Media This place is beginning to jump the shark

Remove this Banner Ad

My question would be why didn't we have something in place to deal with this sort of contingency before this situation arose? People suddenly disappearing from an internet site isn't all too rare, I have seen it many times before. Regardless, the provision for a sudden replacement is now there, so that's a good thing.
It’s amazing that people have real lives that take precedence, and actual real life s**t they have to do with…

Even in real world organisations, you have a back up in case the person in charge gets hit by a bus. (Or runs off with chad in accounting to Mexico).

It’s amazing that people have real lives that take precedence, and actual real life s**t they have to do with…

Even in real world organisations, you have a back up in case the person in charge gets hit by a bus. (Or runs off with chad in accounting to Mexico).
Just quietly, if any organisation hires somebody named Chad to do their accounting they deserve to go bankrupt.

Anyhoo, what's this thread about?

The more Posters on the committee means the more Posters us Plebs can blame for everything around here.

Bunch of useless fools.
Yet your team still found two people more qualified than you.

Yet your team still found two people more qualified than you.
I am a Pleb. Nothing more, maybe one day I can aspire to rise to the lofty heights of Committee member in the Sweet F.A.

But its a struggle from down here.

I know you’re all probably thinking “what is this grumpy old bastard going to have a cry about now?”.

Look, I know I tend to whinge a bit much about how different the league is from the good old days (and lets be honest, we had whingers back then too). I do genuinely try to see the good in the league and make excuses for all the negative aspects of it.

So the league has been a bit boring in recent seasons – It goes in cycles, it’ll be fine.
So we have just had the lowest rookie turn out in about 10 seasons, but we also had a low turnout in S27 and it turned out ok, it’ll be fine.
So a lot of teams seem to be struggling, again the league goes in cycles.

However, quite recently, I was informed of one change in the league that inspired me to go on this little rant.

Committee rep backups

Yep, that is right, apparently captaincy has gotten all too hard and now every single captain has a back up in the committee “just in case”.

There is now 26 people in the committee room.

Honestly, why?

The committee room as always supposed to be exclusive. One committee rep per club, the admin and obviously the site mods (who would only post if required).

Look, I get it, sometimes s*t happens and someone is unable to fulfil their committee duties. I don’t think there has ever been an admin that would refuse to replace a committee member if required. I know I was always happy to help out in that regard. This rarely happened (and I am not counting my own current club who at one point, could not ****** decide on committee reps, idiots).

But every club member needing a backup?

Not only that, but captains whinging about how difficult it is to do something as easy to post a teamsheet on time or any other of the most simple captaincy tasks required.

A bit under the pump? Post in the LG PM “Hey guys, I’m a bit busy atm, if I haven’t posted by 9pm can one of you quickly do it”? It’s not hard.

Honestly, the hardest part about being captain is
  • Recruiting
  • Keeping the team engaged
The rest is not all that hard. Even if you are busy, just delegate to the LG better or give someone else a shot.

Anyway, back to the committee back up issue.

One thing I know from my time in committee, captain, admin, mod is that, it is rarely actually active. The most active I have ever seen the committee was S28-S29, but that was more of an exception rather than a rule.

The committee is most active at the beginning of the season and during awards season. And even during awards season, the reps job is literally:
  • List their rookies for EKA consideration – not hard
  • Give the admin their beez voting nominations – not hard
  • Select their All -SFA nominations for the season – a little harder, but not too bad if you have a good LG. It has even been made super easy with Hate 's excellent site, and before that was still pretty easy with Barrybran 's stats thread
  • Discuss All-SFA team and give a proposed team – Usually the admin gives a proposed team and the committee work around that, there’s barely even discussion around it anymore.
It’s not a full time gig people, it’s not even a part time gig. All it requires for you is to check in now and then, update your LG, make a few posts when required, vote on things when required and maybe do half an hour work during the awards season.

So why was the idea of back up reps even entertained let alone implemented?

and why are captains whinging about the workload of being a captain, when a lot of the hard stuff is done for them?

Way too many people are starting to take this league more seriously than they should be. Even if you do miss a deadline, make a teamsheet * up, it gives people drama, gives the league stuff to talk about. This stuff is the bread and butter of this league and always has been. Even if you do miss a game, get docked points over something dumb, who gives a s**t? It's a game, a fake game.
Nice melt campaigner.

I also called for this nearly two years ago, whereby I, the great and mighty VeinGlorious , beacon of hope for the downtrodden, and Sweet FA trendsetter, came up with the Baghdad Bombers Leadership Stratagem.

Nice melt campaigner.

I also called for this nearly two years ago, whereby I, the great and mighty VeinGlorious , beacon of hope for the downtrodden, and Sweet FA trendsetter, came up with the Baghdad Bombers Leadership Stratagem.

You didn’t even just want a backup, you wanted to cycle through different reps every two weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m pretty sure my cousin Mister M ran off with some guy named Chad when he left the Furies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back