Expansion Top 2 in 2021! Cats and Hawks!

Remove this Banner Ad

Furn2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Ok first up this isn't a big up for the Hawks so don't even bother!

This is about the system and whether it works long term., or maybe it's just a big up the Hawks! I don't care!!!

So its May 2008 and the top 2 sides are Geelong and Hawthorn 9-0 v 8-1.

Move on 7 years, and the top 2 sides are the same two sides playing as the only 2 undefeated sides in 2014.

Ok, well it's cyclical you say ?

Except since 2006 these two sides have won 5 of 7 flags and been 2nd in the other 2.

Ok, well they have had their day and all their players are old! Except, I don't know about the Cats but only 7 current Hawks players played in the 2008 flag, only 6 have played this year and only 2 have played every game.

I'm not up to date on Geelongs list but I'm sure it's a similar story.

Now I'm sure both sides are full of old men and it's just a matter of time until they are then run over by the superior young talent !

Except! The Top of the ladder Hawks (I'm sure the cats are similar) have only 5 1st round picks on their list. Of those only 2 are top 5. Yet the VFL gf was played between guest who ? The Hawks and Cats !

Geelong weren't second in 2010.
Indeed they were third.

I do apologise.

But while I'm here ill mention that the Hawks and and Cats hve each lost a once in a generation player and still sit 1-2 and the cats have even had a change of coach.

Indeed they were third.

I do apologise.

But while I'm here ill mention that the Hawks and and Cats hve each lost a once in a generation player and still sit 1-2

So if they've both lost a "once in a generation" player, wouldn't that mean that there's two "once in a generation" players in one generation???

Indeed they were third.

I do apologise.

But while I'm here ill mention that the Hawks and and Cats hve each lost a once in a generation player and still sit 1-2 and the cats have even had a change of coach.

Congratulations.

Is that what you were looking for when you posted this thread? Everyone knows Geelong and Hawthorn have been great, not sure what else you need to hear.

Expansion teams have diminished the ability of the middle of the road/bottom teams to add young talent to already experienced and developing lists. The usual cycles have been interrupted.

Having said that, free agency is a massive game changer to the old turn based system. And to be a side regarded as a top contender at the moment it came in should also be a boon to both clubs.

Congratulations.

Is that what you were looking for when you posted this thread? Everyone knows Geelong and Hawthorn have been great, not sure what else you need to hear.

Why would I want to hear about how great Geelong are? They can't go to hell and Die!

They question is tell me why they won't be the best teams in 7 years ? A d 7 years beyond that ?.

Why would I want to hear about how great Geelong are? They can't go to hell and Die!

They question is tell me why they won't be the best teams in 7 years ? A d 7 years beyond that ?.

No they won't unfortunately, that's why they pop up each year...

I can't tell you whether Hawthorn and/or Geelong will be the best teams in 7 years or 7 years after that. No one can..

The afl are hellbent equalisation. The latest move to cap operations spending is yet another obstacle placed in the path of well run clubs. I hope both Hawthorn and Geelong can continue to thwart the AFL in its efforts and demonstrate that certain intangibles like club culture are immune to contrivances Vlads oligarchy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This really harks back to the old argument of drafting vs development. I personally think it's 85% development. Is if Richmond took Franklin and hawthorn took tambling- franklin doesn't become the elite champion - and tamblig probably becomes a good regular player at the least.
Geelong and hawthorn develop players. On and off the ground. Their reign will never end.

Geelong have a big advantage with having their own home ground, which is an advantage that only Geelong, GWS and Gold Coast enjoy.

They win away nearly just as much as they win at Simonds.

They're a great team, we also have a home ground advantage with 4 matches at Tassie where we usually bank the 4 points like the cats do at Simonds.

On this topic, I think development in a successful side as opposed to a club that struggles plays a big part.

Also look at most of the young players in both sides. They've done a 3-4 year apprenticeship and learned the teams way and not gifted games.

Paul Roos clearly believes in this as he has mentioned it before but a side like Melbourne can't really live by it as they need to play their younger players with the position they're in.

Geelong and Hawthorn whilst great atm and for the most part of 7 years aren't immune to a bad fall. Many top clubs/teams have fallen in the past quickly and not recovered so anything can happen.

However with these 2 sides, when a fall comes it will most likely be a gradual fall and not a dramatic quick one. I've seen many people predict Geelong and Hawthorn as bottom 4 clubs in 3 years but can't see that happening.

I do however believe GC and GWS will become strong clubs and overtake these clubs and others in 3 or 4 years time but the culture within the 2 clubs discussed here will hold them in good stead for the future.

In 1989 top 2 teams were Geelong and Hawthorn.

Surely they will still be the top two teams in 2039?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back