he got 30 touches. Big deal - half goes to the opposition the other half are sideways kicks or 30m kicks to a contest. He hasn't been tagged for 3 years because he does NO damage and he lets his opposite number have a free run around the ground.

Clear the decks.

I can handle the inconsistency and losses that come with being a young team. What I can't handle is not playing to our potential - not giving an honest effort. Today was not an honest effort.

Love Sauce but with all the talk this week about him being known as "Tall Mid" there was only one tall mid out there, Natanui. Probably their most influential player with Priddis. Absolutely slaughtered us.

Oh and..WHAT PART OF "HIT THEM LIKE A F***ING FREIGHT TRAIN" DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND???

Commentators were saying there are only a few players in the team with "natural aggression." I DON'T CARE IF YOU DON'T HAVE NATURAL AGGRESSION! I don't care if you don't have natural flair! I don't care if you're not a natural redhead! YOU ARE BEING PAID HUGE AMOUNTS OF MONEY TO TACKLE AND BUMP PLAYERS WITH ENOUGH FORCE TO FLATTEN THEM. It is the first thing you have to be able to do, whether it comes naturally to you or not! It is a brutal game and your first obligation is to BE BRUTAL.

Sando, do nothing else this week. No kicking, no handballing, no game plan stuff. Just get them to flatten the daylights out of each other all week and tell them that's all you want them to do next week! The rest will fall into place, I promise you.

**** me!!

What a joke.

Agreed, although is JJ calling for it on his head due to laziness or instruction/structure? My feeling is the latter. We know how good Tex is on the lead but we just never look to get him one-out on the lead either:(. It's got to be coached IMO and it's such a terribly predictable set up. I mean, the long bomb is fine as an occasional get out option when it's a one-on-one but it's sooo much harder defending a couple of forwards leading everywhere and creating space for others to lead into as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back