Mega Thread Trade and List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should really not read some of these rumors going around otherwise I'll laugh myself to death.

Sydney have no cap apparently....

#CocaCola
The irony is despite COLA they're actually really strained with the salary cap. Signing Buddy would do that to anyone I suppose, and in any case the 9,8% bonus is around 600-700k in their salary cap, less than Buddy.

Might be a bit unpopular but if anyone from the senior list was to be dropped to the rookie list it should be Prudden rather than Pearce.
In fact Prudden should have been on the rookie list to start with, there was no danger of anyone else taking him, he wasn't on anyone elses radar. 4 or 5 VFL games only in 2 years must put him on thin ice.
I do rate the kid by the way, its just that he cannot get on the park, and if he can't do that he is, unfortunately, a list clogger. (albeit one with potential)

I should really not read some of these rumors going around otherwise I'll laugh myself to death.

Sydney have no cap apparently....

#CocaCola
You create space when you let go guys like tom Mitchell and Sam Reid who are contracted on big cash. Ballsy list management from Sydney again.

Here's the new wrinkle in player market created by free agency. Good clubs will sign good young players to loooooong deals, so they have the ability to trade them under their own terms (ie they're contracted so if the trade isn't to their liking, they just retain them) rather than be held to ransome by a free agent or a younger player off-contract that's adamant about a move (crameri). Sydney always ahead of the curve.

I'm really starting to believe Sam Reid will be on our list next season, and for the right price, i'm pretty happy with that. If we can land Reid and get one of Wright or McCartin in the draft (and possible Foster / Mckenzie later on) I think our KPF woes could be over.

Look at Port, they just have a discarded Jay Schulz (who has turned into a solid forward yes) as their focal point and main tall up forward. Geelong had Mooney for a long time etc, it's more about getting your midfield A grade and absolutely clicking and you can challenge. If we can land Wright and get Reid by trade, our targets for the future would be Reid, Wright, Crameri, Stringer with guys like Hunter, Dahl, Honey, Bonti etc at their feet. That fwd line definitely has enough firepower and could compete for a premiership with the right mix for the rest of the team.

One thing you have to remember is guys like Crameri and Stringer as 3rd + 4th talls / targets are going to be so dangerous and will actually give us an advantage over most other teams in the comp. Going from #1 and #2 targets to #3 and #4 will be huge.

I'm really starting to believe Sam Reid will be on our list next season, and for the right price, i'm pretty happy with that. If we can land Reid and get one of Wright or McCartin in the draft (and possible Foster / Mckenzie later on) I think our KPF woes could be over.

Look at Port, they just have a discarded Jay Schulz (who has turned into a solid forward yes) as their focal point and main tall up forward. Geelong had Mooney for a long time etc, it's more about getting your midfield A grade and absolutely clicking and you can challenge. If we can land Wright and get Reid by trade, our targets for the future would be Reid, Wright, Crameri, Stringer with guys like Hunter, Dahl, Honey, Bonti etc at their feet. That fwd line definitely has enough firepower and could compete for a premiership with the right mix for the rest of the team.

One thing you have to remember is guys like Crameri and Stringer as 3rd + 4th talls / targets are going to be so dangerous and will actually give us an advantage over most other teams in the comp. Going from #1 and #2 targets to #3 and #4 will be huge.
If we get Reid and Wright then Jones could come in and it could be a case of one of them relishing the fact that they'll get the 3rd tall.

Wright is not ready for AFL. Maybe 1.5 years away. People need to plan for that, and not expect too much. He needs muscle to stand up to the punishment he will cop.
Redpath is more ready for FF next year than wright.

If it is true that Freo are in for Reid, I can see them giving up their first rounder for him and trumping anything we could sanely give them.
if they don't get Fraw, i can see them doing that.

And yet our depth players defeated Hawthorn's depth players in the Grand Final.
You think Hawthorn were really concerned? They prepare players to win AFL finals and to step in and do a role in the seniors.
I'm sure they would prefer to win the VFL but I doubt it is high up on the radar for them. They showed their hand with Cyril sitting the last quarter on the bench while they had injured players, and they rested McEvoy and Sewell. Not forgetting the string of injured players they have.
Bigger fish to fry at Glenferrie, for them it is purely developmental.

Aside from goodes due to age
The listings and delistings select themselves

Can they play at afl level?
If not are they on a steady improvement graph?

Jong and redpath plot a solid graph upwards
Grant , jones have had multiple quality afl games
Austin has shown steady improvement
JJ has had some quality afl games
Tutt has improved a little

Howard and young have gone nowhere
Young plays the occasional good game but his clAngers are arguably the worst in the league
Cordy is such a hard call, if he was not tall gonski
Greenwood has had a solid fair go at it but the graph is flattish without too many weapons gonski

For mine -minim delist
Gia, Williams, Howard, young, goodes, greenwood

That is 5 off the main list and greenwood off the rooky list

I have had minimum hope for big red but he has come from a long way back and is real quality at vfl level with hurt factor and presence. He is at the edge. Needs only a little more improvement to become a genuine afl option - is quick in a straight line is super strong. I suggest he spend the off season chasing chickens like in rocky 2 to improve his agility and turning circle. Might be an idea to get a few chickens and get minson involved too
Is there an AFL rule where there has to be a certain amount of changes to a list every year? I thought there was but not sure of the number.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it is true that Freo are in for Reid, I can see them giving up their first rounder for him and trumping anything we could sanely give them.
I can also see Reid saying "errrr, I'm contracted in Sydney. I'm happy to go home to Victoria, but I'd rather stay in Sydney than move to Perth. Trade me to the dogs or I'll stay here where I'm comfy thank you very much."

You think Hawthorn were really concerned? They prepare players to win AFL finals and to step in and do a role in the seniors.
I'm sure they would prefer to win the VFL but I doubt it is high up on the radar for them. They showed their hand with Cyril sitting the last quarter on the bench while they had injured players, and they rested McEvoy and Sewell. Not forgetting the string of injured players they have.
Bigger fish to fry at Glenferrie, for them it is purely developmental.

I don't know what your point is. Have a look at the post I was responding to. Your post has nothing to do with that issue.

Is there an AFL rule where there has to be a certain amount of changes to a list every year? I thought there was but not sure of the number.
You have to take 3 draft selections, so you have to have a minimum of three list spots open for the draft.

I think it is 2 players must be drafted minimum (obviously more with delistings/retirements)

Off
  • Gia
  • Williams
  • Young
  • Pierce
  • Fuller
  • Higgins-Trade ..:) Pick 27
  • Tutt-Trade
  • Grant-Trade
On
  • Pick 6
  • Pick 26
  • pick 27
  • pick 43
  • pick 62
  • pick 80-Redpath
  • Pick 98-Jong
Rookie
Pierce
Fogarty
....Ruck
....Another Dalhouse

Must keep Jones unless we can trade up picks to get Wright.

Fuller is contracted for another year so I reckon he will stay.

Do you think both Howard & Goodes will be retained? I doubt it.

No arguments regarding both Pearce & Young going though.

You are not going to get more than a pie & chips for either of Grant or Tutt via a trade.

You have to take 3 draft selections, so you have to have a minimum of three list spots open for the draft.
Clubs find ways of getting around that, though.

IIRC, Hawthorn delisted Osborne and redrafted him a month later.

Jong's elevation counts as one. We would only need to make one selection in the draft should we also upgrade Redpath.

I doubt we don't have 3 draftees. It's actually only 1, with Jong being promoted and Cordy as a F/S.

Higgins going, Gia gone, Williams gone, Goodes gone, Howard gone, Austin? Maybe staying as insurance, Young.. must be thanked for his services, and ushered out the door ASAP. Minson to be shopped about. Freo willing to agree to a deal which will see Suban a dog, will want Jones, dogs will offer Grant

Jong's elevation counts as one. We would only need to make one selection in the draft should we also upgrade Redpath.
We'll use our first and second rounders, I'd imagine, and with any luck we'll be able to get Zaine Cordy with a third. Can see us activating quite a few picks this year.
I doubt we don't have 3 draftees. It's actually only 1, with Jong being promoted and Cordy as a F/S.
Oh, I certainly wasn't suggesting we do that, just making mention of it.

Ideally for me, we use our first and second rounders, grab Zaine with the third, Foster with the fourth if we're interested, and upgrade Jong. Maybe Redpath, too.

Wright, Menadue (will bolt, in all likelihood), Cordy, Foster, Jong (upgrade). I'd be happy with that.

I want to upgrade Redpath, I really do, but provided we don't lose him, I'd want to rookie him for just one more year. He's worth persisting with, but I'd like to do other things with this draft.

Higgins going, Gia gone, Williams gone, Goodes gone, Howard gone, Austin? Maybe staying as insurance, Young.. must be thanked for his services, and ushered out the door ASAP. Minson to be shopped about. Freo willing to agree to a deal which will see Suban a dog, will want Jones, dogs will offer Grant
Jones for suban is noooooo good for us. Jones worth way more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back