The Wellingham Brief

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope we get something out of him next year. But in the same sense I'm happy that Simmo didn't play him just because we traded pick 18 for him. Make or bust next year!

Wellingham reminds me very much of Masten in playing style minus the gut running. Both are very handy players off the HFF and kicking inside 50.

When he started playing for us he seemed quite lean compared to when he was at Collingwood. Did anyone else think that? At the pies he seemed quite solid and that complimented his physical style of game, but since being here he seems to have lost that physicality. I have high hopes for him, and hope that Simmo's promise to bulk up over the off season rubs off on Sharrod...

When he started playing for us he seemed quite lean compared to when he was at Collingwood. Did anyone else think that? At the pies he seemed quite solid and that complimented his physical style of game, but since being here he seems to have lost that physicality. I have high hopes for him, and hope that Simmo's promise to bulk up over the off season rubs off on Sharrod...

When he was training in his first pre-season i thought he looked massive but very slim when he returned. I think it may have been to put less weight onto his ankles after his injury to them? Him along with Shep, Gaff & Masten would be the ones i would get stronger and slightly bigger for next year.

No idea what happened this year.

Last year he was quite good when fit (brilliant at times) and is a good supplementary player in our midfield. He needs to actually spend more time in at the ball drop than he did this year, in my view.

Definitely in our best side if fit.

Wellingham reminds me very much of Masten in playing style minus the gut running. Both are very handy players off the HFF and kicking inside 50.

A slightly worse masten is not a ringing endorsement ;) I do take your point re Wellingham's potential in that role though, especially as he's not a bad mark.

To be a success he's got to do the running and apply the pressure that role requires consistently.

Well he came back to WA thinking he was walking into an actual contending club. Given the fact we made a semi final in 2012 and all and we were on the up.

But then Woosha, and the club dished up that steaming pile of s**t in 2013, and Sharrods attitude appears to have fallen off a cliff. Doesn't want to play unless it's in a team which is winning and he's made to look good.

On talent alone he'd easily be a lock in our 22 next year. The club better work on getting his attitude right or shame on them for chucking pick 18 in the trash.

I liked the trade when it happened, after 2012 I thought he would be the extra mid we needed to push for a flag. He looked good for us when he was playing in 2013 but has had an average season this year. Need a big preseason and 2015 or will be staring down the barrel

He looked so flat and disinterested at East Perth. There is something not right. Either its his confidence or something more sinister. Who knows?
I really do hope he puts in the hard work in the pre-season and comes out breathing fire.
Probably not responding well to being in the coach's dog house, either that or he was asked to work on something specific. Him and Bennell were the two that were singled out at different stages of the season.

Wellingham has sublime skills...

I don't know where such a misconception started wrt Wellingham, but he kicks a few burners out of the box, but it's hardly standard as "sublime" would suggest. His skills can be truly awful at times, too. I class his skills as average and nothing more. He's capable of something occasionally great, some very bad, but mostly average.

I know you said "skills", but kicking is the predominant skill of AFL footballers. Even his other skills are just average in comparison to his peers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps Wellingham needs to be given a particular role, so as to keep his focus and stop him from drifting in and out of games. Given that McGinnity is doing the job as a defensive HFF, perhaps Wellinhgam should be given a go at such a role in McGinnity's stead. One of the advantages in using Wellingham in this role is the almost certainly that he would provide more offensive output than McGinnity whilst maintaining his defensive role.

But then Woosha, and the club dished up that steaming pile of s**t in 2013, and Sharrods attitude appears to have fallen off a cliff. Doesn't want to play unless it's in a team which is winning and he's made to look good.

In fairness he played some good football in 2013.

He sure did, much better then he played this year.

But i was implying that maybe Sharrod got a bit of a reality check when we started losing. He's been at a fairly successful club with Collingwood.

I actually thought he put in some of his better performances in losses. The Bulldogs loss at etihad comes to mind, he was excellent that day.

You might be onto something in the bigger picture. Couldn't comment. I just hope he comes back.

I actually thought he put in some of his better performances in losses. The Bulldogs loss at etihad comes to mind, he was excellent that day.

You might be onto something in the bigger picture. Couldn't comment. I just hope he comes back.

Yeah that bulldogs game was probably his best performance for the club yet.

And that loss.. shone a bit of a light on just how bad we were.

Yeah that bulldogs game was probably his best performance for the club yet.

And that loss.. shone a bit of a light on just how bad we were.

Yeah I remember that being a point of realisation for me. I remember thinking, we lost to the Dogs and didn't even seem to play that badly. So we've descended into the bracket of utter crap without me realising.

PS: Thread title is good.

If he's back in form in can see him coming onto a wing with bursts on the HFF (where he played for most of the collingwood grand finals)

as we saw at the tail end of this season, simmo has thrown Gaff into the middle a fair bit which should allow the above to happen

Anyway, I think he has a future for us. Has received one mighty kick in the arse this season. Hopefully he has a huge pre-season and fulfills his potential.

We know he can play. Time to grow up.

I think Wellingham is extremely fortunate to be in a side that isn't going anywhere soon and that has such a soft midfield. The attitude thing in our 2's really worries me and I don't think Simmo will pick him until he gets that chip off his shoulder. As it stands, he's currently a depth player who can't even knock McGinnity out of our starting 22. Unfortunately he has no trade value outside of WA thanks to his reputation and Freo already have their own basket case in Sylvia, so who knows what we'll do with him once his contract is up. I'd say he's playing for his career next season, but wasn't he more or less doing the same thing this season, after having those two unfortunate injuries. I swear the kid does my head in sometimes...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back