Tom Boyd vs Jesse Hogan

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
People get targeted for posting stupid comments, if someone continues to cop their whack then it's definitely a pattern.

If you post something stupid then prepare to cop a fair whack.

Tom is a hard player to get a handle on right now. He spends most of his time in the goal square, by design, competing for the long ball against a couple of opponents in the air. We score a lot of goals either directly from these contests or indirectly as a result of getting the ball in deep and keeping it there with forward pressure.

Very occasionally Tom will get out of the goal square and take a mark and he is a great set shot so he usually slots them. Because he is so accurate and so tall its pretty hard to stop him from at least getting 1 or 2 goals a game from only 3 or 4 marks (not withstanding the saints game where he inexplicably missed two sitters from 20m out - he really should have 10.1 this season, that was bizzare).

So without any sort of sexy play , giant pack marks, etc.. he is on his way to kicking 30-40 goals this season, and playing a vitally important long target role for us. Stringer, Crameri, Dalhaus and Dickson are absolutely dining out on the contests he is providing - he must be providing 20 of these a game at least.

I havent seen much of Hogan, but his stats read as someone who is on their bike a lot more getting up and about, taking marks on long leads and getting a run at pack marks - not someone who is chained to the goal square. The dogs would love a player like him to complement Boyds role, that would be crazy synergy.

Mks Cmks I50s
40 19 16 Hogan
12 7 10 Boyd

Let's just wait 3 years to tell who is better, there aren't too many key forward who have been very good sub 21 years old.

They are playing 2 very different roles at present. Hogan is a far better in terms of aerobic capacity and I doubt Boyd will ever catch him there.
I'm ecstatic we have Hogan and there's no doubt he is currently in front of Boyd. But we need a few more years to stamp it as a definite outcome.

[QUOTE="stefoid, post: 38507487, member: 3490"
Mks Cmks I50s
40 19 16 Hogan
12 7 10 Boyd[/QUOTE]

Only 12 marks for the season to Boyd? That cant be right

Tom is a hard player to get a handle on right now. He spends most of his time in the goal square, by design, competing for the long ball against a couple of opponents in the air. We score a lot of goals either directly from these contests or indirectly as a result of getting the ball in deep and keeping it there with forward pressure.

Very occasionally Tom will get out of the goal square and take a mark and he is a great set shot so he usually slots them. Because he is so accurate and so tall its pretty hard to stop him from at least getting 1 or 2 goals a game from only 3 or 4 marks (not withstanding the saints game where he inexplicably missed two sitters from 20m out - he really should have 10.1 this season, that was bizzare).

So without any sort of sexy play , giant pack marks, etc.. he is on his way to kicking 30-40 goals this season, and playing a vitally important long target role for us. Stringer, Crameri, Dalhaus and Dickson are absolutely dining out on the contests he is providing - he must be providing 20 of these a game at least.

I havent seen much of Hogan, but his stats read as someone who is on their bike a lot more getting up and about, taking marks on long leads and getting a run at pack marks - not someone who is chained to the goal square. The dogs would love a player like him to complement Boyds role, that would be crazy synergy.

Mks Cmks I50s
40 19 16 Hogan
12 7 10 Boyd
Stringer is similar type to Hogan, just a bit smaller. I think you kinda have that synergy going.

Stringers endurance is poor and he is a capable mark, but not a natural pack mark I think.
Love it when he has the ball in hand around goals though.
What we need to compliment Boyd is wide ranging hit up player who can take a tonne of marks.

[QUOTE="stefoid, post: 38507487, member: 3490"
Mks Cmks I50s
40 19 16 Hogan
12 7 10 Boyd

Only 12 marks for the season to Boyd? That cant be right[/QUOTE]

I migtht have got my columns mixed up - I think Hogan is 40/15 and Boyd is 19/7

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In fact, my eldest Brother played with him in a Reserves match while he was at Hawthorn (my Brother spent 3 years on Hawthorn's senior list). Ablett kicked 5 from the centre.

Each to their own, I just don't see the connection. That said, I'm not making a criticism.

Boyd has been much much better than I hoped he would be this year. Terrific get for the dogs and the cost is just Alistair Lynch level relevant... Couldn't give a flying pig at this point. Feel sorry for him in this thread as he is being compared to a potential Nick Reiwoldt/Carey type player in Hogan - the archetypal goo like player every team in the comp dreams about adding to their list. Happy to take Boyd and Stringer to the bank compared to the 20 years since Chris Grant. Good luck to Melbourne. They deserve some after the last 8 years their supporter base has suffered through.

I think the impressive thing about Hogan has been that while he hasn't torn a game apart, he hasn't had a bad game. His consistency has been fantastic
Maybe this week?
Could be playing on Shoenmakers. I'm expecting Hogan to destroy him.

Boyd has been much much better than I hoped he would be this year. Terrific get for the dogs and the cost is just Alistair Lynch level relevant... Couldn't give a flying pig at this point. Feel sorry for him in this thread as he is being compared to a potential Nick Reiwoldt/Carey type player in Hogan - the archetypal goo like player every team in the comp dreams about adding to their list. Happy to take Boyd and Stringer to the bank compared to the 20 years since Chris Grant. Good luck to Melbourne. They deserve some after the last 8 years their supporter base has suffered through.
Classy and measured post. I hope you fellas can build to something big too, you are well on the way. Stats will not completely show either Hogan or Boyd's impact as their replacements/alternatives would likely be VFL level players who are incapable of providing the same structure.

Maybe this week?
Could be playing on Shoenmakers. I'm expecting Hogan to destroy him.
Frawley is back and as much as I'd love Hogan to give him a bath he will be lucky to kick a goal let alone a bag considering with the team we have this week we may only go inside 50 about 30 times or so. Wouldn't be surprised to see him go goalless through little fault of his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back