HiHoEverybody

Team Captain
Oct 14, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
If Jesse Hogan was in this years draft these two would be the pick of the key position players.

Who would you take & why?

Hogan is from wa so I would prefer him but gws loves Victorians so I would have to say Boyd. The advantage o Boyd is his height and frame. Already a beast and can potentially play a roughead role of ping hitting ruckman so his versatility could edge him over hogan. Either way both will more then likely be talked about in the same breath as Patton/Cameron/darling/daniher

Watched Hogan closely in the NAB Cup and he has a wide array of skills. Mobile for his size, good below his knees, clean ball handler, decent pace, good kick, can take a contested mark and on the lead, good decision-maker.

An early call but think he will be an elite player.

So if Melbourne get a priority pick, they pick Boyd.

This gives them Boyd, Hogan, Dawes and Clark. Can't see them all fitting into the one team. Maybe they can sell Clark on the cheap to Freo :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably Boyd.

Last year at the Championships he looked a lot cleaner with his one grab marking, has a lovely kick on him and is a few cm taller. Hogan's more aggressive and is a bit more adept at playing up the ground, but his overall game just doesn't seem quite as "neat" as Boyd. Although he has been playing pretty well in the VFL by the sounds of it.

Hogan is probably more versatile than Boyd in that he already has a good endurance and can rack up possessions up the ground. He also has mid pace over 20 metres. Most likely if Clark and Dawes are fit he will play that high forward 3rd tall role at AFL level to start with. He will attract the 3rd defender get possessions up and around the centre and drop back when appropriate to mark.
Knightmare ranks Boyd ahead of Hogan in his power rankings and has Boyd a 'CLEAR' No. 1 pick in the coming draft. If he is a clear no. 1 then if GWS do not trade that pick expect them to pick Boyd.

It would be interesting to see if Hogan was playing in the Championships this year how people would compare each other. Boyd was tearing it up till he got injured. An Hogan playing good footy in VFL, his last game, 21 disposals, 11 marks and six inside 50s, and 4 goals 3 behinds. Both will be great forwards in years to come.

I've seen Hogan play 3 VFL games and haven't seen Boyd so I can't make a call. From what I have seen of Hogan if people think Boyd is as good or better then Hogan; then GWS would be absolutely mad to trade pick one.

So if Melbourne get a priority pick, they pick Boyd.

This gives them Boyd, Hogan, Dawes and Clark. Can't see them all fitting into the one team. Maybe they can sell Clark on the cheap to Freo :)
1. 0% chance they get a start of first round priority pick. 0%.
2. Even if they did (and they won't), they wouldn't pick Boyd.

Humble Minion on Bomberblitz replied to a question asking how Day, Daniher, Boyd and Patton compared/compare on junior form. Not quite the question here, but thought it might be of interest and give more insight into Boyd:

Day I really don't rate on the same level as the other three. I reckoned he was a stretch when he was taken at 3, cos the Suns needed to grab a kpp early - think he was picked largely on athleticism and draft camp testing rather than performances against the best opposition. I always thought Tom Lynch was the better prospect in that year's draft, and if I was recruiting for the Suns I would have taken Swallow, Bennell and Heppell with the first three picks, then grabbed Lynch and Darling mid-first-round to fill the forward slots. But anyway...

Patton fits between the Daniher and Boyd in style, though closer to the latter. Physically he's built like Boyd and is almost ready to go, he's got a bit more explosive pace off the mark than Boyd and is better with the ball on the ground, though Boyd is a superior pack mark and a much better shot on goal.

If I was picking - it'd depend on context. Daniher's ceiling is the highest imho, but his injury history is worse and he's behind the other two in terms of physical development. If you're a club with a bit of confidence and depth in your list, you'd go with him. If you're a club at rock bottom who has a list full of duds and needs everything, you might go with one of the other two. I'd MAYBE go with Patton because I think his athleticism is superior and he's more capable of playing up the ground etc if necessary for matchup purposes, but if Boyd tested ok in the 20m sprint, standing vertical etc I'd probably waver simply because his kicking means he'll pretty much always get value from his opportunities.

Dont think so mate. Have you seen Hogan?

He is already monstering mature bodied key defenders at VFL level and has kicked 25 goals in 9 games.

He is ahead of Boyd by a mile.
Yea but he is being developed by Melbourne so he will go to s**t soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back