The Toon Army Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting article on (yet to be confirmed) new CB Lascelles. Looks a great prospect at 20yo!

http://www.squawka.com/news/is-jama...er-league-football-at-newcastle-united/153494

Touted as a future international captain.. Has leadership written all over him! I watched a few of his games and he is really composed and doesn't make mistakes, he is really strong in the air and is probably capable to play in our first team now given how weak we are. I'm just seriously looking forward to his partnership with Good, hopefully Curtis comes on like we all think he will.

Touted as a future international captain.. Has leadership written all over him! I watched a few of his games and he is really composed and doesn't make mistakes, he is really strong in the air and is probably capable to play in our first team now given how weak we are. I'm just seriously looking forward to his partnership with Good, hopefully Curtis comes on like we all think he will.

He sounds very exciting as a prospect - can't wait to get a look at him. I think one of the conditions of the sale was we had to loan him back to them for the season? Wouldn't be bad if we could get him even in January.

I actually think our best CB pairing would be Yanga and Willo as they seemed to strike up a good partnership last season when Colo was out (clean sheets at Spurs and Chelsea I think?). The only problem being Pardew probably can't (or won't) drop Colo despite being out of form this preseason.

Decent article about it in the chronicle. Wouldn't mind trying to bring in 1 more CB (assuming we can get Lacazette over the line) just to finish off the squad.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor...s/lee-ryder-fabricio-coloccinis-place-7572813

He sounds very exciting as a prospect - can't wait to get a look at him. I think one of the conditions of the sale was we had to loan him back to them for the season? Wouldn't be bad if we could get him even in January.

I actually think our best CB pairing would be Yanga and Willo as they seemed to strike up a good partnership last season when Colo was out (clean sheets at Spurs and Chelsea I think?). The only problem being Pardew probably can't (or won't) drop Colo despite being out of form this preseason.

Decent article about it in the chronicle. Wouldn't mind trying to bring in 1 more CB (assuming we can get Lacazette over the line) just to finish off the squad.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor...s/lee-ryder-fabricio-coloccinis-place-7572813

I'm so disappointed with Mapou man, he had the biggest reputation in France and chose us over some so called bigger clubs, he captain Montpellier as a 20yr old!
Haha don't read into that clean sheet at Spurs, Krul made about 15 saves! They should have put 5 past is that day, a bit of a fluke.
Colo is disgusting now, he has lost all his pace and doesn't jump with the same spring. The thing is Colo has never been good positioning himself even at his best, but he got away with it because of his speed, now that's gone he's barely a championship defender. There are so many good CB's and they cost half the amount of quality midfielders and a third of what a striker or centre half would set you back. Van Dijk is available for around 8-10mill which we won't cough up, the re-sell value for Ashley isn't there.

New home kit is rubbish.

0,,10278~13016748,00.jpg

Home kit unveiled - don't mind it apart from that yucky Wonga logo! Plenty of black and white stripes and the gold trim is nice.

I'm so disappointed with Mapou man, he had the biggest reputation in France and chose us over some so called bigger clubs, he captain Montpellier as a 20yr old!
Haha don't read into that clean sheet at Spurs, Krul made about 15 saves! They should have put 5 past is that day, a bit of a fluke.
Colo is disgusting now, he has lost all his pace and doesn't jump with the same spring. The thing is Colo has never been good positioning himself even at his best, but he got away with it because of his speed, now that's gone he's barely a championship defender. There are so many good CB's and they cost half the amount of quality midfielders and a third of what a striker or centre half would set you back. Van Dijk is available for around 8-10mill which we won't cough up, the re-sell value for Ashley isn't there.

New home kit is rubbish.

I have faith in him haha - Colo took a bit of time to find his feet as well. I think if Pardew gave him a decent run at CB (and not RB lol) next to a solid partner, he'd go well - just needs confidence. Has probably the most pace out of any of our CBs (not sure about Good?) but needs more composure for sure. He's a French international, captained his side to a Ligue 1 title and played in the CL, he can't be 'that' bad! I think him and Willo had a good mix together and might have kept 4-5 clean sheets between them? I'd definitely love to bring someone in if we could, but if not, I hope he gets his chance. Certainly prefer him to Saylor :D

Not a fan of the new kit mate? The wonga logo really brings it down for sure but overall I think it's not bad (was expecting worse!).

I have faith in him haha - Colo took a bit of time to find his feet as well. I think if Pardew gave him a decent run at CB (and not RB lol) next to a solid partner, he'd go well - just needs confidence. Has probably the most pace out of any of our CBs (not sure about Good?) but needs more composure for sure. He's a French international, captained his side to a Ligue 1 title and played in the CL, he can't be 'that' bad! I think him and Willo had a good mix together and might have kept 4-5 clean sheets between them? I'd definitely love to bring someone in if we could, but if not, I hope he gets his chance. Certainly prefer him to Saylor :D

Not a fan of the new kit mate? The wonga logo really brings it down for sure but overall I think it's not bad (was expecting worse!).

Pardew has a habit of taking good players and ruining their lives, I have the feeling Mapou is in that boat.

I don't get why they have such a prominent black chest piece, I'm all for the black stripes being the focus rather than the white, but the large black piece is to much for mine. Wonga looks horrific.

Krul going nowhere

Yeah, the term is 'Pardewed' isn't it? :p I just hope to god that Cabella, De Jong, Janmaat etc don't fall victim!

Yeah, it's a funny one! I think the shirt by itself isn't great but at least with black shorts and socks, it looks better together.

Really wish we had a better sponsor though instead of those legal loan sharks :drunk:

Squad numbers apparently - even HBA got one so maybe hope for him yet...
60637_710864302318608_5479779730882467318_n.png

10543650_710900968981608_7515515532372931539_n.png

What's happened with Lacazette? Still happening?

Hard to say Jatz - apparently a fee was agreed and so it might just be a matter of trying to come to personal terms.

He said overnight he was ready for the new season and ignoring the speculation so he hasn't really indicated one way or the other if he wants to come (he apparently like Remy, wants CL). We're hoping our French connection might help interest him :)

I don't see Campbell as being PL standard, he is to slight and small for how robust and physical the PL is, I think he is destined for a series of loan spells and will likely end up in the lower divisions and maybe even worst at non-league Gateshed.

Lacazette news has slowed down over the last 24 hours however I'm still fairly confident, I really can't see the club going into the season relying on Riviere and Ferreya especially with how aggressive and active we have been. I really feel like we have a midfield that can give us 20 goals, if we can add 2x 15 goal a season forwards then we are well on our way to a 5th-7th finish.

Cabella - 6
Gouff - 6
Sissoko - 3
Dejong - 5

= 20

If we can get 5 in total from Colback/Anita/Tiote

= 25

Same with all of our defenders

= 30

Riviere - 10
Ferreya - 7
Lacazette - 15 ( Positive thinking)

We need to score 60+ because let's be honest we will concede 50-60 with our defense as it stands atm. It's vitally important we lock away Lacazette, if we don't score we are f***d.

robertg22
tige19
scon
Abba Lonie
Golumless
Moo

(hope I haven't missed anyone lol)

Hi guys, with the season not too far away, the mods would like to start up a new thread for previewing each team's season ahead and we'd love to get your thoughts/answers on the questions below.

Instead of one poster doing a post for their club (and the subsequent scrolling through threads to find a specific preview), we are going to try and keep '1 post per club' (so if we get multiple responses for the same club, we will include them together in the same post) - similar to the format used here:
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...iff-city-championship-preview-experts-7557542

link to thread: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/club-season-previews-14-15-season.1072350/

Questions: (feel free to answer as many/as few as you like).
  • How have you rated your team's preseason performances so far?
  • How have you rated your team's transfer business so far?
  • Which of your new players (if any) are you most excited by and why?
  • What fixture is your most highly anticipated this coming season and why?
  • Who do you think will be your most important player this season and central to your chances of success?
  • Who do you see as the biggest surprise packet player at your club (big improvers, hot young talent from the academy)?
  • What are your minimum expectations for the season ahead and how do you rate your chances? (final league position range, cup focuses, silverware chances? etc)
  • How safe do you think your manager's position is and what would it take for him to come under scrutiny/get the sack?
  • Best XI when squad fully available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see Campbell as being PL standard, he is to slight and small for how robust and physical the PL is, I think he is destined for a series of loan spells and will likely end up in the lower divisions and maybe even worst at non-league Gateshed.

Lacazette news has slowed down over the last 24 hours however I'm still fairly confident, I really can't see the club going into the season relying on Riviere and Ferreya especially with how aggressive and active we have been. I really feel like we have a midfield that can give us 20 goals, if we can add 2x 15 goal a season forwards then we are well on our way to a 5th-7th finish.

Cabella - 6
Gouff - 6
Sissoko - 3
Dejong - 5

= 20

If we can get 5 in total from Colback/Anita/Tiote

= 25

Same with all of our defenders

= 30

Riviere - 10
Ferreya - 7
Lacazette - 15 ( Positive thinking)

We need to score 60+ because let's be honest we will concede 50-60 with our defense as it stands atm. It's vitally important we lock away Lacazette, if we don't score we are f***d.

Very true mate - I'm not sure Campbell will make it but fingers crossed. I do agree though that we can't expect Perez and Armstong to bag many either. Don't forget we have Cisse who I'm hoping will thrive on some good silver service when he comes back from injury!

As you say, we'll need to score a lot more than we concede given our concerns at the back - perhaps a return to the entertainers days and winning 3-2, 5-4 etc :D

A Newcastle XI (basically reserves) beat Blyth Spartans 3-2 overnight. Interestingly, no Ben Arfa...(has been linked to Everton as well).

UNITED: Woodman, Olley, Ferguson, Kemen, Williams, Gillhespy, Roberts, Bigirimana, Heardman, Quinn, Smith.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor...rts/blyth-spartans-2-newcastle-united-7587406

Fraser Forster might be joining Southampton and could net us another $2m.

Doesn't seem he'll get a game with Krul around... might as well.

Especially seeing Elliot is decent backup.

Doesn't seem he'll get a game with Krul around... might as well.

Especially seeing Elliot is decent backup.

My bad mate, Forster was sold to Celtic, we apparently put a sell on clause on him :cool:

Confirmed! Our 8th and 9th signings - Double signing of Nottingham Forest duo Jamaal Lascelles and Karl Darlow.

10593086_766748010014794_8229393914917476202_n.jpg

My bad mate, Forster was sold to Celtic, we apparently put a sell on clause on him :cool:

Confirmed! Our 8th and 9th signings - Double signing of Nottingham Forest duo Jamaal Lascelles and Karl Darlow.

10593086_766748010014794_8229393914917476202_n.jpg

Surprised they have just confirmed it now, seeing there former boss was quite pissed off about both of them being sold.

Good win and from all reports we were quite poor, organised defensively which is great news but going forward we were very average. Sissoko apart from his brace was way off, but as talented as the guy is he just needs a few seconds to turn a game, hopefully a big year for the big man.

Lacazette has knocked us back. Now apparently we are into Wilfred Zaha, I've got to say it would be great to see an English recruit in the squad and one with the talent of Zaha can only be positive. I'm not sure why he is such an outcast at ManYoo, the guy was the only real danger going forward against us when we beat them at Old Trafford. I like the kid, would be an instant hit among geordies and would suit well with Cabella.

Surprised they have just confirmed it now, seeing there former boss was quite pissed off about both of them being sold.

Yep! Apparently should net us another $2m on top of the $2m we got for him when we sold him to Celtic.

1-0 win over Real Sociedad. 88th min goal to Sissoko. Just glad we didn't concede any goals TBH, to get away with the win is good!

Agreed mate! Good note to finish our preseason friendlies on at least.

Here's the goal guys:

Good win and from all reports we were quite poor, organised defensively which is great news but going forward we were very average. Sissoko apart from his brace was way off, but as talented as the guy is he just needs a few seconds to turn a game, hopefully a big year for the big man.

Lacazette has knocked us back. Now apparently we are into Wilfred Zaha, I've got to say it would be great to see an English recruit in the squad and one with the talent of Zaha can only be positive. I'm not sure why he is such an outcast at ManYoo, the guy was the only real danger going forward against us when we beat them at Old Trafford. I like the kid, would be an instant hit among geordies and would suit well with Cabella.

That's a shame about Lacazette, I wonder if we will go back for Remy or try elsewhere? I'd be pretty happy with Zaha too though I'm not convinced he'd be the 'big name' striker we need given he hasn't done a whole lot at PL level. Playing as a winger or wide forward though, he could be quite handy. Apparently Obertan did well again?

I get the feeling we need to move on Gutierrez before another winger comes in - we were getting linked to Joel Campbell last week but I'd rather we play our own kids than someone elses (at least in an ideal world anyway).

10601909_259427800924547_767559964_n.jpg

Players wore this kit as well - I believe this is our third kit. I prefer this one to our grey away kit to be honest :cool:

Also no Tiote and De Jong - hopefully both are fit for City. Though I reckon a CM pairing of Sissoko and Colback would be great.

I reckon Pards will play Colback and Anita CM with Sissoko and Gouff wide and Cabella at CAM (if De Jong and Tiote don't make the final squad).

Yep! Apparently should net us another $2m on top of the $2m we got for him when we sold him to Celtic.

Agreed mate! Good note to finish our preseason friendlies on at least.

Here's the goal guys:

That's a shame about Lacazette, I wonder if we will go back for Remy or try elsewhere? I'd be pretty happy with Zaha too though I'm not convinced he'd be the 'big name' striker we need given he hasn't done a whole lot at PL level. Playing as a winger or wide forward though, he could be quite handy. Apparently Obertan did well again?

I get the feeling we need to move on Gutierrez before another winger comes in - we were getting linked to Joel Campbell last week but I'd rather we play our own kids than someone elses (at least in an ideal world anyway).

Zaha would be a replacement as such for Ben Arfa, I've got the feeling we are resigned to the fact we won't be bringing in another striker and in lieu of that will focus on more attacking midfielders who seem readily available ( Zaha ). We may have to wait until January for our striker.

The white kit is brilliant. Better than the home kit IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back