Mega Thread Trade/Draft SuperMegaUltraThread - 2015 trade period edition

Remove this Banner Ad

This may go against the grain, but I would actually be happy to hold onto our picks.

Really like Oliver, Gresham and Hibberd.

Oliver or Hibberd, may be at our first, Gresham at second.

I'd certainly rather go to the draft than pay overs for contracted players. Jetta is a real opportunity to bend the Swans over, but I wouldnt want to get spanked in a trade deal for Redden and Anderson.

Hopefully Vozzo can pull off some magic.

The way I see it happening is:

We will be paying overs for Anderson if we want him. Redden will be a tough sell to Brisbane for our first rounder but Brisbane have said themselves they want to get in players who don't want to leave. To do this they need picks and a first rounder is nothing to be sneezed at. Apparently Sinclair has got a massive offer from Sydney so a straight swap is fair.

We need to be careful with language. The fact that Sydney have made a huge offer to Sinclair because Pyke has retired is irrelevant to WC. We need to be fair to our best interests, not an individual player or another club.

This may go against the grain, but I would actually be happy to hold onto our picks.

Keen to hold on to our first pick. The rest are expendable. Gresham won't be there at our second.

What would be the point though? Realistically how much game time would these kids see while our premiership window is open? It was an anomaly that Lamb, Duggan and Nelson all got games this year and come the GF none were in the team.

The recruiters know we need to add some mature players in to the mix and not kids. You pick up kids if you're rebuilding, we're not.

Do we think Anderson is the player the club was alluding to when they said there were other targets, or do we think there is more to come? I am really looking forward to this trade period.

At his age, Anderson offers way too much to let slide, assuming we can get him for a reasonable price. If Simmo prefers him over some of our existing forward/mids, I don't think too many of us would be in a position to dispute that, given that only 12 months ago half the board wanted to overhaul the midfield.

I am interested in what the club might be planning if we trade out of the first and second rounds in the draft. Who will be there for our third-fifth round picks that we are interested in, or do we upgrade one or both of Lucas and Newman? Seems unlikely given the proposed trades.

Potential picks in third plus rounds could be Matera F/S, Daniel Rioli, Oleg Markov and Yestin Eades, but it is debatable who would be available in the mid 50's and beyond. Any draft watchers have thoughts on who would be of interest and potentially available?

I personally wouldn't mind having at least one first or second round pick, but can't really see how it would be done. Maybe trade out Brown which I would not mind if we had a potential mature age back in mind to recruit or even if we thought we could get Keiran Collins in the draft (would need a decent pick to achieve this).

Anyway, sorry for the long post, so many thoughts and unanswered questions. Looking forward to see what the clubs plans are.

I don't see us being able to get all 3 of them, can't give up all our draft picks, and certainly don't want to lose any picks from next year, plus some of the clubs will be asking for more than we've got potentially. We can't pick up every player that shows interest in coming here, just those who will come straight into the 22 and actually improve our side. Freo are in a similar situation with trying to get both Bennell and McCarthy, but I have no issue with them having no decent draft picks next year, although both are considerably better prospects than our targets.
Totally agree with this
I'm jealous of Geelong (as their targets are Free Agents!)
Wish our targets also happened to be free agents ....

I'm not.

Look at all the teams around us. They are looking towards mature bodies and ready made players.

Are we going to bring in a bunch of 17-18 year olds and expect to continue to be contenders?

Our window is now not in 3 years time. We have multiple players in our best 22 that can be upgraded significantly and we should seize that opportunity.

What would be the point though? Realistically how much game time would these kids see while our premiership window is open? It was an anomaly that Lamb, Duggan and Nelson all got games this year and come the GF none were in the team.

The recruiters know we need to add some mature players in to the mix and not kids. You pick up kids if you're rebuilding, we're not.
I'm not.

Look at all the teams around us. They are looking towards mature bodies and ready made players.

Are we going to bring in a bunch of 17-18 year olds and expect to continue to be contenders?

Our window is now not in 3 years time. We have multiple players in our best 22 that can be upgraded significantly and we should seize that opportunity.
And how many will succeed because of it, or fail later?

Few teams have a positive track record with trading for role players. In fact can't think of any of late.

Hawthorn trade top picks or use FA for high level recruits. Neither Jetta nor Redden is that. At best they are competent role players, at worst complete busts.

Using our first pick on talent, and there will be genuine talent available, doesn't worry me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And how many will succeed because of it, or fail later?

Few teams have a positive track record with trading for role players. In fact can't think of any of late.

Hawthorn trade top picks or use FA for high level recruits. Neither Jetta nor Redden is that. At best they are competent role players, at worst complete busts.

Using our first pick on talent, and there will be genuine talent available, doesn't worry me.

What do you define as positive track record? Norths topping up going them into a prelim as did Freo's.

You can bet Richmond and Collingwood will be looking for the similar results (Yarran and Treloar). Both Port and Bulldogs have plenty of natural improvement left in them.

The fact is WC just isn't good enough to be 50/50 on this. Next year is going to be incredibly competitive. Every other contender is stocking up if we are serious about contending for the flag next year then we need to stock up too.

We should definitely have a crack at Jed Anderson before Jetta. The kids young and hungry to play league footy. He would fit in our group perfectly. Jetta is too casual for my liking and doesnt reflect the way we play footy.

You'd think it would be impossible if we get all of Jetta, Redden and Anderson.

Depends on what we get for Selwood compo and if we are willing to trade Sinkers. IF we get a first for Selwood it would be relatively easy, our first to Brisbane for Redden, Sinkers to Sydney for Jetta and a third/second, our second and a third rounder for Anderson.

For instance.

What do you define as positive track record? Norths topping up going them into a prelim as did Freo's.

You can bet Richmond and Collingwood will be looking for the similar results (Yarran and Treloar). Both Port and Bulldogs have plenty of natural improvement left in them.

The fact is WC just isn't good enough to be 50/50 on this. Next year is going to be incredibly competitive. Every other contender is stocking up if we are serious about contending for the flag next year then we need to stock up too.
In what way did Freo get into a pre-lim via topping up?

North is the only example.

Treloar isn't topping up either, they are trading for a star young player.

I've liked the look of Mitch Hibberd, but I have a feeling that this might be the first year in ages where we don't draft any halfback flankers. But you never know, some things become so ingrained in routine that it's hard not to do them.
People complained about Duggan.

Hibberd is a great kick, good size, runs well, think KK. Could be undervalued due to his last couple of years with injury.

I would take Anderson before Jetta too. He has time to grow with us. If we get Jetta in a good deal though, I won't be upset

To those who are worrying about our premiership window. Realistically it should be open for the next 3 years minimum due to the age of our list. No need to do a North and top up with players just because our premiership window is open. Identify the weaknesses and fix them. Whether that is through trade, drafting or development is neither here nor there.

Depends on what we get for Selwood compo and if we are willing to trade Sinkers. IF we get a first for Selwood it would be relatively easy, our first to Brisbane for Redden, Sinkers to Sydney for Jetta and a third/second, our second and a third rounder for Anderson.

For instance.
Will only get a second rounder at most unfortunately.

In what way did Freo get into a pre-lim via topping up?

North is the only example.

Treloar isn't topping up either, they are trading for a star young player.

But he is ready made isn't he? He is not some skinny kid.

We can make clear upgrades.

Jetta replaces Rosa. Better pace and skills. Balances Gaff on the other wing while being an offensive threat that can draw a tag and lower the pressure on Gaff and Shuey.

Redden replaces Masten. Masten still has no set role in this team despite being 26 (27 for next season). Redden's role is clear. Big bodied mid who wins clearances (taking more pressure off our outside runners) and is 2 years younger then Masten.

Duggan is for Hutchings. Duggan is a similar size but has much better skills and decision making and is 5 years younger.

You won't find any equivalents in the draft that will do this within the next 2-3 years. All three changes make our midfield better AND younger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back