Roast The media....*Shakes Head* Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I just finished watching the Toronto-Boston game (NHL). On the second break, the broadcasters got some old hockey goalies to explain just exactly how a goalie needs to angle his head to be effective (Toronto's goalie was pulling out some awesome stops.)

I'm no hockey-head but it was brilliant sports broadcasting explaining to me a part of the game that was by no means obvious. With the brilliant HD technology it's amazing watching the hockey. Australian media companies are still way behind.

I just finished watching the Toronto-Boston game (NHL). On the second break, the broadcasters got some old hockey goalies to explain just exactly how a goalie needs to angle his head to be effective (Toronto's goalie was pulling out some awesome stops.)

I'm no hockey-head but it was brilliant sports broadcasting explaining to me a part of the game that was by no means obvious. With the brilliant HD technology it's amazing watching the hockey. Australian media companies are still way behind.

Our innovation is basically -insert utterly useless megawall-

"That will do the trick. Cost effective innovation that! Jolly good show."

How can you get more analytical than Big Boy McEvoy from the Calder footy factory wraps those big dukes around the ball and pulls in the huge grab. Boy oh boy wowee.

How can you get more analytical than Big Boy McEvoy from the Calder footy factory wraps those big dukes around the ball and pulls in the huge grab. Boy oh boy wowee.
Having listened to a few of the 1990s games recently courtesy of Foxtel and had to put up with Malcolm Blight and Robert Walls commentary I've made a sacred vow not to complain about Brian Taylor/ Matthew Richardson until at least R3.

For me there is nothing worse than Cameron Ling.
An then Darce.
The combo of Taylor/Darcy/Ling and Richo is excruciating.
Richo has even taken to casually saying Big boy, without the McEvoy part at all.

For me there is nothing worse than Cameron Ling.
An then Darce.
The combo of Taylor/Darcy/Ling and Richo is excruciating.
Richo has even taken to casually saying Big boy, without the McEvoy part at all.

Richardson is the worst of the lot. He trades almost entirely off his "good bloke/one of the boys" image and his insight is s**t. All he does is bore everyone shitless with his updates from the Twittersphere and whatever "The Big Texan" has to say on a given issue. Awful commentator.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richardson is the worst of the lot. He trades almost entirely off his "good bloke/one of the boys" image and his insight is s**t. All he does is bore everyone shitless with his updates from the Twittersphere and whatever "The Big Texan" has to say on a given issue. Awful commentator.
It's got to the stage where I don't care about a delay between the radio commentary, and what's happening on the TV. It's the lesser of 2 evils, as opposed to enduring the idiots on the TV.

Watching some of the game's from the 2000s with channel 10 commentary makes me realise how much of a loss Tim Lane is to the commentary scene. Understands the game, does not insult the viewer's intelligence and can string a sentence together without relying on buzz words and hyperbole. Unfortunately, he's not part of the channel 7/Foxtel boys club so no chance of a gig.

I miss Drew Morphett.

Apart from that time in 2011 that he declared Geelong's age of dominance to be over mid-game only for them to come back, win the game and then go on to win that year's flag.

Or commentating the 2004 Prelim as if it was the Diana Funeral at times.

(Gav from 50 on boundary): "It is a score... It is a major score"

Yeah cheers khent.

Or commentating the 2004 Prelim as if it was the Diana Funeral at times.

(Gav from 50 on boundary): "It is a score... It is a major score"

Yeah cheers khent.

"And they are there"

Sound a bit more disappointed you *stain.

Yeah, not a Tim Lane fan.

Its a sad state of affairs when he is put up as one of the better commentators of our game. At least he is more professional than most. Then again, the lack of quality alternatives is deafening by its silence....

Unfortunately, in todays media its like there is a belief that the commentary is the actual attraction rather than the game. Similar to how we believe the players make the game rather than the umpi.....oh wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back