Toast The Stevie J 250 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Its really semantics. The Club could have met his demands. As it turns out the Club was right in saying they'd give Chappy 1 year only

Well! No one deserves to be put through having to re-read the interminable number of posts in the many Chappy conversations, so let me refresh your memory.:)

The question of whether Chappy was summarily moved on - ie given no choice as the Chapman push would like us to believe. Or whether he was offered a mentoring/development role while playing some ones or twos football -ie given a choice - was what the long conversation turned on in many respects. It certainly informed my viewpoint.

So to suggest it is merely semantics is pure poppycock. The view many took on that central question was what their viewpoint turned on and therefore was the subject of much of the discussion.

Back to this thread. SJs case is quite different in that he doesn't have the prolonged poor injury record that Chappy had and which he took to the Bombers. So I'm hoping his contract is extended albeit probably on a lesser amount. It might even include a development/mentoring role as by all accounts he has a lot to give in that sphere.

Thanks you JackFlash for some passion and sense. Agree whole heartedly. If the club is this stupid then heaven help us.

What makes people think if SJ was "retired" it would have anything to do with Chris Scott not being able to "handle" him?
I see no evidence of that.

SJ has always been SJ. No one will "handle" him, ever.

I would offer a 1 year deal at 1/3 off the $ he is currently on. No game restrictions as we may need him for all of them, but no guarantee he will always play ones either.

There is no way Geelong should allow Johnson to finish his career at another club, if it means sacking Scott and keeping Johnson for another year then sack the freaking coach! This will get ugly with supporters, nobody was happy with the Chapman de-listing and to repeat that so soon would be a huge PR mistake. Johnson is quite capable of kicking 40 goals next year, announce that 2016 is his final year, but do not let him go to Richmond or Collingwood for a season. Imagine Selwood with Dangerfield and Motlop and NO Stevie J? It's insane to think about it? I have a bad feeling that Geelong are going to screw this up. I hope i'm dead wrong. SIGN JOHNSON UP NOW!
If Chris Scott can't handle his eccentricities then Scott can bugger off!

sounds like some people were

Well, after playing a prelim and losing by just five points, I would have said it was a no-brainer keeping on a big-game match-winner and club champion in Paul Chapman.

Whilst he's no longer a midfielder, he still looks dangerous up forward. If parked up that end of the ground, I think he definitely has value at Geelong next year. Also a valuable tutor to the kids coming through.
So I take it you didn't hear Gerard Whateley's comments this week on 360??

I would definitely offer Johnson another year.

You don't just give up your second best goalkicker when you're a team struggling to kick goals.
That's it for me, the reason he should be retained, he still hits the scoreboard.

Let's say we get our trade and FA targets and that allows more forward minutes for SJ, can you really see some first or 2nd year trier being sent to SJ as a small defender? Nope. He'd still demand a good quality defender and that gif from TurtleBots shows why, still has a good goal sense and knows where to be as well.

I did not. What did the fat slob's spineless sidekick have to say?
Firstly awfully harsh on Gerard. Good man and good journalist.

He said and I quote. "Will be remembered as one of the greats through this era at Geelong"

"With Chapman, Geelong made the right decision but so did Chapman, I'm glad he played for the last two years and got it completely out of his system"

Firstly awfully harsh on Gerard. Good man and good journalist.

He said and I quote. "Will be remembered as one of the greats through this era at Geelong"

"With Chapman, Geelong made the right decision but so did Chapman, I'm glad he played for the last two years and got it completely out of his system"

Lost a lot of respect for him when he sat there and let that drunken, idiotic slob drone on about a story that had no substance and no point other than to serve as an obvious deflection piece for Essendon. It would have been nice for Gerard to question the journalistic standards that led to those stories being published in the HUN, but he didn't dare say a word.

It was a good move for Chapman to make, absolutely. Still hard to say whether it was the right move on the club's end. Yeah, he's had a poor year this year. So have plenty of the other Geelong vets, yet they weren't shipped off after winning an SF off their own boot, and we could have done with Chapman more than them in 2014.

Lost a lot of respect for him when he sat there and let that drunken, idiotic slob drone on about a story that had no substance and no point other than to serve as an obvious deflection piece for Essendon. It would have been nice for Gerard to question the journalistic standards that led to those stories being published in the HUN, but he didn't dare say a word.

It was a good move for Chapman to make, absolutely. Still hard to say whether it was the right move on the club's end. Yeah, he's had a poor year this year. So have plenty of the other Geelong vets, yet they weren't shipped off after winning an SF off their own boot, and we could have done with Chapman more than them in 2014.
Of course it was the right move by the club. Many have being saying to you for 18 months that is was prudent to only offer one year to a guy that managed 8/24 games in 2013, or in other words 33% of the season.... and what do you know he succumbed to injury this year.

If the club does decide to retain SJ, does that mean that you'll move on and put the whole Chapman "thing" behind you? Particularly now that Chapman will be retired from the game? Or is this something that you're going to take to your grave? :eek:

Now that Chapman has retired, I doubt I'll bring it up as much. I can't really point to Chapman's performances anymore. If SJ goes, I think that is a similarly poor decision, though, so that will re-open the wound somewhat. I'll always consider it a poor decision and a tragedy that Chapman didn't remain a one-club player. As time passes, though, the argument loses relevance so I'm sure I'll eventually stop talking about it, except for those threads which pop up like "worst decisions made by the club" and "reflecting on the Chris Scott era".

Now that Chapman has retired, I doubt I'll bring it up as much. I can't really point to Chapman's performances anymore. If SJ goes, I think that is a similarly poor decision, though, so that will re-open the wound somewhat. I'll always consider it a poor decision and a tragedy that Chapman didn't remain a one-club player. As time passes, though, the argument loses relevance so I'm sure I'll eventually stop talking about it, except for those threads which pop up like "worst decisions made by the club" and "reflecting on the Chris Scott era".
Fair call and I appreciate your response. I loved Chapman aswell and I still love him just as much now as I ever did when he left a couple of years ago. It wasn't just hard on you, you know? Seriously! He's a legend, but time stands still for no one unfortunately.

I agreed with you that at the time he should have been given a 1 year guaranteed contract of playing the majority of games throughout 2014. But you know what? I was wrong and so were you. As it turned out, the club gave him exactly what he was worth and he decided not to take it. That is his fault, not the clubs, can't you see that? Anyway, I've said my piece and I will now let it go. Just so long as you know that you weren't the only one hurting after Chappy left... We all were mate.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back to this thread. SJs case is quite different in that he doesn't have the prolonged poor injury record that Chappy had and which he took to the Bombers.

Geez I wish this urban legend could be put to bed, Chappy did not have a "prolonged" poor injury record, apart from 2013 he hadn't played less then nineteen games in any one year since 2003, and managed twenty of a possible twenty two in 2014 despite taking his mythical injuries to Essendon.

Geez I wish this urban legend could be put to bed, Chappy did not have a "prolonged" poor injury record, apart from 2013 he hadn't played less then nineteen games in any one year since 2003, and managed twenty of a possible twenty two in 2014 despite taking his mythical injuries to Essendon.
Fair enough. In his last three years he has missed most of the season through injury in two of them though. Which is the crucial bit when it comes to any discussion re the rights or wrongs of the Cats decision to make him a reduced offer.

Murdoch Vardy Lang

Menzel Hawkins SJ

That'll do me.
Yes.

Murdoch should be played around goals, and not across half back or as a negating player.

That forward line is a good mix of speed, agility, height, strength and goal sense.

Most of which we haven't had near goals this year.

I'd prefer to keep SJ but his clowning is a bit too much. Probably says a bit more about Scott unable to discipline him.

He is certainly more valuable than Bartel who will probably get another year.

I'd prefer to keep SJ but his clowning is a bit too much. Probably says a bit more about Scott unable to discipline him.

He is certainly more valuable than Bartel who will probably get another year.

because he was so disciplined under Thompson .....

What makes people think if SJ was "retired" it would have anything to do with Chris Scott not being able to "handle" him?
I see no evidence of that.

SJ has always been SJ. No one will "handle" him, ever.
Ryan Crowley and Stevie Baker did alright on him from memory

Remove this Banner Ad

Back