Mega Thread Trade and List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Priority list for next year should only consist of:
Carlisle
WHE
Premiership.

Just don't think we can afford to get another 'big price' player in. First and foremost, Bontempelli, Stringer, Macrae and Dahlhaus have to all be protected. I say we just draft a gun mid with our 2015 first rounder which realistically will be in the top 6 picks and then maybe trade a 2nd or 3rd rounder for an outside mid or KPD who can slot straight into our defence if all goes astray. Boyd was our big name/big price trade, we just have to filter remaining coin into our other young guns. The list we have presently first and foremost must be all held together and if we can add a important defensive/outside mid cog or two. Carlisle will be at least 800k and quite simply as much as I want him/ we can't afford a dahlhaus to walk straight out the door because in his mind he isn't making enough money.

Pretty sure he resigned with them. Wait for free agency for our next raid there.
As much as I would like another one now, they are going to be raided by other Vic clubs when they don't make finals this year.
From what I can see there was an article a few months back saying he was "close to re-signing" but doesn't seem like he's actually re-signed yet. Also said he's best mates with Dom Tyson, and has grown to 196cm. He will be an absolute beast and is absolutely perfect to partner with Boyd. Ahh that would be a dream :p worth at least checking it out, no harm done if all we do is force GWS to pay more for him.

Just don't think we can afford to get another 'big price' player in. First and foremost, Bontempelli, Stringer, Macrae and Dahlhaus have to all be protected. I say we just draft a gun mid with our 2015 first rounder which realistically will be in the top 6 picks and then maybe trade a 2nd or 3rd rounder for an outside mid or KPD who can slot straight into our defence if all goes astray. Boyd was our big name/big price trade, we just have to filter remaining coin into our other young guns. The list we have presently first and foremost must be all held together and if we can add a important defensive/outside mid cog or two. Carlisle will be at least 800k and quite simply as much as I want him/ we can't afford a dahlhaus to walk straight out the door because in his mind he isn't making enough money.
We can, with the dumping of Griffen, Cooney and Higgins' salary who of all would have been in the top 10 highest paid players.
Merely to make the salary floor this year we'd have to front load contracts.
That leaves likely somewhere between $2million and $2.5 million or roughly 20% of the cap that we wouldn't otherwise have.
Sure, some of that is going toward Boyd, but surprisingly less than half of that amount. Some is going to re-sign our best players, but again, the effects of that is cancelled out because we're playing their increased contracts this coming season, not at the end of their deal, because of front-loading.
That still leaves 800k for somebody like Carlisle.
We will sign a big name player like him because we have the money. We were very smart in shipping off heavy contracts like Higgins' and Cooney's - both were valuable for the salary cap room, the draft picks were a bonus.

Carlisle seems pretty happy at Essendon, I can't see him leaving.

Get into Liam Duggan early.

Carlisle seems pretty happy at Essendon, I can't see him leaving.

Get into Liam Duggan early.

Exactly we need to pick off some targets who might not be to expensive to get. I'd prefer we target one or two of the likes of Duggan, Nick Haynes (GWS), maybe Charlie Dixon (GC) etc those types who would instantly slot into our best 22 but won't cost 700k + and a top 5 pick (Haynes might but we could get something back as well). WHE, Carlisle, Treloar all will be needing 650 + to get to the dogs and at least a top 4 pick. Could do with a couple more of Crameri type price range players to improve defense and outside mid stocks.

Exactly we need to pick off some targets who might not be to expensive to get. I'd prefer we target one or two of the likes of Duggan, Nick Haynes (GWS), maybe Charlie Dixon (GC) etc those types who would instantly slot into our best 22 but won't cost 700k + and a top 5 pick (Haynes might but we could get something back as well). WHE, Carlisle, Treloar all will be needing 650 + to get to the dogs and at least a top 4 pick. Could do with a couple more of Crameri type price range players to improve defense and outside mid stocks.
I agree, but then again if Trelaor was on the table I'd give him 750k in a heartbeat. Best young midfielder in the game.

But yeah, I think it's a bit smarter for us to get two or three players this time next year. Good players though, don't want us doing a Melbourne and getting the Rodan's and Byrnes's of this world.

Also got Boyd, Murph, Moz and Minson hanging them up over the next couple of years (hopefully 3+ for Minno) who you'd imagine would be in our highest paid players, so that should open up more space when Boyds contract kicks in and our kids are coming out of contract.

I agree, but then again if Trelaor was on the table I'd give him 750k in a heartbeat. Best young midfielder in the game.

But yeah, I think it's a bit smarter for us to get two or three players this time next year. Good players though, don't want us doing a Melbourne and getting the Rodan's and Byrnes's of this world.

GWS would launch a counter strike trying to get say our first rounder plus dahlhaus or worse Bontempelli. The collateral damage of such a trade might be a worse result than first thought. I'm not keen at all to provoke GWS by targeting another young gun (by that I mean top 5 player). Couldn't live with myself seeing someone like Stringer or Macrae going in the opposite direction even if it was for Treloar. Prefer to go after Haynes or the like and Treloar would cost 1m a season. Someone like a Collingwood or Richmond will chase Treloar I imagine. GWS have the huge cap plus the trade assets to hit us where it hurts.
IF i were GWS i would demand Bontempelli in a direct swap and that quite simply just cannot happen for us.

I'd prefer that we try to avoid getting players from either GWS (because with their trade assets and cap space could spell trouble) or Essendon (because of the ASADA case). GC wouldn't also be ideal because of cap space they have. I'd like us in the next 2 years go after players in that 350k to 600k price range and hopefully grab two. Players who might be in this price range we can have a look at include:

Astbury (Rich)
Dixon (GC)
Masten (WCE)
Sidebottom (COL) would probably cost a bit extra but would be handy
Brown (WCE)
Shuey (WCE)
Trengrove (PORT)

Those types who aren't exactly superstars but would be very capable additions if we could grab one or two it would improve our age demographic and all would be best 22 who fit positions we need (KPD/Outside mid/2nd Ruck forward)

Last edited:
it is good to dream big
but I think we would be better off bringing in a few good players then the one star
at least until we're ready to challenge, when we become a much more attractive destination to the stars

Price differentials AFL fantasy 2014 to 2015
Five biggest ups and downs
Michael Talia Down $189,500 def
Tory Dickson Down $179,800 fwd
Clay Smith Down $167,600 mid
Jarrad Grant Down $154,900 fwd
Mitch Wallis Down $50,100 mid

Jackson Macrae up $246,600 mid
Easton Wood up $154,600 def
Marcus Bontempelli up $137,300 fwd/mid
Nathan Hrovat up $116,800 fwd
Luke Dahlhaus up $112,900 fwd
It's fantasy time, some player designations
have changed.

So lets just say none of our young back flankers really take a step next year, do we look at Suckling as a FA? Bev will probably know him better than anyone else.

So lets just say none of our young back flankers really take a step next year, do we look at Suckling as a FA? Bev will probably know him better than anyone else.

We have a look at him regardless, Suckling is a gun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suckling may be the perfect type for us to target. Young recruit, dispensable to hawks as they will have a salary cap press. Let's be honest they're all stars over there. Doesn't hurt our draft position and isn't such a freak that we'll have to worry about losing our young guns.

Would be 100% for Suckling. Not a star but a proven talent and strikes me as the perfect example of a player that will get squeezed out by the cap.

have changed.
None of those are overly surprising. Those that went down are because of injury (Dickson, Smith, Grant to an extent), lack of senior gametime (Grant, Talia, Dickson), or a change in role (Wallis to a tagger).

Whereas the 5 biggest ups were all guys that showed massive improvement (Macrae, Wood), were new to the game/got increased gametime (Bont, Hrovat), or just continued their steady improvement and had a great season (Dahl).

As an aside, saw the little birdie on the weekend. Caleb Daniel is tearing the place apart. They are rapt with him. And doggies ftw im happy to talk about Tomlinson all day. He is best mates with Tyson but happy up there, just resigned and won't be back in a hurry. He's also not what we want, except if you want a well skilled, endurance running wingman. He's not a KPP....

As an aside, saw the little birdie on the weekend. Caleb Daniel is tearing the place apart. They are rapt with him. And doggies ftw im happy to talk about Tomlinson all day. He is best mates with Tyson but happy up there, just resigned and won't be back in a hurry. He's also not what we want, except if you want a well skilled, endurance running wingman. He's not a KPP....
Appreciate the reports, mate.

Any news on the rest of our smalls (Honeychurch, McLean, Hunter, etc)?

Cheers mate. Heard anything about the general vibe of the place after the off season? You said he was sad to see macca and it pricked my interest

I say Tomlinson has all the attributes to become Nick Riewoldt MK2. However as you said he's not a KPP, he has to learn to be a CHF at his size, he'd be 6"5 and 95-100kg, that's big enough. Good to hear Daniel is doing everything right to be in contention.

have changed.
Go to the Dreamteam/AFL Fantasy board, I have a players of interest thread there. Really like Hrovat as a forward option even though he seems a little expensive at 405k.

I think Suckling's ability is flattered by being part of an excellent team - but that said, I definitely think he's competent enough to have a role with us. Was big on him when Hawthorn supporters were shopping him around mid-year and would be very keen to get him in through FA if the price is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back