Tony Modra

Remove this Banner Ad

On par with Sheedy dropping Kickett as one of the coldest selection decisions for a grand final.

Not many players deserve a premiership medallion more than Mods, single handedly put the Camry's on the map

You're right about your second sentence (although I'm pretty sure the camry stuff is supposed to be confined to the Port board or bay13...)

But you're wrong about the first point...

Sheedy dropped Kickett after he played every single game in the season, including the Prelim final

Modra only played 8 games in 1998 after coming back from the knee, and after getting dropped after the Qualifying Final, Crows won three consecutive finals matches on the road..

No doubt that we all wished Modra played in atleast one of the GFs, but for you to take pot shot and compare it to Sheedy/Kickett is a bit of a stretch
I take your point Jakey (about Kickett - sticks and stones re the Camry part...) however I mean more as for his overall contribution in 1997 and his ability to change a game. To say Modra wasn't in great form isn't quite fair - he kicked 12 in his 3 games prior to the Melbourne game from which he was dropped - that guarantees a game by anyone's standards.

History shows Blight was right. Doesn't mean it wasn't cold and harsh on Mods.

It'll get shot down really quickly and I understand that Crows supporters will take it as a Port flog taking a cheap swipe but Modra's departure was the beginning of 'player exists' from Adelaide. Premiership hero Rehn left not long after followed by the well documented departures of the 2000's. Although it wasn't a catalyst for players leaving, it certainly changed the dynamic of the club. But understand this opinion won't be popular.

FWIW I'm a massive Modra fan and still have jumpers and posters

Last edited:
Stenglein didn't play in any GF...

also I deleted my post because in retrospect it seemed reactionary and whiny.. but you were too quick / I was too slow :(
Apologies - didn't realise about Stenglein. All fixed:thumbsu:

In any case Modra was a star and a rare player who had universal respect from all supporters

Felt bad for him as a kid getting injured in the 1997 preliminary final and seeing him on crutches in the change rooms for the grand final. Then in 1998 didn't get selected in the grand final team. If I recall correctly his career ended with him being a bit of a star at Fremantle though obviously didn't get near a flag playing for them.
Yes he did. He kicked six goals against West Coast and was the difference in our first winning GF against them.

Pretty sure he partied like he'd won the GF too, think they all did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wikipedia/Google is doing a crap job explaining why his 1998 season was so bad the coach sacked him during the finals series. Can someone give me a long explanation?

Wikipedia/Google is doing a crap job explaining why his 1998 season was so bad the coach sacked him during the finals series. Can someone give me a long explanation?
"After returning from the knee injury 10 months later in 1998 he failed to regain form and was not considered for the 1998 AFL Grand Final"

Pretty easy to understand I'd say...

I remember when he signed for Freo. I couldn't believe the busted arse Freo managed to sign Tony ******* Modra.

He only played 3 seasons in Perth and missed nearly a third of them but he still kicked over 3 goals a game. First Docker to kick 50 in a season and one of only 4 that have done it to date. Only Docker to ever kick 10 in a game too. Laid about one tackle every 3 games.:D

I miss the 90s when a guy who was 23 could still just come into the AFL and thrill the crowds the way he did. Every 90s kid took a few 'Modraaaaaaaas' in the backyard.

Who would people take first: modra or Lloyd?
I'd go modra without a single doubt.

Not really answering your question, but I remember something back in 99 or 2000 where Sheedy came out and said that Lloyd didnt get enough help from the umpires and deserved more free kicks (a Kevin Sheedy special).

Someone then had a look at the stats which had that Lloyd had received around 20-odd frees for the year. The funny thing is that they compared it to Modra over in Freo, who had received a grand total of 2 free kicks for the year. It was like round 18 and the poor cat had received 2 frees from the maggots.

Anyone remember the urban legend that apparently in 97 all the Adelaide players went to a Broth or had a pros come to their room after winning the grand final and a few of the wives found out about it. So in 98 they all stayed back in Adelaide, and Tony (who didn’t get an invite to the grand final) went round a slayed them all. Possibly my favourite Urban Legend.

On par with Sheedy dropping Kickett as one of the coldest selection decisions for a grand final.

Not many players deserve a premiership medallion more than Mods, single handedly put the Camry's on the map

Yeah but they won

Remove this Banner Ad

Back