Top two finish awaits!

Remove this Banner Ad

Dunno if it's been said, but Is it better to finish 1st or 2nd this year?
Was talking to some mates about it, some are convinced 1st some 2nd.

1st place gets the easier qualifier (still against quality opposition-syd) so a win over here is likely. But if we lose, play Richmond (most likely) & we know how that turned out. Win that & it's most likely a prelim v Hawks at the G.

2nd place gets a free crack at Hawks at home. Nothing to lose. Win & play the easier prelim, lose & play north or dogs here. Win the semi & we play Eagles in a prelim at home, so 3 home games in a row.

Great place to be in, but I think I'd rather 1st.

I'd rather avoid the Hawks in week 1 of the finals...on our current form it'd be ugly. I'd fancy our chances to grind out a result against Sydney over here and then get a home prelim against West Coast or the Hawks. If it was the Hawks second trip west for the finals some of the older bodies my be banged up and tired

No team has made the grand final after losing week 1 since West Coast in 2006. Don't discount how much of a benefit that week off is. If we want to win the lot, we have to win week 1, and that probably wont be happening if we're playing Hawthorn. Get a week off and we'll beat Hawthorn here.

Really?...That "one of us" could only be your mob...But i cant see WCE dropping the last 2 games....Adelaide maybe, but not to the saints.
I was thinking maybe you guys and Melbourne. Melbourne stink but your form hasn't been too good either, and no Fyfe or Pav and maybe a few more exclusions. They will be reeling from the negative press over the past week from their loss to Carlton. Maybe an upset? We'll finish 1 and 2 most likely but still the potential is there. Saints have had some close games against us in recent times at home so you never know.

I was thinking maybe you guys and Melbourne. Melbourne stink but your form hasn't been too good either, and no Fyfe or Pav and maybe a few more exclusions. They will be reeling from the negative press over the past week from their loss to Carlton. Maybe an upset? We'll finish 1 and 2 most likely but still the potential is there. Saints have had some close games against us in recent times at home so you never know.

No top team should lose to Melbourne without their 2 best.
Pav trained and is looking likely anyways. If we play it right, he only has to play once a fortnight for the next month.
We won't rest players at home, more likely against Port.

I'd be disgusted if we conceded 1st to West Coast. Can't see us beating Hawthorn week 1.

West coast will not lose to Adelaide. Not a chance

Bulldogs would beat Adelaide and eagles smashed them

We have no choice but to win both games now as they will win both games by about 190 points. It's a shame we won't get to rest any for the port game. I watched the GWS v port game and they played real dirty. If port are out of the finals race, I would expect us to be at risk of suspension for some players. Port will want to hurt our chances

Beat Melbourne and the like always it comes down to a last round game against port :(

We finish first we make the GF. We can beat the swans

Finish second, I believe we go out in straight sets
Adelaide is playing in passion, similar to the Bombers when the Asada stuff first came about. That makes them a very dangerous team, especially at home.

Unlikely to lose to Melb...But never say never!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Week one finals scheduling will be interesting given Freo and WC are most likely going to finish one and two (or two and one).

I believe the typical slots for the four games (2 Qualifying Finals and 2 Elimination Finals) are Friday night, Sat afternoon, Sat night, Sunday afternoon.

Normally the QFs tend to be earlier in the weekend, from memory. Given there won't be two games at Subi on the Saturday, one of the QFs will be on the Friday night or the Sunday arvo and the other on the Saturday, with my tip being Saturday afternoon (to allow the travelling team time to get home and because there could be an all Victorian EF).

The Friday night slot will be interesting given that all likely top 4 teams (except Richmond and Norf) would've played on the Saturday in R23 (six day break) and three of the four (WC, Syd, Freo) would have also played on the Sunday in R22 (consecutive six day breaks). Not sure either of the WA teams would want a Friday night QF.

No team has made the grand final after losing week 1 since West Coast in 2006. Don't discount how much of a benefit that week off is. If we want to win the lot, we have to win week 1, and that probably wont be happening if we're playing Hawthorn. Get a week off and we'll beat Hawthorn here.

Hawthorn are definitely our bogey team, but it's worth noting that we've only played them at subi once in the last 4 seasons... and we beat them.

One benefit of finishing top is the Friday night prelim final, assuming we win the qualifying final.

If both West Coast and Freo host a prelim, win finish top, we are Friday night and then should we win the Friday night game our fans will buy any and all remaining airline tickets and accommodation before West Coast even play their game.

One benefit of finishing top is the Friday night prelim final, assuming we win the qualifying final.

If both West Coast and Freo host a prelim, win finish top, we are Friday night and then should we win the Friday night game our fans will buy any and all remaining airline tickets and accommodation before West Coast even play their game.
Would be a well deserved advantage for the minor premier. You'd get almost all the neutral support as well.

I'd like us to play Hawthorn in week 1.We take care of the hawks and then WC can beat them in a PF.We should then have a derby GF at a neutral ground.

If you beat hawthorn in the QF no guarantee you won't play em again in the GF. History also says it's easier to win an away QF than away PF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back