Past Tom Mitchell - AFL MVP, Dual AA Rover, B&F Winner, 2018 Brownlow Medallist - traded for pick 14 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Truth is he is probably ahead of his time. Like Kevin durrant or lebron James he'll be off to the next club then.

Let's be honest here. He only agreed to be a father son with us after agreeing to top dollar. He's proposing moving on at first available opportunity. He is a professional footballer not a guy who does it to play with mates.
So he's a campaigner then?

I want to just say I am not trolling and come in peace and I can dig your frustration which is absolutely Fair enough, but you blokes have been up there for the best part of a decade with 2 flags.... Snared arguably the best player of the modern game, academy going well and additional cap space. It sucks losing gun players but surely no hand tied behind your backs?
Aaaah a better question. The hand behind the back comment is in reference to how the AFL has stiffed us in trading with the trade ban. It wasn't in reference to the Tom Mitchell trade I assume.

I checked your thread just now, to see what swans would ask for in trade value.
Amazed at the hatred for the hawks considering swans had 3 ex hawks playing forswans: Buddy, McGlynn and Josh Kennedy.
The latter 2 we traded for money coin and guaranteed coin at the time.

Footy is all business now, and any trade needs to be agreed to by the player being traded.

Some of the swans fans want Isaac Smith in trade but he is 500k, so the only ones you could financially fit in
would be Sicily, Litherland types.

Let's see what develops...
It's developed because of the hate you guys have for us.
Can't beat 'em so we just copy!

According to AFL.com we dont want players just high picks, no idea how this trade is gonna happen i think Harley is gonna make it as tough as possible especially to a competing rival.

Dont know, thats just media reports, but hypothetically if true there are 10 days, Harley is going to bend on day 1, doesnt mean it will be hard, just no rush.

Or maybe they hope Tom would re sign if it cant be done or take a trade elsewhere etc

As it sits it will just happen

According to AFL.com we dont want players just high picks, no idea how this trade is gonna happen i think Harley is gonna make it as tough as possible especially to a competing rival.

I suspect we've signalled early that Hawks need to look after us in their other dealings to find a suitable pick. Gives them time to upgrade their 1st or 2nd.

According to Trade radio the only 2 players of any value that the Hawks can trade for JOM is Smith or Bruest (Hawks ruled him out). I wouldn't be surprised to see Smith + 1st to the GC for JOM. Then a first and 2nd to us for Mitchell.
Lloyd also thinks pick 14 is reasonable for Mitchell because he's out of contract. LOL. He's forgetting that other Melbourne clubs might be interested. No way will he make it to Whoreks in the PSD.

either way we are losing...its unlikely we will get a kid in the draft as good as tom...only way we can look at it as a win is if we pretend its heeney for tom
I really don't think we need to pretend. It is what it is. Heeney and Mills and Allir's and Hewett's contracts end next year??? What are they pocketing now and how much after their next contract? We are preparing for that curve. I feel the same way at present regarding Tippett, Reid and Sinclair. Let's hope we are wrong and they fulfill their potential and come to be seen as premiership quality investments.

either way we are losing...its unlikely we will get a kid in the draft as good as tom...only way we can look at it as a win is if we pretend its heeney for tom
It's a funny one, but I have the feeling that losing Mitchell could make us a better side. That's no knock on Mitchell - he's a great player and I definitely would have preferred him to stay. But our midfield is very one-paced and losing Mitchell gives us the option to change it up with more speed - hell we could even look at bringing in someone with foot skills, but lets not get carried away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

pick 14 and 17 for pick 8.

Pick 8 and nankervis for pick 4

pick 4 and next years first for pick 1.

easy....lol
14 + 17 is the draft points equivalent of pick 4

This "squeezed out becasue of cap pressure" Hawthorn meme is just silly.

The club reckons he is worth $x for Y years

He reckons he is worth $x plus a lot for Y years and has someone willing to pay it.

It does not mean we cannot afford it necessarily.

It means we are not willing to pay it and think it is overs.

Now that could be because we don't rate Titch as highly as you guys, you are desperate, we want to toss a lot at Heeney/Mills/Hewett etc or it may mean we are stuffed. It could also be that Horse just hates the prick.

This continual assumption we offered him peanuts because it is all we had is not proven and doesn't even make sense given the changes in the list over the last few years. How many first year players and debutants did we have again this year?

If we were in a squeeze Sinclair and or Tippett plus Reid would be being shopped around (maybe they are). Macca would be tapped on the shoulder. All sorts of other things would not have happened.

All we do know is Tom is a hungry little beast. I wonder if St Kilda or Carlton might toss some cash his way with a nice sweetner for us.

Hawks gave Suns a list of 8 names that were possibly open to a trade.

Wonder if we got a copy?
Sounds like the Swannies want picks and not trades from the Hawks. Our cap must be under pressure and they want to develop in house now and get picks for future development. We still have Talia (remember him?) to come back into defense with AJ maybe someday. Robinson to come back onto the wing. Sam Reid (remember him?) as another tall forward option now that Papley has come through as our small forward option.

I actually don't think we'll be super active this trade period but they might prove me wrong. We'll more be drawn into having to trade based on players on our list wanting out.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back