Things that sh*t me the seventeenth

Remove this Banner Ad

When I was a teen/young adult and I turned a tense neck too quickly (like in sport or in the act of throwing something) I occasionally got these brief ‘explosions’ in the lower back of my head followed by a warm balm wet feeling. Is that a cervical pinched nerve or like a brief whiplash/extension, possibly a thunderclap/icepick headache? Don’t think I ever talked about it or followed up, might’ve just been unco posture/technique, growing pains, etc.

Was always a bitch when it happened, very disconcerting when you don’t know what it means, but was just like a sudden thing that went away quickly. Assuming it was a localised cervical nerve thing jittering away as a tense twist of the neck could set it off. Seldom happens anymore. Nothing major, but in the moment it was awful, like a stalling lurch, remember the first time it happened whilst about 14 walking the dog on the beach and didn’t know wtf it meant
I know exactly what you're talking about as I occasionally get the same thing. Weirdly I can almost tell when it's going to happen, then move my neck and bam! Only lasts a minute or two but the pain is intense.

I've never looked into what causes it or even what the medical explanation is.

When I was a teen/young adult and I turned a tense neck too quickly (like in sport or in the act of throwing something) I occasionally got these brief ‘explosions’ in the lower back of my head followed by a warm balm wet feeling. Is that a cervical pinched nerve or like a brief whiplash/extension, possibly a thunderclap/icepick headache? Don’t think I ever talked about it or followed up, might’ve just been unco posture/technique, growing pains, etc.

Was always a bitch when it happened, very disconcerting when you don’t know what it means, but was just like a sudden thing that went away quickly. Assuming it was a localised cervical nerve thing jittering away as a tense twist of the neck could set it off. Seldom happens anymore. Nothing major, but in the moment it was awful, like a stalling lurch, remember the first time it happened whilst about 14 walking the dog on the beach and didn’t know wtf it meant
Holy crap me too. I thought i was only one to get this as when I explained it to people they looked at me like wtf.

Yeah got covid this morning.

Ruined my whole weekend.

Dawn Service gone
Movies to see Fall Guy gone
Saturday LIV GOLF gone
Movies Sat night gone

Murphy's law says I'll prob be fine Monday for work

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Holy crap me too. I thought i was only one to get this as when I explained it to people they looked at me like wtf.
Yeah never seen it mentioned anywhere now that I think about it. For a few seconds it has you cowering and feeling raw and tender, a bit like getting shot in the back of the head. Maybe we were executed like that in a previous life, a phantom thing.

It wasn't the only thing for me though, when I was about 12-15yo I got these all day stomach cramps, where if it hit you on the way to the school bus you knew it was going to be an excruciating pain-in-the-ass day and you wanted nothing more than to lie down. Got some ultrasounds and X-rays but cause was never really identified. Once I had it so bad that I lied down on the floor in this dank revolting public bathroom.

I know exactly what you're talking about as I occasionally get the same thing. Weirdly I can almost tell when it's going to happen, then move my neck and bam! Only lasts a minute or two but the pain is intense.

I've never looked into what causes it or even what the medical explanation is.
yeah same, when it happens I feel annoyed at myself because it feels preventable, like a careless blowback situation you got yourself into or should have sensed, but yeah mysterious otherwise

my youngest brother had serious epilepsy, he usually had a few moments warning when he realised a seizure was about to go down.

Just having a quick read, the 'Brain Zap' seems the closest description, like an electric shock jolt flinch. Glad to finally have a name for it, that looks like what we're talking about in some sense. MrKK Billy ray - could be a combo of stress/tension, balance/perception, withdrawal/deficiency, etc.

Last edited:
The Covid vax rollout was in 2021 - two shots within a few weeks of each other. What's the story with you getting a third shot three years later then getting pretty sick with Covid?

Assuming this isn't trolling.....

There's a lot of factors that determine how sick someone gets from COVID. Vaccination status is a major predictor but most definitely not the only factor.

Well make it four then, I considered the first two to be just instalments of the initial dose.
We were told to have two a few months apart, then I think a yearly booster. Then we learned that it was like the flu vax, only lasted a few months. So each year is a fresh start. Have I got that right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you get 9/9 in Sportsbet tipping and you have to share the 7.5k prize pool with over 9500 other people, netting you a whopping 77 cents. 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back