Club History The Sth Melb/Sydney Swans history thread: 150 years 1874 - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

We have been s*t a lot of the 149 years really, but love the ****** club
I can't wait for all the smart arses next year who are going to say we're only 30+ years old.

Which by the way is incorrect, the articles under which the club is written has only changed its name, the rest still harks back to South Melbourne. I had a link about that but lost the ruddy thing.

So, our current club came to exist following the merger of two clubs in 1880 - one dating back to 1867 and the other to 1874. Both clubs were called the South Melbourne football club at different times. The 1867 club is where we got our red and white strip from. Why do choose to consider that we are more the 1874 founded club than the 1867 founded club? I really don't get it. (Except for the fact that we may miss the chance to cash in on sesquicentennial merchandise next year.)

In the simplest terms, the club as we know it was formed in 1874, and the club for quite some time has traced the starting point of the club from that point, playing out of the Lake Oval and directly back to the modern day. The 1867 club has no link prior to the merger in 1880 other than the colors that we started using after the merger.

The big reason we can't use the history of Albert Park is that Albert Park in 1876 merged with North Melbourne before North re-established as a stand-alone club under a new name. Are you going to make the claim that we should therefore consider North Melbourne's history prior to its merging with Albert Park because of that link? I certainly wouldn't.

In that era, clubs changed their colors often and names would be used for a short period, stop then start being used by a new club.

Hawthorn traces their history as starting from 1902 despite there being records of clubs using the name Hawthorn Football Club dating back as far as 1873, Richmond traces their history as starting from 1885 despite there being a Richmond Football Club dating back to 1860 and St Kilda traces their history as from 1873 despite there being a St Kilda Football Club dating back to 1858 so the sharing/use of the South Melbourne name is not unusual in that case.

Albert Park is its own club with its own history. We are our own club with our own history, we don't need to start claiming other clubs history.

I can't wait for all the smart arses next year who are going to say we're only 30+ years old.

Which by the way is incorrect, the articles under which the club is written has only changed its name, the rest still harks back to South Melbourne. I had a link about that but lost the ruddy thing.

The ASIC documents, I have seen them as well might need to see if I can hunt them down.

Can hardly wait .
I remember a final at the SCG against the Saints and it was pissing down , Plugger could hardly get a touch and this couple next to me said Lockett off he's hopeless . I'd had a few and said how long have you followed the club , they said from the start , i said at the Lake Oval they said no the start in Sydney (6 years ffs) anyhow we won thanks to MOL . The next week we got done by the Crows on another wet Sydney night.
I have believe it or not embraced the 2 cities 1 team , it's just dumb f wits like them make me angry.
Thank god for people like Coless and Willesee

So robbie we deregistered the name and the greeks got the name for SM Hellas

Not entirely. South Melbourne Hellas were provided use of the "South Melbourne Football Club" business name through a separate company called South Melbourne Football Club Ltd which holds the business name.

The Swans have registered many business names which include South Melbourne and SMFC so we can benefit from the use of the name in that way.

Not entirely. South Melbourne Hellas were provided use of the "South Melbourne Football Club" business name through a separate company called South Melbourne Football Club Ltd which holds the business name.

The Swans have registered many business names which include South Melbourne and SMFC so we can benefit from the use of the name in that way.
Thank you , never understood all that

In the simplest terms, the club as we know it was formed in 1874, and the club for quite some time has traced the starting point of the club from that point, playing out of the Lake Oval and directly back to the modern day. The 1867 club has no link prior to the merger in 1880 other than the colors that we started using after the merger.

The big reason we can't use the history of Albert Park is that Albert Park in 1876 merged with North Melbourne before North re-established as a stand-alone club under a new name. Are you going to make the claim that we should therefore consider North Melbourne's history prior to its merging with Albert Park because of that link? I certainly wouldn't.

In that era, clubs changed their colors often and names would be used for a short period, stop then start being used by a new club.

Hawthorn traces their history as starting from 1902 despite there being records of clubs using the name Hawthorn Football Club dating back as far as 1873, Richmond traces their history as starting from 1885 despite there being a Richmond Football Club dating back to 1860 and St Kilda traces their history as from 1873 despite there being a St Kilda Football Club dating back to 1858 so the sharing/use of the South Melbourne name is not unusual in that case.

Albert Park is its own club with its own history. We are our own club with our own history, we don't need to start claiming other clubs history.

I am intrigued by your references to 19th century history and the history of other clubs (which I am unfamiliar with) but I don't fundamentally understand why you (and others) identify 1874 as the starting point of our club. In particular I also don't understand how you can say "The 1867 club has no link prior to the merger in 1880" - what does that mean? It was one of the two separate (unlinked) clubs that linked themselves together in 1880.

I really want to understand so I hope you'll have the patience to explain it some more. I get the impression you know more about this than I do and I am eager to learn. I have already put on record the source material I am basing my opinions on (that article by Blucher). Now I will try to explain my thought process and perhaps you can tell me where I'm going wrong or, if not wrong, where I could/should look at it differently.

My starting point is that if two clubs merge and form one club, the new entity is equally indebted to both and the history of both belong to the new entity and I can't see why one would be privileged over the other. Possibly the way it was done legally was not quite a merger but more of one club taking over the other, in which case it would make more sense but I have no information about that.

So then I try to think more, is the privileging of the 1874 entity because of its name? But both clubs changed their names at different times and both used the name 'South Melbourne Football Club' at times before the merger (as you note, changing names was common in the era). So that doesn't explain anything to me.

Is it the team colours (which is something that is held very dear by many fans) - but that belongs to the 1867 club (as does the nickname the "red and white beauties") - so that doesn't explain it for me either.

Is it the venue at which the club was based? I don't know the history about where the clubs were based other than what is said in the article. Is this what you're getting at in your not-quite-grammatical sentence about the club "playing out of the Lake Oval and directly back to the modern day"? Are you saying 1880 club continued to use the 1874 established entity's home base and playing field up until we relocated to Sydney and that's why we should consider this our club? That would make some sense to me but I don't know if this is in fact the history. Do you? Can you provide any references?

I am definitely interested to hear that a lot of the other clubs could potentially trace their roots back to dates older than their claimed establishment dates. I also had no awareness of NMFC's connection with Albert Park.

I am proud of our club's history and I like to be informed about it, especially when I come across Victorians who try sneering at the Swans and Sydney (which unfortunately happens not infrequently, most recently from a Hawthorn supporter at a recent national conference for work). So, if you have the patience to explain what you're saying to me more, I would be grateful. I would like to understand why the club uses 1874 as our start date.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I assume our 150th Anniversary game will be at the SCG, as it should be, and that we will probably ask for a Friday night game against a big drawer (eg Collingwood).

I do wonder what strip will we wear for the game.
Generally clubs will produce a one-off guernsey based on an existing design, for example listing each player to have represented the club at senior level.

I would actually like the Big V to be the basis of that design, recognising the history and heritage and the two cities one club motto.

Not something I'd get worked up about but perhaps a nice nod to the past on the 150th.

Here's a link to the Constitution: https://resources.sydneyswans.com.a...Limited-Constitution-12th-May-2021-update.pdf. It's on the bottom of the club's webpages. Interestingly it is without fanfare quite often updated. For instance in recent years one of the changes was to increase the number of directors.

Already confirmed by Harley that they have requested it to be at the MCG, but will be a season full of events
Hopefully they announce it early so I can tell work to go and get ****ed if it's on a Friday

I do wonder what strip will we wear for the game.
Generally clubs will produce a one-off guernsey based on an existing design, for example listing each player to have represented the club at senior level.

I would actually like the Big V to be the basis of that design, recognising the history and heritage and the two cities one club motto.

Not something I'd get worked up about but perhaps a nice nod to the past on the 150th.

I would like to see a whole season of designs rather than a one off. The Red Vee shouldn't be the jumper for the 150th game as its now our clash jumper and will be worn during the season.

I would like to see either our original jumper (think Geelong Hoops) or second jumper (Geelong Hoops with a Red Sash) for the 150th game and then use during the season the Red SMFC emblem design and the original Opera House design with the white back and red side panel. You could get 4 jumpers mixing in use of the Red Vee and still have the Red Sash and Red Hoops jumpers left over.

Hopefully they announce it early so I can tell work to go and get ****ed if it's on a Friday

I wouldn't count on it being a Friday or even in Prime Time

Can hardly wait .
I remember a final at the SCG against the Saints and it was pissing down , Plugger could hardly get a touch and this couple next to me said Lockett off he's hopeless . I'd had a few and said how long have you followed the club , they said from the start , i said at the Lake Oval they said no the start in Sydney (6 years ffs) anyhow we won thanks to MOL . The next week we got done by the Crows on another wet Sydney night.
I have believe it or not embraced the 2 cities 1 team , it's just dumb f wits like them make me angry.
Thank god for people like Coless and Willesee
Go to any SCG Game and you can multiply them by at least 2,000.

For weird reasons, including a very unlucky knee that he once treated in the mid 60s, I thought last night of Bill Mitchell.

bedford may know whether this has already happened, but I think it would be great if there was an off-field honour, named after Mitchell.

18 years ago today Leo Barry you star

Remove this Banner Ad

Back