Top two finish awaits!

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely we should be barracking for Sydney against Hawthorn. The ideal situation is for Freo and Sydney to finish 1-2, and force Hawthorn into away finals in Perth/Sydney, which hopefully they lose. That would be our best chance of a flag. If we faced Hawthorn at the MCG, I just don't see us winning unless we play an absolute blinder. If Hawthorn beat Sydney this week, they are back in the box seat to finish top 2 ahead of the Swans.

Yeah Swans all the way; every GF is a home game for the Hawks even if they've called themselves up from 8th spot.

Why worry about the Crows or WCE though? The goal isn't to have an even buffer over everyone because it looks cool. We have Sydney, Crows, and WCE covered. WCE making the four is good for us. Better that Sydney get up over the Hawks, and the draw allows top 8 teams to sneak into the 4.
In case we somehow lose 2 games or more.....I like top spot with a large buffer to second...

Hawks have a good list of ins this week including Lewis and Lake.

Still cant believe we let lake roam free at the end of the GF......

I think Adelaide will get up this week at GWS, even though they aren't favourites. Hawks / Syd is the game of the round though.

Possible that richmond port could be interesting in patches too.

All in all, we should have revised our expectations to finishing top. But top two will do!

Surely we should be barracking for Sydney against Hawthorn. The ideal situation is for Freo and Sydney to finish 1-2, and force Hawthorn into away finals in Perth/Sydney, which hopefully they lose. That would be our best chance of a flag. If we faced Hawthorn at the MCG, I just don't see us winning unless we play an absolute blinder. If Hawthorn beat Sydney this week, they are back in the box seat to finish top 2 ahead of the Swans.

Plus we want to be battling for either first or second, not first second or possibly third. Now that Sydney are a game ahead of Hawthorn, we want Sydney to have as much separation as possible to Hawthorn, to increase our chances of top 2 if we drop a couple

Would be preferable... do you think now that our mids would be able to get on top of theirs?

Yeah think they can. The growth of Neale has been the biggest plus to our team. Its the lower players in a team that can make a big difference against the best. We at least got depth now and spread of goals is good.

That's what they say - it's players 16-22 that make the difference. It's great that right now those guys (Suban, de Boer, Zu, Sheridan etc) are fit, hungry and competing to get in the team. Hopefully it's the same come September / October.

just no interest in blues games... horrible to watch. I was spewing when i realised that hawks and sys where on the same time as us. Just dumb fixturing.

Though its good to look at the app while in my seat at domain and chat to other supporters about the scores. If sys go ahead by a big margin there will be much joy i think.

Yeah think they can. The growth of Neale has been the biggest plus to our team. Its the lower players in a team that can make a big difference against the best. We at least got depth now and spread of goals is good.

The spread of goals is key. I haven't got the stats but my recollection of the past bunch of GF's is that there is usually a decent spread of goal kickers and the teams that win convincingly win through weight of numbers in the goal kicking. I would assume that this is because teams that get to the GF generally have a good KDP or two backed by quality team defence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tonight I've gone Geelong to win by 30+ paying 1.92
Solid... I still cant get interested though. Theres a scott, a malthouse and a very ordinary team in carlton. Should be 40+ easy. Half time should be 8 goal lead for the cats. Good to recover some percentage.

I would love to see a GF this year with a WA/NSW flavour, Freo v GWS. Unfortunately, it's more likely to be Swans. I still fear that if Hawthorn gets past a prelim, their best is the best, but hoping their mounting losses keeps them interstate for early finals.
Like most non Freo supporters, would be rapt for Pav and Sandi, to win a flag, but unlike most supporters, I really like Ballantyne and Lyon, and your team is way overdue.
I was supporting your team for the flag the years Geelong was out of it, when Brett Peake was in your team...you were exciting back then, but this current team is like St. Kilda of 09, with more steely resolve, and a midfield depth the envy of the comp. As long as 211 and Pav and McPharlin can be managed through to October, and Pav has some KF assistance, this has to be your year.

Sydney just did our top 2 chances a massive favour. We're now 4 games in front of Hawthorn with only 14 rounds to go.

Sydney just did our top 2 chances a massive favour. We're now 4 games in front of Hawthorn with only 14 rounds to go.

Hawks losing 4 this early in the year is a massive story. They still play Sydney away later in the year. Their percentage is so good that they will inevitably be higher than teams they are equal on points with. But I cant see them catching the swans from here. Then there are teams like GWS and WCE that are probably going to be in the top eight making things tight. Port should win today and make a charge, but at the minute there is a log jam of pretty average teams that will make life hard for each other and hopefully hawthorn too. WB are a wildcard team also. Collingwood may be back in the eight, and Geelong will most of their remaining games at KP and are likely to finish between 5-9th.

When I started this thread people shot it down, for being too early etc and most of that was based off ingrained freo scepticism and fear of optimism. Look at the draw and we shouldn't drop one until a tough game against the hawks. Which if we take our full team we could be in with shot the way our mids are dominating. But more than likely we will rest a few. Then after that we have a run of games that we should win.

10 goal wins over the next 7 rounds will become the norm I think. I also think we will crack the 20 goal a game mark in a couple of them.

Hawks losing 4 this early in the year is a massive story. They still play Sydney away later in the year. Their percentage is so good that they will inevitably be higher than teams they are equal on points with. But I cant see them catching the swans from here. Then there are teams like GWS and WCE that are probably going to be in the top eight making things tight. Port should win today and make a charge, but at the minute there is a log jam of pretty average teams that will make life hard for each other and hopefully hawthorn too. WB are a wildcard team also. Collingwood may be back in the eight, and Geelong will most of their remaining games at KP and are likely to finish between 5-9th.

When I started this thread people shot it down, for being too early etc and most of that was based off ingrained freo scepticism and fear of optimism. Look at the draw and we shouldn't drop one until a tough game against the hawks. Which if we take our full team we could be in with shot the way our mids are dominating. But more than likely we will rest a few. Then after that we have a run of games that we should win.

10 goal wins over the next 7 rounds will become the norm I think. I also think we will crack the 20 goal a game mark in a couple of them.

Good post. But what makes you think we'll rest players against the Hawks? I'd have thought Ross would want the best available team to try to get the 4 points and to test ourselves against the best.

When I started this thread people shot it down, for being too early etc and most of that was based off ingrained freo scepticism and fear of optimism.

What we've seen since then is a Fremantle unlike any that's come before it, and all of the contenders dropping games they really shouldn't have. I don't think it was unreasonable to suggest it was too early to start making bold predictions.

We should make top 2 now (famous last words) - although you never know what could happen over the last 2/3 of the season.

I hope WCE keeps winning - as much for the laughs as anything else. Having the hawks and sydney having to scrap the way home works out nicely

Good post. But what makes you think we'll rest players against the Hawks? I'd have thought Ross would want the best available team to try to get the 4 points and to test ourselves against the best.

I suspect our management strategy will hinge on whether we continue winning our games coming up to the bye. If we drop a game or two, we'll be likely to go full strength to Aurora. if we (touch wood) continue to roll along, I think we may send the Second tier, not just to rest the oldies but also to season them in preparation for a full on finals tilt.

I suspect our management strategy will hinge on whether we continue winning our games coming up to the bye. If we drop a game or two, we'll be likely to go full strength to Aurora. if we (touch wood) continue to roll along, I think we may send the Second tier, not just to rest the oldies but also to season them in preparation for a full on finals tilt.
Sorry Grape Bear, but there is no way we will gift a psychological advantage to a rival as good as Hawthorn so close to finals. That would be really, really dumb and Ross is anything but dumb :)

The side should push as hard as it can in each and every game up until the Hawks and then look at managing players in the lead up to finals after that game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back