Tony Modra

Remove this Banner Ad

fair enough, he was a star at his peak thats for sure
never seen an athlete have such an impact in this state as Mods did was massive.
I remember at one point I cared more about how many goals mods kicked than whether the crows actually won.

Anyone remember the urban legend that apparently in 97 all the Adelaide players went to a Broth or had a pros come to their room after winning the grand final and a few of the wives found out about it. So in 98 they all stayed back in Adelaide, and Tony (who didn’t get an invite to the grand final) went round a slayed them all. Possibly my favourite Urban Legend.

Did he slay the wives?
I could imagine the wives wouldn't have minded that one bit ;)

I have often wondered why this man doesn't get the recognition he deserved. When talking about the some of the great players of the last 20 years, his name barely gets a mention. At his best, he was right up there with the greats.

A sublime talent who would put in a mark of year contender week in week out. Consistenly kicked bags of goals from everywhere. Some of my favourite football memories as a youngster were going to Victoria Park and seeing this guy up close, taking speckies and giving it to the crowd. As long as we won of course. I'll never forget the old chant that got belted out everytime the crows ventured to Vic Park. "Modra takes it up the arse, doo da, doo da". An oldie but a goodie.

Players like him are the reason we watch football.
Completely agree, but he has no Premiership medallion and that has greatly affected his legacy. He deserves to be a Premiership player, but in the end Adelaide took a huge crap on him. He couldn't even get a ticket to the GF in 98!

Was at the '93 game when he kicked ten against us.
Bitterly cold day also but he still nabbed em.
True champion of the game.

wasn't there a story that he missed training two days earlier and so cornesy went to his place the next day and found him pissed and wanting to give up the game, cornes talked him out of it, and then kicks the bag the next night

wasn't there a story that he missed training two days earlier and so cornesy went to his place the next day and found him pissed and wanting to give up the game, cornes talked him out of it, and then kicks the bag the next night
Memory vague now but wouldn't be surprised.

I remember getting dragged along by my older sister and her friend to a shopping centre where Modra was doing a signing and meet & greet. The ******* place was wall to wall shrieking teenage girls packed in like sardines. It reminded me of those clips of the Beatles performing in the sixties.

Bloody crazy, never gonna happen again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

that was the next season, 1994...

came out and kicked 13 against Carlton in Rnd 1

On par with Sheedy dropping Kickett as one of the coldest selection decisions for a grand final.

Not many players deserve a premiership medallion more than Mods, single handedly put the Camry's on the map

It wasn't a grand final. His last game was the loss against Melbourne, and he never played the last three games of 98. Very tough on him but probably the right call.

Some of his marking and goal kicking, particulary off the ground will never be equalled.

Could've been my bro-in law if my sister had of done the honorable thing and accepted his advances, instead she decides to have a fling with Timmy Hargreaves....

Unlucky.

It wasn't a grand final. His last game was the loss against Melbourne, and he never played the last three games of 98. Very tough on him but probably the right call.

Some of his marking and goal kicking, particulary off the ground will never be equalled.

Yeah, what a shame that was. Still, hard to argue that Blighty did the wrong thing. That game against WBs, Robran booting goals from 60 out and no controversial win that game. It would have been deserving to have him in that GF side though. He had earned it. All history now. My old work mate Corey is in all the highlight Vid clips of the 93 season, Adel V Rich, sitting next to his mum.

I played cricket against him about 10 years ago. Was living in Aldinga Beach and started playing for Aldinga CC in the Great Southern League. We were playing home against Encounter Bay (I think) whose star was Modra.

Was a pretty sharp bowler, however what I recall most vividly was his powerful batting. Was hitting sixes that travelled the same height from the moment it struck his bat 'til it flew over the boundary. Made over 50 (in rapid time).

I've played a lotta cricket (most in relatively high standards) and I've never seen a batsman who could hit the ball so hard with such a flat trajectory.

you've got to feel for Modra in amny ways, unfortunately his off field behavior often let him down.

But onfield a legend.

His off field behaviour only let him down in the sense that he was stuck in a fishbowl full of wowsers.
I've got on it with him once or twice, and on separate occasions a few high profiled Melbourne Based players, and I can assure you that the Vic boys would put him to shame in so many ways it ain't funny. He was a harmless Larrikin who couldn't hold his piss like some of us seasoned campaigners.
Even though I've not met the guy,Knowing the pissant mentality of the nanny state we live in,I'm sure the same could be said of Bernie Vince. Poor kid.

Last edited:
His off field behaviour only let him down in the sense that he was stuck in a fishbowl full of wowsers.
I've got on it with him once or twice, and on separate occasions a few high profiled Melbourne Based players, and I can assure you that the Vic boys would put him to shame in so many ways it ain't funny. He was a harmless Larrikin who couldn't hold his piss like some of us seasoned campaigners.
Even though I've not met the guy,Knowing the pissant mentality of the nanny state we live in,I'm sure the same could be said of Bernie Vince. Poor kid.
Pissant? You've been boozing it up with Aurelio Vidmar as well?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back