Mega Thread Trade and List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Macrae as a player but my post was more referring to the defensive side of things and while he has definitely improved that side of his game hugely I still probably wouldnt have him with those other guys I named, definitely getting there though.

He still picked up 117 tackles last year which is a fair number for a player than is considering by some to be an outside player.

He still picked up 117 tackles last year which is a fair number for a player than is considering by some to be an outside player.
Yeah he definitely started racking up tackles this year which was a great step forward in his career, just think hes not yet as good defensively as the likes of Libba, Dahl, Koby, Picken, Wallis. Which is definitely nothing to be ashamed of.

I think it's just as much on Melbourne, they don't want him to be seen as an utter dud so they want to keep him until he plays well. Did you know that he has played 115 games so far? He has played 20 more games than Easton Wood and only has one more brownlow vote to show for it. Bontempelli has only played 37 games but he has doubled Watts career brownlow votes and only has 50 less goals than him. His most tackles in a season was 58, 3 more than what Bontempelli got in his debut season from six less games.
Of the 91 birth years which Watts is one, i think Steele Sidebottom has
played the most games, Watts is not far behind which is a credit for a guy
who stands at 196 cm. 115 games and he turns 25 in two weeks dud or
stud that is still a fair effort. At 196 cm his prime years should be 27 to 30
which is still a fair way off.

But he has been constantly handed games and he has never been dropped to the VFL for an extended period of time, remember when he dropped himself to the VFL when the demons played Hawthorn then came back the week after to play us? If he was playing for us then his weak efforts would see him out for a damn long time.

Why ...... He has a great set of hands (on a good day)
Why ..... For the games he has actually shown his talent - 4 goals v us not long ago...
Why .... Athletic given his height and runs both ways (on a good day)
Why .... Because he's only ever been at Melbourne in a s**t-very s**t team and as a result there is not a single person who can tell us what would happen if you wrapped a bunch of a-graders around him
"God
No" Should have been Jack Watts Mums response on 2008 draft night had she understood what Melbourne would do to her sons career

I get the response. I would just love to surround him with Bont, Stringer, Macrae, Crammers et al up on a half forward flank and see what he could deliver. I think we are a perfect fit for him.

He'll stay at Melbourne so it's moot :(

You need to think about it in terms of impact on games, eg. Caleb Daniel has played one more final than Jack "footsteps "Watts

Just stating facts

You need to think about it in terms of impact on games, eg. Caleb Daniel has played one more final than Jack "footsteps "Watts

Just stating facts
As Hewitt would say "dogzrule" come on, i would imagine the player list of
footballers who have played (one more final than Jack Watts) would be thicker
than the phone book. You might want to wait for Caleb Daniel to play 115
games before using him as an example not to mention he is 167 cm compared
to Watts 196 cm (tall players take longer).

As Hewitt would say "dogzrule" come on, i would imagine the player list of
footballers who have played (one more final than Jack Watts) would be thicker
than the phone book. You might want to wait for Caleb Daniel to play 115
games before using him as an example not to mention he is 167 cm compared
to Watts 196 cm (tall players take longer).

Im pretty confident on the outcome of that one

I feel he is just about our best defensive runner as well.

I heard on SEN early this morning that we are one of 11 clubs who are nearing our luxury tax and its resulted in us missing out on scouting and interviewing this years crop of AIS Academy players. Not sure how we have got to the luxury tax but pretty dissapointing on missing out on getting an edge on our opposition recruiters. I wonder if this will effect us scouting players later in the year too?
Did anyone else here this on morning glory ?

I happen to know a list manager at another club who has travelled on these things the last 5 years.
Not once do I recall the dogs have attended and I think at this stage you would agree it hasnt hurt us in that time.
Can only suggest seeing the kids for an entire year and playing in matches trumps a couple of weeks interstate

I love Macrae as a player but my post was more referring to the defensive side of things and while he has definitely improved that side of his game hugely I still probably wouldnt have him with those other guys I named, definitely getting there though.

Can see you are a big fan of libba - just watch how well he runs defensively in transition when opponents are on the spread. Thats where he got exploited at times in 2014 - he s not specifically slow but runs at the one speed giving opponents with a burst a chance to get metres on him.
Its been a while since we saw him play but it will be one thing I watch.
Thats where Marae suffered a little last year - hence being accused of running hard only one way.

I expect Libba to take a time adjusting to the tempo and nuances of footy again after such a lay off. A lot of hype on here about how good he'll be...as if he will just slot right back in. But I expect frustration along with ups and downs as he fights to get into the 'I'm on top of my game' groove again. May not happen as easily as some people think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard on SEN early this morning that we are one of 11 clubs who are nearing our luxury tax and its resulted in us missing out on scouting and interviewing this years crop of AIS Academy players. Not sure how we have got to the luxury tax but pretty dissapointing on missing out on getting an edge on our opposition recruiters. I wonder if this will effect us scouting players later in the year too?
Did anyone else here this on morning glory ?

Luxury Tax?

Im pretty confident on the outcome of that one
Jarrad Boumann 196 cm (0) games.
Tom Hill 199 cm (0) games.
Jesse Wells 195 cm (0) games.
Matthew Panos 191 cm (0) games.
Paul O'Shea 192 cm (0) games.
Lochlan Veale 192 cm (0) games.
Tim Walsh 196 cm (1) game.
Aaron James 194 cm (1) game.
James Mulligan 199 cm (3) games.
Andrew McDougal 197 cm (5) games.
Patrick Wiggins 196 cm (12) games.
Stephen Tiller 191 cm (21) games.
Luke Penny 193 cm (35) games.
Wayde Skipper 194 cm (60) games.

How about that "dogzrule" i only needed 14 former Bulldogs
to move past the magical 115 games played by the great
Jack Watts. How do you like Jack Watts now, yeah i know
he is still a little average and soft, but it is good to compare
apples with apples.;)

Went to a Melbourne V Dogs game 2 seasons ago and sat with Dees (father in law), and I felt embarrassed by how much crap Watts was getting from the Melbourne supporters. No matter what he did it was relentless. I never feel right about bagging your own players, particularly to that extent. We can bag him relentlessly however :thumbsu: :D

Jarrad Boumann 196 cm (0) games.
Tom Hill 199 cm (0) games.
Jesse Wells 195 cm (0) games.
Matthew Panos 191 cm (0) games.
Paul O'Shea 192 cm (0) games.
Lochlan Veale 192 cm (0) games.
Tim Walsh 196 cm (1) game.
Aaron James 194 cm (1) game.
James Mulligan 199 cm (3) games.
Andrew McDougal 197 cm (5) games.
Patrick Wiggins 196 cm (12) games.
Stephen Tiller 191 cm (21) games.
Luke Penny 193 cm (35) games.
Wayde Skipper 194 cm (60) games.

How about that "dogzrule" i only needed 14 former Bulldogs
to move past the magical 115 games played by the great
Jack Watts. How do you like Jack Watts now, yeah i know
he is still a little average and soft, but it is good to compare
apples with apples.;)

How many of those would have gotten games in a Melbourne team across the last decade? You're not exactly comparing apples with apples.

How many of those would have gotten games in a Melbourne team across the last decade? You're not exactly comparing apples with apples.
The apples may have fallen from the tree and have been rotting on the
ground for a month, but they are still apples. Easy tiger it's just a piss
take. Daniel Cross proved it's pretty tough to break into the Demons
line up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back