Tour de France 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone have any idea why Pinot didn't start 3rd last? He was the 3rd placed rider last year and should have been one of the seeded riders for the prologue this year as a result. Instead, we saw Demare starting between the seeded riders (Peraud & Froome). Just a little bit ridiculous.
Is it actually the rider who is seeded or the team? Perhaps Pinot opted for his team mate (Demare) to ride in the 3rd place spot if it is his prerogative to do so. Not sure how the seeding system works TBH, just throwing ideas out there.

Is it actually the rider who is seeded or the team? Perhaps Pinot opted for his team mate (Demare) to ride in the 3rd place spot if it is his prerogative to do so. Not sure how the seeding system works TBH, just throwing ideas out there.
You may have a good point there. Remember Dennis chose his spot to be very early.

Fell asleep not long after the start, what happened to Dowsett? Kelderman and Gesink a bit of a surprise, be interesting to see what their team does now, hopefully target some time bonus stage wins early on, 3 & 8 could be good chances for Kelderman to get some extra seconds before the big mountains.

Fell asleep not long after the start, what happened to Dowsett? Kelderman and Gesink a bit of a surprise, be interesting to see what their team does now, hopefully target some time bonus stage wins early on, 3 & 8 could be good chances for Kelderman to get some extra seconds before the big mountains.
They didn't show much of him, finished 30-40 seconds behind the winner.

Lotto have an interesting team. With Gesink, Kelderman, Ten Dam and Kruisjwijk they have a really good team of guys who can ride well in mountains, but none of them are real stand outs. I think they will just end up letting the dust settle after the first few mountains stages to then choose who to back.

Not surprising about Kelderman. Will have a big tour.

And the time trial order is based on what number set the teams have. No seeding at all. Obviously the defending champions team have numbers 1-9. And then from there it's what the organisers want to do. Usually 2nd placed last year has numbers 11-20 and third place has 21-30.

So the teams orders were based on what number set they were given. From there the riders choose what position they want to ride in. Peraud could have ridden first slot for his team if he wanted. He didn't have to start second last. He opted to do so.

Likewise Nibali didn't have to start last but it's good manners to have the defending champion start last, but it's not mandatory.

Most stacked Tour I can remember for a while. Beats Nibali v Peraud/Pinot for sure.

Good on Dennis. SA sport desperately needs some ray of sunshine and he provided it. :thumbsu:

The top-5 riders have been seeded, based on previous performances. Nibali is wearing #1 as the reigning champion. Peraud & Pinot are #11 and #21 as the 2nd and 3rd placed riders from last year. Froome is wearing #31 and Contador #41. Nibali, Peraud, Froome & Contador were 4 of the last 5 riders to start, which I believe was mandated by the race organisers. Why Pinot was allowed to ride earlier, with Demare starting between Peraud and Froome, I'm not sure.

You may have a good point there. Remember Dennis chose his spot to be very early.
Dennis isn't a seeded rider. He's not even the main GC rider on his team - that title belong to Tejay van Garderen. I have no problems with the teams being allowed to determine the start order of their lesser riders.

Pinot is one of the 5 seeded riders, yet he was allowed to start earlier than the other seeded riders. That's what's confusing me.

Had a work function last night so I was unable to watch Rohan's win. Great effort from him, ITT victory has been beckoning for a while now. Anywhere to stream stage 2?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stage 2: Utrecht - Zelande
Current Jersey Leaders
Yellow:
Rohan Dennis (BMC)
White: Rohan Dennis (BMC) - worn by Tom Dumoulin (TGA)
Green: Roahn Dennis (BMC) - worn by Tony Martin (EQS)
Polkadot: N/A
Lantern Rouge: Mikael Cherel (ALM)
Team: Lotto NL - Jumbo

Last night really only sorted out the jersey wearers for the first road stage. No great time was gained or lost by anyone that is really in contention for the overall.

carte.pdf

PROFIL.png

Tonight's stage I fully expect a bunch sprint. There will be no other outcome. Given that the bonus seconds are now back up for grabs (10sec for first, 8sec for second and 6sec for third on all stages 2-8). the sprinters' teams will be gunning for those bonus seconds in order to possibly see their own rider in yellow later in the week. The stage tonight rises to a staggering height of 6m above sea level.

My tip for tonight is Mark Cavendish, but look out for Paul and Phil mentioning the phrase "pilot fish" every time they talk about Mark Renshaw.

Last edited:
Dennis isn't a seeded rider. He's not even the main GC rider on his team - that title belong to Tejay van Garderen. I have no problems with the teams being allowed to determine the start order of their lesser riders.

Pinot is one of the 5 seeded riders, yet he was allowed to start earlier than the other seeded riders. That's what's confusing me.

They all could have gone earlier if they wanted to. In other Grand Tours, GC riders have opted to go earlier than later. You're allowed to. Pinot decided to go earlier. Contador, Peraud, Froome all decided to go last but they were allowed to go earlier if they wanted to. And they aren't seeded riders. It's just the teams that were seeded and they could have had any of their riders go in any position they wanted. At the end of the day, opening time trials are strategic in that you can choose where you want your riders to go. Movistar thought it was going to rain later on so they opted to have Quintana go earlier rather than go with the other GC guys. If Movistar had the 11-19, 21-30, 31-40 bibs they still would have had Quintana go early.

I guarantee you that if there was a threat of rain, Peraud, Froome etc and even Nibali all would have gone earlier than they did.

Last edited:
Chance of a bit of rain around tonight. Rain combined with the standard first week nerves and freshness along with the first sprint stage, I'm predicting a bit of carnage with plenty of riders hitting the deck. Cavendish will win without breaking a sweat.

Had a work function last night so I was unable to watch Rohan's win. Great effort from him, ITT victory has been beckoning for a while now. Anywhere to stream stage 2?
No real need. It's being broadcast live on SBS HD from 8:30 tonight. Coverage will probably start closer to 9, after they do the talking head intros and waste 10 minutes of our life with Gabriel Gate.

No real need. It's being broadcast live on SBS HD from 8:30 tonight. Coverage will probably start closer to 9, after they do the talking head intros and waste 10 minutes of our life with Gabriel Gate.

Excellent.

Could Rohan Dennis have a similar career to Mick Rogers? I.e. great time trialer and solid climber but not good enough to contend for overall GC but be a very handy domestique in the mountains? Mick would have to be one of the best domestique's on the scene right now.
Also why no Simon Clarke or Hansen for the Tour?

Big climb over the length of the course today. Starts at 2m above sea level and finishes at 8m. Surely that's worth a KOM point to give someone a jersey.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back