The Toon Army Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Zaha would be a replacement as such for Ben Arfa, I've got the feeling we are resigned to the fact we won't be bringing in another striker and in lieu of that will focus on more attacking midfielders who seem readily available ( Zaha ). We may have to wait until January for our striker.

The white kit is brilliant. Better than the home kit IMO.

Yeah, you could be right mate - if I'm honest, I would rather a CB over a ST (if we could only sign 1 more this window). I get the feeling we won't be getting a CB unless we sell one first though (similar to the winger stocks).

Looks like Alexandre Lacazette signed a new deal with Lyon and has come out and said he wants to stay (at least another season). Would say that all but rules him out sadly. Back to the drawing board.

Tiote and De Jong both in doubt for the City opener which is a shame as well.

Saw the Tiote rumours - personally can't see it being true, I don't think there was any actual quotes? From memory, he's never said he has wanted to leave (even when he was being linked to other clubs in the past).

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see Nike take over, I purchased the Greek World Cup soccer jersey and man it's amazing to wear. The design is simple and classy and the fit and feel is brilliant, you compare that to how our jerseys felt with Adidas and last seasons Puma ones and it's embarrassingly poor. How good would a basic dominate black striped NUFC jersey with a collar look?

On Tiote... I'm not against the club selling, we are clearly a sell to buy business and with the reported 8 mill it would leave us some extra wage room and cash in the bank to purchase up front or CB. The DM position is one area we are particularly strong in, Colback could very well be the best DM in England come the end of the season, he has been that impressive and the fact he is not a foreigner is a positive. I'm happy to sell Cheik, so long as we re-invest the money in the right manner, remember we have Anita who came on in leaps and bounds who can play Tiotes role, he is actually a better distributor but given he is so small physically he is far inferior.

Agree on the Nike kits mate - just look at Juve's kits for this season. That's what we need.

Nike-Juventus-14-15-Heimtrikot-1.jpg

Black-Juventus-Kit-2013.jpg

You're not wrong with Tiote and our options at DM - we would still have Colback and Anita plus Sissoko and Abeid who can play central if needed.

Interestingly, Grenier has told Lyon this morning he wants out - he's not a like for like replacement but would be another guy who can be an option in the middle of the park (though I believe he's more of a CAM).

On the striker front, apparently there is rumours we've put a $8m bid in for Abel Hernandez from Palermo. I remember being linked to him earlier in the year mainly because he seems to see Newcastle as a dream club to join:

Abel Hernandez;

“I dream of Newcastle, Real or Atletico in the future.

“I decided to say (in the summer) because I owed it to Maurizio Zamparini (Palermo’s owner) and the supporters.”

Don't know much about him but he's 24, apparently pretty quick and has scored 14 goals in Serie B last season to help Palermo get promoted. Anyone who views us next to the likes of Real Madrid as a 'dream move' would get me interested. Music to my ears! :D

Agree on the Nike kits mate - just look at Juve's kits for this season. That's what we need.

Nike-Juventus-14-15-Heimtrikot-1.jpg

Black-Juventus-Kit-2013.jpg

You're not wrong with Tiote and our options at DM - we would still have Colback and Anita plus Sissoko and Abeid who can play central if needed.

Interestingly, Grenier has told Lyon this morning he wants out - he's not a like for like replacement but would be another guy who can be an option in the middle of the park (though I believe he's more of a CAM).

On the striker front, apparently there is rumours we've put a $8m bid in for Abel Hernandez from Palermo. I remember being linked to him earlier in the year mainly because he seems to see Newcastle as a dream club to join:

Abel Hernandez;

“I dream of Newcastle, Real or Atletico in the future.

“I decided to say (in the summer) because I owed it to Maurizio Zamparini (Palermo’s owner) and the supporters.”

Don't know much about him but he's 24, apparently pretty quick and has scored 14 goals in Serie B last season to help Palermo get promoted. Anyone who views us next to the likes of Real Madrid as a 'dream move' would get me interested. Music to my ears! :D

How good is the Juve shirt man! The away strip is awesome to, NUFC need to take note. I am that disgusted with this season performance I'm not even going to order now.

Hernandez I'll pass on thanks, and I don't think the club has pursued it anyhow. A guy who scores one in two at Serie B level ( which is a clear level below the championship) does not warrant a 14mill price tag, some of these figures are crazy.

In other news....

http://thespectatorsview.com/2014/08/14/newcastle-agree-4-2m-for-man-city-player/?

The guy who released the tweet I've been following for a while and he is generally bang on with his info. Richards would be a solid signing, would certainly jump in ahead of the fumbly Williamson and I think would probably be ahead of an ageing Colo who has looked like he has fossiled up a decade over the pre season.

How good is the Juve shirt man! The away strip is awesome to, NUFC need to take note. I am that disgusted with this season performance I'm not even going to order now.

Hernandez I'll pass on thanks, and I don't think the club has pursued it anyhow. A guy who scores one in two at Serie B level ( which is a clear level below the championship) does not warrant a 14mill price tag, some of these figures are crazy.

In other news....

http://thespectatorsview.com/2014/08/14/newcastle-agree-4-2m-for-man-city-player/?

The guy who released the tweet I've been following for a while and he is generally bang on with his info. Richards would be a solid signing, would certainly jump in ahead of the fumbly Williamson and I think would probably be ahead of an ageing Colo who has looked like he has fossiled up a decade over the pre season.

Yeah, saw the Richards rumours - they are picking up quite a bit on various social media. Would definitely have him at that price. He's a bit injury prone and maybe a bit short for a CB (180cm?) but would the ageing Colo and Willo, would give us another solid option in the back plus knows the ins and outs of the league as well.

I can't see his wage demands being massive either...

Yeah, saw the Richards rumours - they are picking up quite a bit on various social media. Would definitely have him at that price. He's a bit injury prone and maybe a bit short for a CB (180cm?) but would the ageing Colo and Willo, would give us another solid option in the back plus knows the ins and outs of the league as well.

I can't see his wage demands being massive either...

Colo ain't big and some of the best cb's ever have been 180cm... The guy is a beast, I'd love him

Colo ain't big and some of the best cb's ever have been 180cm... The guy is a beast, I'd love him

Yeah I saw him against Arsenal (briefly) in the charity shield, he looks way bigger than he used to. Wouldn't mind him at the right price, is a bit fragile though.

Just had a look at our CB's heights out of curiosity:

Colocinni - 184cm
Williamson - 194cm
Yanga - 183cm
Good - 187cm
Taylor - 186cm
Dummett (can play there as a makeshift cb) - 183cm

Based on that, Richards probably would be fine (he's quite good in the air and at jumping I think?) Next to maybe Williamson (who's height is handy against the taller players at set pieces), he could be a good option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tiote and De Jong almost certain to miss tomorrow's game against City which sucks. Guessing Anita and Colback in the middle with Cabella in the number 10 role with Sissoko and Gouffran either side of him.

Tiote and De Jong almost certain to miss tomorrow's game against City which sucks. Guessing Anita and Colback in the middle with Cabella in the number 10 role with Sissoko and Gouffran either side of him.

Seems pretty likely. Aarons off the bench?

Yeah hopefully! Suspect Obertan might make it too given his preseason form. With Cisse and Santon also unavailable, that's arguably 4 of our best 11 missing from the match day squad so will be a bit of a test to see how our depth holds up!

I'm probably to harsh here but Obertan should never pull on the shirt ever again, he is not premiership standard! He is the prototype soft French player, smooth mover and technical but hates physicality and doesn't goes missing for majority of big games. He is the perfect ligue 1 footballer. Aarons is exciting! Really shattered the game isn't tonight.

I'm probably to harsh here but Obertan should never pull on the shirt ever again, he is not premiership standard! He is the prototype soft French player, smooth mover and technical but hates physicality and doesn't goes missing for majority of big games. He is the perfect ligue 1 footballer. Aarons is exciting! Really shattered the game isn't tonight.

Yeah I wish it was tonight, not looking forward to a tired Monday morning, but definitely looking forward to the game.

On the cb position, Micah being 180cm is fine. Guys his size need strength and athleticism and he has both, if he stays fit he is top class. Remember guys like Ramos ( 182cm), Silva (183cm), Puyol (178cm), Cannavaro (176cm), Marquinhos (183cm) are all around the 5.11/6ft size and are brilliant in that central defensive post.

You seem to be a fan of Williamson tiger? I'm more reserved about him, he finds himself out of position so much, when he pairs with Taylor it's embarrassingly comical. I'm still holding hope Mapou, he is young enough but time is running out, Curtis Good has huge wraps on him, can't wait to see him fit.

Shattered and Siem, wanted to see him in full 90 mins for the first time. I'm actually looking forward to seeing Rivière, I think we will know within 2-3 weeks if he can cut the mustard in Preniership.

Yeah I wish it was tonight, not looking forward to a tired Monday morning, but definitely looking forward to the game.

My thoughts exactly lol. Ah well, opening game - can't miss that!

Agreed, would rather HBA get a look in before him but seems Pards has frozen Ben Arfa out. Really hope we see Aarons (and Armstrong) getting some regular sub appearances this season. Probably our 2 best young academy prospects at the moment.

On the cb position, Micah being 180cm is fine. Guys his size need strength and athleticism and he has both, if he stays fit he is top class. Remember guys like Ramos ( 182cm), Silva (183cm), Puyol (178cm), Cannavaro (176cm), Marquinhos (183cm) are all around the 5.11/6ft size and are brilliant in that central defensive post.

You seem to be a fan of Williamson tiger? I'm more reserved about him, he finds himself out of position so much, when he pairs with Taylor it's embarrassingly comical. I'm still holding hope Mapou, he is young enough but time is running out, Curtis Good has huge wraps on him, can't wait to see him fit.

Shattered and Siem, wanted to see him in full 90 mins for the first time. I'm actually looking forward to seeing Rivière, I think we will know within 2-3 weeks if he can cut the mustard in Preniership.

Yeah, the more I think about it, Richards would be a handy addition for us. Seems more outlets are saying a move might be imminent (saw somewhere that we still might go in for Remy again for the striker we need).

I think Williamson had a good season last season. He's definitely a limited player but I do like his simplicity, no nonsense style. In an ideal world, I'd love to see us with Yanga and Richards as our CBs (2 strong, fast, powerful players) but Yanga seems to need a settled CB next to him to keep him focused, in position and composed. I definitely would have Steven Taylor as our last choice CB (would have Good ahead of him, he's just a liability IMO).

Siem would have been handy - scored twice against City in the CL a few years back I think and given our recent record against them, any goals would be a big help! :D

I'm pretty confident in Riviere at least getting a few goals - just not sure if he will be our 15+ goals a season striker we need (his highest tally in the ligue 1 in France is just 10 goals). If we don't get another in, we'd be banking on Cisse to refind his form when he first joined (which might happen with Siem and Cabella feeding him) or hoping for no injuries/extended absences from the team.

Lukaku hasn't scored but he's brilliant! A stronger and more athletic Mark Viduka, he'd be perfect for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back