Club History The Sth Melb/Sydney Swans history thread: 150 years 1874 - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

For folks living in Sydney there is a great lunchtime event being put on by the NSW AFL History Association.

Three absolute legends of our Club, each of whom have made long term contributions to footy in NSW are appearing on a panel together.

Steve Taubert - the legendary Ruck Whisperer who has helped generations of Swans’ rucks
David Murphy - a very talented and supremely brave wingman
Rod, the Tilt, Carter - one of our all time great Full Backs. *

* I swear I cheered Tilt’s one and only goal in VFL/AFL in the mid 80s louder than Pluggers goal when he broke the record or when Franklin kicked his 1000th. His team mates and the crowd went nuts.

Rod, the Tilt, Carter - one of our all time great Full Backs. *

* I swear I cheered Tilt’s one and only goal in VFL/AFL in the mid 80s louder than Pluggers goal when he broke the record or when Franklin kicked his 1000th. His team mates and the crowd went nuts.
I remember it well.
I also remember that upon his retirement from AFL, he joined Sydney Uni as coach.
In his first game he selected himself at centre half forward and his first ever kick in Sydney footy was a goal. Teammates and crowd went nuts, but I suspect the crowd was fewer in number than those on the field.

I went. It was a small, low-key but good event organised by some dedicated people.

There were about 40 people in the room all told, 90% blokes, I'd say everyone was over 50.

First they handed out some awards for NSW origin players. Errol was best, Blakey was second best (they were using AFLCA coaches' votes to decide). Kieran 'Brigga' Briggs was most improved or rising star.

Next, Richard Colless launched a book about the history of Australian Rules footy in NSW (available for sale for $45 - I'm sure they'd be grateful to sell more copies and you could get it by contacting the History Society). He noted that footy was played in NSW/Sydney before any other footy code (e.g. rugby, soccer).

Then, the main event: Rocket, Taubo and Murph taking some well researched questions, sitting on stools up the front. There weren't a lot of colourful anecdotes. Each of those men had coached teams in the Sydney AFL competition (Sydney Uni, St George and Campbelltown respectively) and talked a bit about their experiences doing that as well as their footy careers.

Rod Carter talked about his first goal. He said he had had two previous shots for goal, one of which (his 200th game) he was so nervous he had jelly legs. He said on the day he got the goal we were comfortably beating Melbourne and he was sent down forward so he could get a goal. Capper got the ball and, somewhat hesitantly, dished it off to Rod and he kicked the goal. He said he reckoned he was carrying about 8 teammates on his back down to the other end of the field.

Steve Taubert said he retired after his best season despite being contracted another 2 years because he got injured in the pre-season following and he just felt it was time plus he wanted to look after his family. If I heard correctly he said that he got dubbed 'The Ruck Whisperer' by Tim Watson. He said he enjoyed his 19 years as a ruck coach (1999-2018) at the Swans and intriguingly said he got to see the best and worst of Rocket Eade, Paul Roos and John Longmire without really elaborating.

David Murphy didn't speak very much about his playing days at the Swans. He was pretty humble about being nominated to the Swans Team of the Century and said it was a reflection of the fact that it was a century where we went 70 years without a flag. He talked a bit more about coaching Campbelltown and how they were a good team. I gathered he played himself in the team and played down back which he described as surprisingly easy compared to being on the wing or forward (which amused and annoyed Rod).

Finally there was a raffle drawn and lunch at the bar. I was too shy to stay for lunch, not knowing anyone. I did ask Taubo on the way out what he thought of our current rucks and he said it will be good if we get Grundy.

I went. It was a small, low-key but good event organised by some dedicated people.

There were about 40 people in the room all told, 90% blokes, I'd say everyone was over 50.

First they handed out some awards for NSW origin players. Errol was best, Blakey was second best (they were using AFLCA coaches' votes to decide). Kieran 'Brigga' Briggs was most improved or rising star.

Next, Richard Colless launched a book about the history of Australian Rules footy in NSW (available for sale for $45 - I'm sure they'd be grateful to sell more copies and you could get it by contacting the History Society). He noted that footy was played in NSW/Sydney before any other footy code (e.g. rugby, soccer).

Then, the main event: Rocket, Taubo and Murph taking some well researched questions, sitting on stools up the front. There weren't a lot of colourful anecdotes. Each of those men had coached teams in the Sydney AFL competition (Sydney Uni, St George and Campbelltown respectively) and talked a bit about their experiences doing that as well as their footy careers.

Rod Carter talked about his first goal. He said he had had two previous shots for goal, one of which (his 200th game) he was so nervous he had jelly legs. He said on the day he got the goal we were comfortably beating Melbourne and he was sent down forward so he could get a goal. Capper got the ball and, somewhat hesitantly, dished it off to Rod and he kicked the goal. He said he reckoned he was carrying about 8 teammates on his back down to the other end of the field.

Steve Taubert said he retired after his best season despite being contracted another 2 years because he got injured in the pre-season following and he just felt it was time plus he wanted to look after his family. If I heard correctly he said that he got dubbed 'The Ruck Whisperer' by Tim Watson. He said he enjoyed his 19 years as a ruck coach (1999-2018) at the Swans and intriguingly said he got to see the best and worst of Rocket Eade, Paul Roos and John Longmire without really elaborating.

David Murphy didn't speak very much about his playing days at the Swans. He was pretty humble about being nominated to the Swans Team of the Century and said it was a reflection of the fact that it was a century where we went 70 years without a flag. He talked a bit more about coaching Campbelltown and how they were a good team. I gathered he played himself in the team and played down back which he described as surprisingly easy compared to being on the wing or forward (which amused and annoyed Rod).

Finally there was a raffle drawn and lunch at the bar. I was too shy to stay for lunch, not knowing anyone. I did ask Taubo on the way out what he thought of our current rucks and he said it will be good if we get Grundy.

thanks for the great report.

Just following up on this report, I found this: Another Episode on Steven Taubert – The Ruck Whisperer – NSW Australian Football History Society Inc. It appears it was published before the event but Taubo recapitulated a lot of these comments at the event so it almost could have been a report about the event.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just following up on this report, I found this: Another Episode on Steven Taubert – The Ruck Whisperer – NSW Australian Football History Society Inc. It appears it was published before the event but Taubo recapitulated a lot of these comments at the event so it almost could have been a report about the event.

Thanks so much for that. I met Taubo at Monash in the 70s along with his mate Brent Crosswell (what a player he was). Taubo was a really smart and nice bloke.

After a few years away from the club Taubert will be back again next year to work with the Swans Academy. His involvement with the next generation of players continues an amazing service to the Red and White.
This is good news to have Taubert at the academy

I remember it well.
I also remember that upon his retirement from AFL, he joined Sydney Uni as coach.
In his first game he selected himself at centre half forward and his first ever kick in Sydney footy was a goal. Teammates and crowd went nuts, but I suspect the crowd was fewer in number than those on the field.
Also lucky enough to have witnessed both those goals live. If I remember correctly it was against Wests Magpies.

The 1909 VFL grand final, South Melbourne v Carlton, is apparently the longest piece of Australian pre-1910 film footage.

It was South's first premiership. Carlton had won the previous three and went on to lose the following year against the Pies.

Here it is as part of a history doco on VFL footy, with some interesting commentary. Lots of people in hats, Swans in the sash guernsey, with the sash going in various directions, goal umpires wearing suits [from 2:23 to 12:37]

Here's the original footage without commentary.

THere's a short colourised version narrated by Sandy Roberts on Youtube also if you're really keen.

The 1909 VFL grand final, South Melbourne v Carlton, is apparently the longest piece of Australian pre-1910 film footage.

It was South's first premiership. Carlton had won the previous three and went on to lose the following year against the Pies.

Here it is as part of a history doco on VFL footy, with some interesting commentary. Lots of people in hats, Swans in the sash guernsey, with the sash going in various directions, goal umpires wearing suits [from 2:23 to 12:37]

THere's a short colourised version narrated by Sandy Roberts on Youtube also if you're really keen.

Umpiring trying to stop South

Dear Mr Horace, what was the atmosphere like at the ground that day ?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back