The lineups/matchups

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 4, 2003
Portress
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Sitting at Uni today bored out of my brains in a lecture i pondered over our side for this week and the Cows.

Heres how i think the sides will line up - Given that some players out of position simply for the matchups that may occur

F - Wanganeen Primus White
B - Johncock Rutten Basset

HF - Francou Tredrea Ebert
HB - Shirley McGregor Mattner

C - Shattock K Cornes Kingsley
C - Reilly McLeod Thompson

HB - Walsh C Cornes Dew
HF - Goodwin Perrie Bode

B - Pettigrew Wakelyn Montgomery
F - Hentshcel Stevens Welsh

Rucks - Brogan James Cassissi
Rucks - Hudson Edwards Riccuito

Inter - Chaplin Cochrane Wilson Lade
Inter - Skipworth Biglands Torney Doughty

Ins - Wilson
Ins - Torney

Outs - Surjan
Outs - Hart

Cant see chocco changing much due to injuries and suspensions. I feel as tho NC may stick with the side that beat the pies. Doughty under the pump ? but i think hel stay in the 22.

I reckon folliwng matchups will happen:
K Cornes on Macca (has done it well in the past - and is a nemesis for andrew)
Shattock on Reilly ( hopefully will harass him and take his mind off the game - hes becoming not a bad player - but i think a bit of physical pressure will be the way to go here)
Walsh on Goodwin
Jamesy on Edwards (Or cochrane ) ?
Dom Cassissi to get Roo

Il post it on both boards - see what we all think

I reckon we have the side to win and If Adelaide play like they did early last week we should win but its a derby and anything can happen.

My tip - Port by 15 points

Arsene Wenger said:
Sitting at Uni today bored out of my brains in a lecture i pondered over our side for this week and the Cows.

Heres how i think the sides will line up - Given that some players out of position simply for the matchups that may occur

B - Johncock Rutten Basset

HB - Shirley McGregor Mattner

C - Reilly McLeod Thompson

HB - Walsh C Cornes Dew
HF - Goodwin Perrie Bode

B - Pettigrew Wakelyn Montgomery
F - Hentshcel Stevens Welsh

Rucks - Brogan James Cassissi
Rucks - Hudson Edwards Riccuito

Inter - Skipworth Biglands Torney Doughty

Ins - Wilson
Ins - Torney

Outs - Surjan
Outs - Hart

Cant see chocco changing much due to injuries and suspensions. I feel as tho NC may stick with the side that beat the pies. Doughty under the pump ? but i think hel stay in the 22.

I reckon folliwng matchups will happen:
K Cornes on Macca (has done it well in the past - and is a nemesis for andrew)
Shattock on Reilly ( hopefully will harass him and take his mind off the game - hes becoming not a bad player - but i think a bit of physical pressure will be the way to go here)
Walsh on Goodwin
Jamesy on Edwards (Or cochrane ) ?
Dom Cassissi to get Roo

Il post it on both boards - see what we all think

I reckon we have the side to win and If Adelaide play like they did early last week we should win but its a derby and anything can happen.

My tip - Port by 15 points
Pretty good effort.

With K Cornes playing on Macca, I reckon we will push him forward (swap him wit Goody). Reckon Doughty to start on HBF, Mattner on a wing, Thompson on HFF & Bode on the bench.

Will C Cornes play on Perrie, as you had to move him off last game? Chaplin may get the job, leaving C Cornes to play his quaterback role. I would like to see Hentschel v C Cornes.

Hope Van Berlo comes in for Skipworth too.

Having seen the great job Cassisi did on Ackermanis I wouldn't be surprised if he takes McCleod. The Dominator copes well with players who have a turn of speed, he is determined and will pick up possessions of his own.

Surely Wilbur will be given a few weeks to get match fit?

Toots Hibbert said:
Having seen the great job Cassisi did on Ackermanis I wouldn't be surprised if he takes McCleod. The Dominator copes well with players who have a turn of speed, he is determined and will pick up possessions of his own.

Surely Wilbur will be given a few weeks to get match fit?

In an interview last week (I can't remember which assistant coach it was with at Port) it was mentioned that Wilbur had been training at full speed for a number of weeks, however he had only recently been able to lift his arms above his head, to which was added "and that can be a useful thing for an AFL footballer to be able to do" (tongue in cheek of course!). I'd be very surprised to see him out there, but given the great job he did against Brissy in the Grand final without the use of either shoulder he's be an asset regardless. His physical presence is something we're sorely lacking a the moment, without Carr, Hardwick, Pickett and Piledriver Burgoyne, and being an original Magpies boy his hatred of all things Crows is beyond reproach. :D

Kane McGoodwin said:
Pretty good effort.

With K Cornes playing on Macca, I reckon we will push him forward (swap him wit Goody). Reckon Doughty to start on HBF, Mattner on a wing, Thompson on HFF & Bode on the bench.

Will C Cornes play on Perrie, as you had to move him off last game? Chaplin may get the job, leaving C Cornes to play his quaterback role. I would like to see Hentschel v C Cornes.

Hope Van Berlo comes in for Skipworth too.

I suspect that if Macca goes forward, that Port would consider that a HUGE win for them. A potential dangerous player left up forward to avoid a tag. Walsh would pick him up in that case. Cornes would then be free to pick up Ricciutto, hopefully with a bit of niggle to put the Roo off his game, and Cassisi can slide across onto Goodwin.

Macca may kick a goal or two, (always does in showdowns), but if hes not hurting us out of the middle I'm happy.

Up forward stiffy on Wangas seems right (assuming Gav plays forward), White on Bassett is a good test, but he should have the size to win that one. And if it comes down to a body contest - good luck Rutten.

To me we look slow in the midfield and this could be our biggest problem. James isnt 100% yet, and as a result the Crows look to have a bit more pepper in there.

A lot of interest for me is how we sturcture up down back. From all reports Stevens hasn't looked the part as yet, its important that Welsh isnt let have a good start. Hentschell on the Grew as you have listed would be a good look into the crystal ball at the future of both clubs.

Cornes on Perrie - becomes a case of how loose chad is allowed to play. If he is able to play wide and assume the "quarterback role" as described by Kane, without it hurting us then I think Port wins the game confortable. If Perrie is played through at every opportunity and Chad is forced in close, I think we may be in trouble as it means 2 things. Adelaide is getting a lot of midfield ball, and 2 they are hitting their targets.

I don't think Roger will start on the ball, more likely to be rotated off the bench. Take Francou off the HFF and into the guts, he's got a couple of games under his belt now and always puts in blinders against the Crows.
No need to rush Wilbur in, Walsh and Shattock showed they can cover him until he is fully ready to go.

missionpossible said:
the big question is who is going to get brett burton.
MONTY (might as well give MONTY the two week suspension now and get it over and done with)

Yeah I beleive that Burton isn't playing this week. Who will Monty get reported for striking THIS time?

Honestly, I'll spew right up if any of our guys get reported for doing stupid things this week. The worst few for that are out, but I still worry about Primus and Francou getting a bit overexcited......

I think it's also another good reason to leave Wilbur out for another week. From memory he went a bit nuts for the first couple of games when he finally returned from injury, throwing himself around and tackling like it was going out of fashion. Playing the Crows might just tip him over the edge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need an experienced mid-size defender to replace Hart & for me JT is worth risking given neither Begley, Massie or Bock are setting the world alight.

I would play S Stevens as both a spare defensive & offensive KP option, however, I expect that the selectors will play Clarke instead.

Would debut Van Berlo, as I think he has more of a future than both Skipworth & Bode (who is under a cloud any way). Again likely that NC will stick with Skippy &/or Bode.

Doughty to start on the bench as a reminder of last week's soft effort.

K Cornes is their most prolific midfielder, so Shirley should get the runwith job.

B - Johncock Rutten Bassett

HB - Reilly McGregor Torney

C - Thompson Shirley Mattner

HB - Pettigrew C Cornes Dew
HF - Hentschel Perrie Edwards

B - Walsh Montogomery Wakelin
F - McLeod Welsh M Stevens

Rucks - Brogan Cassisi James
Rucks - Hudson Ricciuto Goodwin

Inter - Biglands S Stevens Doughty Van Berlo

Ins - Wilson
Ins - Torney Van Berlo S Stevens

Outs - Surjan
Outs - Hart Bode Skipworth

What sort of role will Shattock play and do you think he can have the same influence he did last week? Once Burgoyne comes back and James gains match fitness will Shattock hold his spot in the midfield or be pushed out of it?

BTW who is Wilbur?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back