News & Events The New Things You Are Doing Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

A thread where we post new things you're trying out to your usual daily/weekly/monthly routine and your experience with it.

Can pertain to anything. Even just new food you're trying, or that TV show you're currently bingeing.

- Recently I've been trying to get back into piano.
- Trying to improve my grade 3 Chinese.
- Bought a mini notebook I can carry around in my pocket and just write random stuff.
- Writing down a dream log. I write down the date I dreamed, whether it was a sleep or a nap, and whether it was a dream or a nightmare.
- Cleared out the pantry, made a list of healthy snacks and meals, and plan on making a food schedule.
- Downloaded Season 1 of Mom. Watched 5 minutes. Deleted it.
- Star Wars
- Rewatching Psych

What have you dreamt?
A lot of killing involved, whether that's me witnessing or doing it. The most notable nightmare was one of the first ones I had, a few weeks ago, where I was a notorious drug dealer, fleeing Australia to Shanghai.

Had a nap today, nightmare as usual now, couldn't really remember what happened but I did write "shooting?" in my dream log. I think I was killing someone (with dad) and the coppers were onto me.

Oh, another thing I'm trying is Spotify Premium.

I did say that once I started listening to podcasts, I'd never listen to music ever again, but I think my 2-3 month music free hiatus has made music a lot better. Currently using the free monthly trial, but will probably start paying 12 bucks a month for it tbh.

Oh, another thing I'm trying is Spotify Premium.

I did say that once I started listening to podcasts, I'd never listen to music ever again, but I think my 2-3 month music free hiatus has made music a lot better. Currently using the free monthly trial, but will probably start paying 12 bucks a month for it tbh.

I have it and get much use out of it. You can save tracks so that you can play them offline too, renders my iPod virtually useless.

Are there many French-speakers out west? I see the new PM is bi-lingual, I guess that's pretty common over there though.

Nah, not too common unless your family is originally from Quebec. My toddler is in a French immersion daycare though so I figure I should at least understand it at toddler level. Haha.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm planning to start learning some basic Spanish. I am travelling through South America for a couple of months next year so it will be pretty useful.

Has anyone had any experience teaching themselves another language as an adult? What kind of aids/tools/podcast/books, etc would you recommend. Don't mind spending some money if it's worth it.

I've started webering in the past few months. mainly pork ribs, but last weekend I did a pork butt as well. then shredded it into pulled pork. turned out well

I have it and get much use out of it. You can save tracks so that you can play them offline too, renders my iPod virtually useless.
Yeah, I used to always carry my iPod around but now that I've bought a new phone, I don't really need to worry about battery life, plus one less thing in my pockets, plus don't need to worry about charging the iPod, plus don't need to sync and download songs. Plus I love that I can check new songs on spotify so much easier.

What sort of music do you play?
Mostly just from the top 50 chart.

I just listen to the top 50, add the ones I like to a playlist. Now I'm going through new albums released and adding to my playlist.
If I made this thread a couple weeks ago, this would be true.

I tried listening to classical music during studying as it apparently boosts memory retention, but yeah, too boring compared to normal music.

I'm planning to start learning some basic Spanish. I am travelling through South America for a couple of months next year so it will be pretty useful.

Has anyone had any experience teaching themselves another language as an adult? What kind of aids/tools/podcast/books, etc would you recommend. Don't mind spending some money if it's worth it.

Find a class to enrol in. I'm doing a Chinese one next year, which is once a week, 2 hours.

Also download Duolingo on your phone. It's an app designed to learn a new language.

Learning a new language is all about memory retention. Spanish is easier I think because the structure follows English more closely, but the structure of Chinese is a bit different. So if I translate to English, it would sound very broken. Point is, don't try to reason why Spanish is spoken in x way, just accept that it is and try to remember it.

Personally, I find cue cards to remember words not very helpful, because it doesn't provide any context.

This might not be applicable to you yet, because I already have a basis of Chinese to work on, but I've been reading basic kids Chinese books, and just google translating any words I don't know.

The reason for this is; the words are simple, they are basic language rather than technical words, which is more useful for general speaking. When you learn the word, it gives a context of it, allowing better memory retention.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back