Roast The Troy Chaplin Issue

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought it would be worth it's own thread.

What has happened to him? Was really good last year, general of the backline, promoted to the leadership group in the offseason, all that points to a big season.

This year he has been average at best, Astbury has gone past him and now takes the big monster forwards.

I hoped with Rance back in today he'd show some improvement but again he was poor.

Was once a pretty reliable kick, now I wouldn't back him to hit a target 20m away more than 50% of the time.

Is it confidence? Is he carrying an injury? What has gone wrong?

Could be time to send him back to the VFL (well it was 2 weeks ago)

Terrible kicking, terrible decision making.

How long is he contracted for?

We need a replacement. Griffiths would be heaps better.

Could be time to send him back to the VFL (well it was 2 weeks ago)

Terrible kicking, terrible decision making.

How long is he contracted for?

We need a replacement. Griffiths would be heaps better, or give Grimes one more chance.

That dodgy knee is blowing up again. Is always heavily iced and strapped up after games. I think it is effecting his kicking and his lack of run. Wont be able to play out the year if he is struggling with it already. Port did say he would have on going issues with it when he came to us.

There were a few like that though. Why would JR8 lead so deep into the pocket when Azza was kicking to him in the last?

I don't know for sure but Jack could've initially been leading at a 45-60 angle before the kick but by the time the camera gets there he's followed the bad kick and it looks like he was leading sharper than he was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have banged on about this before but he is skill set was outside of the rules we setup at the start of the Dimma build of must being able to hit targets by foot.

We stepped away from that with Chaplin, Petterd, Thomas - especially when we already had Rance, Grigg, Jackson, Edwards with inconsistent foot skills

Hampson is acceptable as ruck but his hands are god damn awful

I'd love to see Batchelor or McIntosh get a go at it - they will make mistakes but I will accept that from players with possible upside. We've seen everything Chaplain can offer, we knew he had a bung knee, if it affects his performances this much then take time out and get it right

What a shocking decision to make him a leader after being at the club for five minutes. Terrible. Port rid themselves of chaplain and Thomas and gain white who's smashing it. Sheesh.
Agreed.

Especially when you consider the s**t it caused with jack and the media. It was really an unnecessary appointment. he would have been an on/off field leader regardless of being in the group and jack would still have felt appreciated and not have had to deal with the beat up in the media.

hopefully chaplain copes a week, his replacement (and the whole defensive group) prove we have moved past him. While im not one to say 'play the kids', it would be a disaster if players like astbury or dea (when fit) et al missed for chaplin.

What a shocking decision to make him a leader after being at the club for five minutes. Terrible. Port rid themselves of chaplain and Thomas and gain white who's smashing it. Sheesh.
You realise he was voted in by the players?

Chaplains lack of run and poor skills was the difference between 4 pts and zip
Game was lost at selection
A Edwards. Chaplin and Newman were liabilities
Houlis skills drop from about 50 pc to zero in slippery conditions
As I said in the vfl game thread there were five kids out there that would of made a huge difference to today's outcome but DH went with his loyal unreliable turnover kings and we paid for it
We need to let go and have belief in our kids the first six goals the cats were poor unnecessary under little pressure turnovers
It took 40 min for DH to tell the players to take the game on but with around 17 men its hard to fill the void. DH has to wake up we can't continue to gift games to oppositions
I was impressed with today and believe with five Changes this list can play finals but Newman and Chaplin must be first to go of these
The others may pull their heads in if DH can start making the hard calls

He is horrendous. We don't even need him with Astbury now clearly our no. 2 tall defender.

Next game should be in Lennon, out Chaplin, but I know that won't happen.
I'd say grimes. Can't play Lennon 3rd tall. Would destroy him Batch style. Darrou is probably the most in form but we can't play him.

I'd say grimes. Can't play Lennon 3rd tall. Would destroy him Batch style. Darrou is probably the most in form but we can't play him.

Chaplin played on Bartel today when forward from what I saw. Melbourne lack even more tall forwards.

I don't think we need a 3rd tall defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back