Club History The Sth Melb/Sydney Swans history thread: 150 years 1874 - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

on this day in 2014 we sh*t the bed in the grand final
On this day in 1996 Wayne Carey captained the Kangaroos to a Grand Final win over the Swans

The Swans had previously traded him to the Kangaroos for $10,000

Tony Lockett kicked 6 goals and the Norm Smith went to Glen Archer

I grew up in Launceston, not that far from York Park, so I became a North Launceston supporter as a young fella.

I remember the first three years I followed the Robins they had little success - I think they won 12 games from 69-71.

In 1972 in an attempt to turn the club around, they did some serious recruiting, including a new coach from the VFL - South Melbourne's Tony Haenen.

Tony got the club into the finals in all three years, including losing to the all-conquering Scottsdale in the 73 Grand Final.

I can't recall why he didn't continue on - in any case he was replaced by another VFL sourced coach - Peter Daniel from Essendon, who then led North to a period of great success.

Many only remember the Peter Daniel years, but I for one have great respect for Tony's period as coach, he turned around a really battling club and laid the foundation for what was to come.

Sadly Tony Haenen passed away about 5 years ago.

Thanks for that. In another thread I meant to mention Tony as one of our best contested marks. He was also a terrific player for the mighty Borough.

No idea, I didn't know him. Died when I was 10, but my mum did say he was quite the character.
My dad says Ted Whitfield was a gun footballer and mentioned as a potential VFL recruit long after he had left South. I don't think my dad would have seen him play in the VFL, but might have seen him play in Gippsland.

Ted is in this past players photo from the 1950s, so presumably he was popular at South.

http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/17050

We have been s*t a lot of the 149 years really, but love the ****** club
I feel very blessed to have only known the Swans as a successful club.

I picked up a red & white scarf and became obsessed with Tony Lockett when I was two years old (so I was told.) That was the year after we'd just made our first grand final in 52 years.

I then spent a few years being too young to know my left butt cheek from my right butt cheek, but the first year I started to really become a "fan" - as in watching every game, learning all the players, kicking couch cushions across the room when we'd lose - was in 2003, and I was eight years old and we made a preliminary final and had a Brownlow Medalist that year.

I had no idea I'd started avidly supporting the Swans right when we were on the cusp of an incredible run of success where I'd only see my team miss finals again three more seasons in the next decade. It makes it incredibly bearable to now most likely have a fourth.

As far as I'm aware this is a little controversial because we were the result of a merger between two clubs, one of which was formed in 1867 and the other in 1874. The one formed in 1867 gave us our red and white strip. Anyway, the club has clearly chosen to favour the narrative that we were born in 1874 and, as they say, the winners write history.

Just need to wear the BIGV every game
I can't agree with your on-going campaign about exclusively wearing the Big V.

Don't get me wrong, I like the design and happy for it to be worn at Victorian fixtures.

But you're just dipping into the part of the club's history that resonates with you. Another generation would say the same about the horizontal stripes. Personally, I like the the sash of the 1909 team. Do I think it should be worn every week? No.

One of the great things about the Swans is we are two cities, one club. For many NSW-based fans, the V represents Victoria, and while I'm all for honouring our heritage and ongoing support for SM supporters, inclusion in many forms (indigenous round etc) is a good thing.

Let's be inclusive, even Pride Round which I know you aren't crazy about.

We are a team of many designs, but proudly the same two colours*.

IMG-0903.jpg

download-2.jpg

* Apologies to my art teacher who told me white isn't a colour

Attachments

• swans1896-1.webp
    70.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG-0903.jpg
    IMG-0903.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:
As far as I'm aware this is a little controversial because we were the result of a merger between two clubs, one of which was formed in 1867 and the other in 1874. The one formed in 1867 gave us our red and white strip. Anyway, the club has clearly chosen to favour the narrative that we were born in 1874 and, as they say, the winners write history.

Albert Park formed in 1867 but didn't merge with South Melbourne until 1880 (Albert Park also had a year merged with North Melbourne so.....) so you can define a clear path from South Melbourne's start date in 1874 to the current day. To get to 1867 you have to branch off the path somewhat in 1880.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Albert Park formed in 1867 but didn't merge with South Melbourne until 1880 (Albert Park also had a year merged with North Melbourne so.....) so you can define a clear path from South Melbourne's start date in 1874 to the current day. To get to 1867 you have to branch off the path somewhat in 1880.

This is the article I'm basing my comment on: Our history: South Melbourne foundations. Here is a relevant extract with some parts bolded for emphasis by me:

It is believed the first football club in the area was Emerald Hill, which played near the old Albert Park railway station. Within five years a second club, Albert Park, was based at St Vincent’s Gardens, and in 1867 Emerald Hill and Albert Hill merged to become the South Melbourne Football Club. The new entity played its first game against South Yarra on July 13, 1867 when neither team scored.

But less than a year later the original South Melbourne club changed its name to Emerald Hill, upsetting many of the old Albert Park group.

The new Emerald Hill club played at an area known as ‘Three Chain Road’, which was later part of Albert Road, and quickly became one of Melbourne’s strongest clubs.

It was a turbulent time. In 1869 at the club’s annual general meeting a vote was taken to change the name back to South Melbourne, but after the former Albert Park group left the meeting the motion was rescinded and instead it became known as Albert Park.

In 1870 Albert Park played in the South Yarra Presentation Cup, the foremost competition of the era, and wore red and white striped guernseys. So striking was the uniform that the players were known as ‘those red and white beauties’.

Albert Park enjoyed modest success until June 1874, when a rival group formed the new Cecil Football Club. Within a month, the new club changed its name to the South Melbourne Football Club, and after a complicated beginning this was the club that would subsequently relocate to Sydney to become the Sydney Swans.

But still there was one more twist. The Albert Park club continued to operate as a separate entity and became the most powerful club in the area. Other clubs included South Park, South Melbourne Imperials, Rising Sun, Emerald Hill Standards, St Vincent’s, Excelsio and Southern.

In 1878, the most powerful clubs in the colony formed the Victorian Football Association. Albert Park was among them, and in the first season they played 11 matches for one win, three losses and seven matches that were described as ‘unfinished’. One match against Melbourne attracted 3000 fans, but the rival South Melbourne club was on the rise.

South Melbourne stepped up to the senior competition in 1879 and finished third behind Geelong and Carlton. With Albert Park on the wane, the two parties amalgamated in 1880, compromising on name and colours.

South Melbourne kept its name but abandoned their blue and white strip in favour of the red and white of Albert Park.

So, our current club came to exist following the merger of two clubs in 1880 - one dating back to 1867 and the other to 1874. Both clubs were called the South Melbourne football club at different times. The 1867 club is where we got our red and white strip from. Why do choose to consider that we are more the 1874 founded club than the 1867 founded club? I really don't get it. (Except for the fact that we may miss the chance to cash in on sesquicentennial merchandise next year.)

Maybe some of these posts could be moved to a new 'History' thread? It would be great to have these things gathered together in one spot where they could be easy to find.

On the topic of 'two cities, one club', I recently met a fella who has been a diehard Swans fan (and member - with certificate of appreciation proudly displayed on his wall at home) since 1982 when we arrived in the Emerald City. He is quite opposed to the idea us being connected with South Melbourne and considers us an entirely new club that started in 1982. Personally, I'm really proud and enamoured of our South Melbourne origins and embrace them every chance I get.

Nah, its John Citizen's card.. with lots of the number 9 in it... (from an ANZ promotion quite a few years ago actually)

I should admit, that I have a real passion for collecting football memorabilia & talking to the past to try to connect the past with the present. Maybe the Swans would like to put together a museum & all of us collectors can contribute to it to keep the past relevant to the present members & supporters as well as our future players & supporters.

The club does want to create a museum in the front of the new HQ (NE cnr). They are looking for patrons. (And was that what they started selling 'bricks' for?)

Maybe some of these posts could be moved to a new 'History' thread? It would be great to have these things gathered together in one spot where they could be easy to find.

On the topic of 'two cities, one club', I recently met a fella who has been a diehard Swans fan (and member - with certificate of appreciation proudly displayed on his wall at home) since 1982 when we arrived in the Emerald City. He is quite opposed to the idea us being connected with South Melbourne and considers us an entirely new club that started in 1982. Personally, I'm really proud and enamoured of our South Melbourne origins and embrace them every chance I get.
I'd love to meet him

I can't agree with your on-going campaign about exclusively wearing the Big V.

Don't get me wrong, I like the design and happy for it to be worn at Victorian fixtures.

But you're just dipping into the part of the club's history that resonates with you. Another generation would say the same about the horizontal stripes. Personally, I like the the sash of the 1909 team. Do I think it should be worn every week? No.

One of the great things about the Swans is we are two cities, one club. For many NSW-based fans, the V represents Victoria, and while I'm all for honouring our heritage and ongoing support for SM supporters, inclusion in many forms (indigenous round etc) is a good thing.

Let's be inclusive, even Pride Round which I know you aren't crazy about.

We are a team of many designs, but proudly the same two colours*.

View attachment 1717421

View attachment 1717412

* Apologies to my art teacher who told me white isn't a colour
FWIW i'm not the only 1 pushing the V it is just a good jumper and the red seems to stand out more

I picked up a red & white scarf and became obsessed with Tony Lockett when I was two years old (so I was told.) That was the year after we'd just made our first grand final in 52 years.

I then spent a few years being too young to know my left butt cheek from my right butt cheek, but the first year I started to really become a "fan" - as in watching every game, learning all the players, kicking couch cushions across the room when we'd lose - was in 2003, and I was eight years old and we made a preliminary final and had a Brownlow Medalist that year.

I had no idea I'd started avidly supporting the Swans right when we were on the cusp of an incredible run of success where I'd only see my team miss finals again three more seasons in the next decade. It makes it incredibly bearable to now most likely have a fourth.

My grandfather (RIP) started supporting the swans as a young kid in the late 1930s. Fortunately for me he didn't realise what he was on the cusp of.

Nice

I guess most of my life now we have been competitive , I started watching from 3 in 86, so formative primary years we were a joke . I have no right too, but half wait for that to happen again 😂

Yes that as well , just looks good

I support the V as an away guernsey - just wear it 11/12 times a year .

But I like the opera house part of the home guernsey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back