Opinion The won't/will make it thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Poor Blake 99 games in that period of dominance and a premiership medal,missed it by that much chief as Max would say.
Yeah 100 is a tough call on 'made it' :)

GHS has divided opinion here. I really think he'll make it to 100 for us. See him as a classy player, and potential leader.
Time will tell I suppose

I don't doubt his talent or determination but I do lack his complete lack of run speed.
Yep guys like Ling made careers for themselves but Ling would beat GHS in a foot race like Motlop would beat me with me moon walking.
I see GHS VERY similar to Lingy in fact, a tight inside run with player that can hurt them the other way. We have T Hunt as an outside tagger and I feel we have our inside tagger aswell.

Good points on GHS mate :thumbsu:
Who knows how things are going to pan out, perhaps I am in hope that he'll succeed because I saw him as one of 'my boys' when he was drafted. Leg speed could be his downfall

Good points on GHS mate :thumbsu:
Who knows how things are going to pan out, perhaps I am in hope that he'll succeed because I saw him as one of 'my boys' when he was drafted. Leg speed could be his downfall

Great inside player loves it tough, i fear he may get caught out on the spread when the opposition creates a turnover . His direct player will run hard off him how he handles this i think will go a long
way to how his career develops.

GHS has divided opinion here. I really think he'll make it to 100 for us. See him as a classy player, and potential leader.
Time will tell I suppose
I love him. If he becomes the player I think he can he'll play 200.

Are they going to give him the chances? I'm not so sure, they keep picking speed.

With the media full of players who killing it in the off season , its a bit cloudy atm , but the first month or two will most likely clarify it. Guys like Brown and Stringer simply can not sit back and wait for an injury , they must break in early to have a chance to be here in 2015.

Both of those mentioned are definately facing a make or break year. Cowen unfortunately is the same (although I'm very confident he can get his body right and show off the immense talent he has).

Both of those mentioned are definately facing a make or break year. Cowen unfortunately is the same (although I'm very confident he can get his body right and show off the immense talent he has).

Yes but I can probably see a spot for Cowan , if he is good enough (I think he is ) and if he can stay fit ( who knows) , Brown and String on the other hand.....

Where does Brown fit , backline , forwardline....? Even Stringer not many spots for dumb players with so many good options available.

Re Brown if he was really as good as we had hoped he would be the logic replacement with Pods gone.
Hawkins and a resting ruck , Kersten and Brown. Thats broad range of players. But as a backman? Does anyone see him being strong enough to play tall , quick enough to play small?

Yes but I can probably see a spot for Cowan , if he is good enough (I think he is ) and if he can stay fit ( who knows) , Brown and String on the other hand.....

Where does Brown fit , backline , forwardline....? Even Stringer not many spots for dumb players with so many good options available.

Re Brown if he was really as good as we had hoped he would be the logic replacement with Pods gone.
Hawkins and a resting ruck , Kersten and Brown. Thats broad range of players. But as a backman? Does anyone see him being strong enough to play tall , quick enough to play small?

No.
His natural position is forward absolutely no doubt but I have concerns over his lack of size/strength vs AFL quality backman.
In the VFL he would dominate because he would be up against smaller and weaker defenders (likewise Walker) but take that next step to AFL.....

Brown - No
Schroder - No
Hartman - No
Cowan - No
Bews - No
Smedts - yes
GHS - no
Murdoch - Yes
Kolod - no
Stringer - No
Lang - yes
Hunt - Yes
Simpson - yes
Walker - yes
Burbury - no
Kersten - Yes
Thurlow - Yes
Hamling - Yes

I have barely seen half these guys in the VFL, so this can be put down to nothing but the vibe

Brown - No
Schroder - No
Hartman - No
Cowan - No
Bews - No
Smedts - yes
GHS - no
Murdoch - Yes
Kolod - no
Stringer - No
Lang - yes
Hunt - Yes
Simpson - yes
Walker - yes
Burbury - no
Kersten - Yes
Thurlow - Yes
Hamling - Yes

I have barely seen half these guys in the VFL, so this can be put down to nothing but the vibe

Agree with all except for Walker - one of the poorest kicks we have ever had up there with Playfair/Kingslg/Mooney etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of the say 4 young midfielders Stringer Cowan GHS and Schroeder

Stringer is an honest battler - a bit like Tim Callan - but your not going to win premierships or big finals with those types - so he is a NO

GHS - the issue has always been a lack of pace - if i was him id go back to cricket - he was captain of Australian under 16 in that sport - where as in AFL hes a plodder - so he is a NO

Cowan - he has been absolutely decimated by injuries - that 60 metre goal off one step against Brisbane was impressive - if hes cruelled by injuries again this year - they will probably let him go - so hes a MAYBE

Schroeder - hes a definite YES - beautiful kick - with Corey, Chapman gone - Kelly slowing down - Schroeder should get a hell of alot more opportunities - i think if he makes it - he could become a really good player - so he is a YES

Brown - No is a massive spud
Schroder - Yes
Hartman - Have not idea on this guy.
Cowan - Yes if he can keep himself injury free
Bews - Yes like to see more of him in the seniors done well in the VFL from the matches I watched.
Smedts - Yes but needs to grow a brain first.
GHS - Yes
Murdoch - Yes very good kick of the ball and has kicked some important goals already.
Kolod - No idea on this guy
Stringer - No
Lang - No idea on this guy
Bates - No
Hunt - Yes very much part of our future
Simpson - Yes with form he showed last season before being injured
Walker - No good trade bate through
Burbury - Yes like the boy shown some promise
Kersten - Yes will be our most important player in a few years
Thurlow - Yes
Hamling - No idea on this guy

Future is looking good I say I'm hoping.

Don’t get the lack of love for Josh Cowan. Has a huge engine, pace, tough at the contest and finds the ball. In my book a top 22 prospect if he can get a reasonable injury free run.
That's a fair call AM,I'm hoping to see a bit more of this kid as I'm sure the Cats are,fingers crossed he's over his injuries.

Don’t get the lack of love for Josh Cowan. Has a huge engine, pace, tough at the contest and finds the ball. In my book a top 22 prospect if he can get a reasonable injury free run.
Agreed but I think 3 games in 2 -3 years puts people off and not everyone can remember that far back.

Fortunately.. I can and I completely agree. I reckon he will be a major contributor if he stays healthy and now he's past that Achilles there is. No reason he should not. A definite candidate to have everyone else stating Wells has done it again.

Go Catters

Your last bit is the answer. We know he can play but can his body hold up?

He has to get in the senior team early and remain uninjured. Given his history i cant bet on that.

Your last bit is the answer. We know he can play but can his body hold up?

He has to get in the senior team early and remain uninjured. Given his history i cant bet on that.
Can't argue that,unfortunately for us we have a list full of them going into 2014,next year is huge for the Cat and how our players who have had problems with on going injuries stand up will determine the speed of the rebuild.

But as a backman? Does anyone see him being strong enough to play tall , quick enough to play small?

I dont know where he fits.
But I'll put my arse on the line and say he reads the play better than 75% of the list.

Who's best?
Enright, Bartel, Selwood,

And Brown is in the next five. Trust me.
But I dont know if that will get him a gig. I still think that because he reads it so well he tries to mark too often.
Harley did that but he was way stronger.

We'll find out in 6 months.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back