There should be 3 Saturday finals

Remove this Banner Ad

May 2, 2011
MacDonald Park
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, CDFC, MUFC, Redbacks
Call me a sore loser, but given Hawthorn's home final is a certainty to be played on Friday night, surely it's possible to have 3 finals on the Saturday in week 1? The first game could start at 1:40pm, the second at 4:50pm, & the third at 8:10pm (all times EST). This would definitely minimise 6 day breaks between week 1 & 2 of the finals, thus having maximum recovery.

It would be a great idea to do a triple header on Saturday, I think the general consensus is that people would prefer every game to be on a Saturday or Friday night. However it just won't happen, the AFL has proved to be a very stubborn league when in comes to changes.

Call me a sore loser, but given Hawthorn's home final is a certainty to be played on Friday night, surely it's possible to have 3 finals on the Saturday in week 1? The first game could start at 1:40pm, the second at 4:50pm, & the third at 8:10pm (all times EST). This would definitely minimise 6 day breaks between week 1 & 2 of the finals, thus having maximum recovery.

i want to know why hawks geelong is friday night. normally its 1 v 4 isnt it? (have done no research on this, relying on dodgy memory)

i want to know why hawks geelong is friday night. normally its 1 v 4 isnt it? (have done no research on this, relying on dodgy memory)
Friday night games in recent years:

2013 Haw v Syd (1v4)
2012 Haw v Coll (1v4)
2011 Geel v Haw (2v3)
2010 Geel v StK (2v3)
2009 Adel v Ess (5v8)
2008 Haw v WB (2v3)
2007 Port v WCE (2v3)

The 2v3 QF gives a fairer finals system anyway, that way there isn't a two-day difference going into the next round and the minor premier gets the Friday prelim if they win their QF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not for the Qualifying final, first week of the finals is generally based around ground availability and avoiding too many 6 day breaks.

They'll normally give the Friday Night Preliminary final to the Minor Premier however, so they have an extra day break going into the Grand Final (depending on ground availability of course).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back