Rumour The Trade Rumour File

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
McCartney, J.Martin, S.Coniglio, J.O'Meara, etc... Hogan? when have we chased him?
I'm listing the above as examples in comparison to players like Caddy, Boyd, Jakcsh, O'Rourke that have all gone 'home' in recent off-seasons.

i am pretty sure the club doesn't have the power to make players homesick

McCartney, J.Martin, S.Coniglio, J.O'Meara, etc... Hogan? when have we chased him?
I'm listing the above as examples in comparison to players like Caddy, Boyd, Jakcsh, O'Rourke that have all gone 'home' in recent off-seasons.

All within contract this year, see Tayl0r and her awesome thread. Our midfield is not doing too badly at the moment, as we have a few developing and a competition for spots, so I can understand why we haven't gone all out after them as aggressively. Chasing KPPs obviously more a priority.

All within contract this year, see Tayl0r and her awesome thread. Our midfield is not doing too badly at the moment, as we have a few developing and a competition for spots, so I can understand why we haven't gone all out after them as aggressively. Chasing KPPs obviously more a priority.
So was Boyd, Jaksch and O'Rourke if i'm not mistaken

So you know that Freo havent been in their ears that we would welcome them home when the time is right for them to make the move

I don't think talk usually comes out until the club is reasonably comfortable that the deal is done. Didn't hear about Griffen / Boyd until it was almost a formality for example.

You have got to put it in perspective - here in Perth we know that the world is a big place and moving anywhere around the country or even around the world is seen as quite exciting. In contrast, speak to anyone from Victoria/Melbourne and you will find they are well indoctrinated from a young age that there is no life outside of Victoria/Melbourne - perhaps Sydney at a stretch.
When you visit Melbourne, as soon as you mention to someone you're from Perth, they always follow up with something like "Don't you just looove Melbourne?"

The reality is we should be far more open to trading with West Coast, the same way Vic clubs are currently loading North, Hawks and Essendon with ageing Stars. If Hawks don't land Lake we win the premiership. Imagine if Cox and Glass played 2013-2014 with us instead of the Eagles. Due to our rivalry we are shooting ourselves in the foot.

Victorian Clubs do however..

don't blame the club if WA players are made of harder stuff than their victorian counterparts

It's more that NONE of them declare for a move back home. Why is all I'm asking..

you are in melb ... why don't you go and stalk some players and ask them why they dont want to go home

malpaso - please see the bolded.

maybe it's just me, but i don't think it's in fremantle's best interest to broadcast that they are actively chasing WA boys regrdless of their contract status just because fans are frustrated about our perceived inability to land KPPs or make these kids want to "go home." it's just bad on a lot of levels.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

malpaso - please see the bolded.

maybe it's just me, but i don't think it's in fremantle's best interest to broadcast that they are actively chasing WA boys regrdless of their contract status just because fans are frustrated about our perceived inability to land KPPs or make these kids want to "go home." it's just bad on a lot of levels.
Yeah I get it we have midfielders, the players I mentioned were examples not a position need list.

Maybe the club thinks that our young list players have more to offer than a second rater who has been shoved out the door
Trading in one of these spuds just for the sake of saying we've been active in the trade period is lunacy
Exactly, we tried for Frawley, didnt get it done. Moved on.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-02/demons-hold-onto-hogan
MELBOURNE has beaten off interest from cashed-up Fremantle to re-sign star young forward Jesse Hogan.

Hogan, who was contracted to the Demons until the end of next year, has signed a two-year extension, keeping him at the club until at least the end of the 2017 season.

The Dockers were prepared to tempt Hogan with a sizeable offer to lure the young star back home to Perth, AFL.com.au understands.

McCarthy
was drafted last year and signed an extension straight away. The rest are mids that would be nice to have but wouldn't offer huge improvement in the short term, but would cost the farm to get over.

i am pretty sure the club doesn't have the power to make players homesick

Hawks are pretty good at it. Longer and O'Rourke in successive years. Need to get some tips form them.

Reckon McCarthy is the best fit for that approach. If Bond and co aren't in his ear on a frequent basis, I'd be amazed. Being at GWS is a less attractive scenario than at GC, with all the rest of the WA talent that those pr!cks have swiped over the years. McCarthy should be out of contract at the end of next year... so could work out nicely.

EDIT: Ah, sh!t. Way to burst the bubble Bender571

Our midfield can be improved, can't it?

There isn't much we can do this trade period. Obviously there wasn't a player we've identified we really need without giving up too much (last few years we've pulled the trigger early). I would have liked to get some more draft picks though, Clancee is the only player i would see that we'd realistically give up....

...perhaps we have our eye on the rookie draft? Get another Barlow/Spurr :thumbsu:

i wonder if the drafting thread is going to be this bad

Always is. First round we end up grabbing a player that people have heard of, but not one that most of us wanted. Second and later rounds we grab "who the f*ck are those guys", while there are players left on the table that we BF supporters know and hope we can grab... and we're all wondering what Lloyd and Bondy are doing.

Cue implosion by one or more, usually newer, posters... and the occasional one that should know better. (I know from experience, as I was one of the imploders during the 2011 draft, though I'm pretty comfortable in being peeved the year before that we picked up Pitt instead of Parker with our first rounder in 2010).

Then as time moves on (unless the first round curse strikes) we realise that they the recruiters had some method to the madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back