List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do we have to pick up Tarrant as a free agent though?
He doesn’t have a contract so we can sign him after the trade/draft period.
We have done that with Mansell, Stack ect.
To be eligible for the Pre Season Supplemental Period you have to have nominated for the draft and been overlooked in both.

I reckon there's a couple of clubs that would pick him up in the rookie draft before we get the chance to use the PSSP.

To be eligible for the Pre Season Supplemental Period you have to have nominated for the draft and been overlooked in both.

I reckon there's a couple of clubs that would pick him up in the rookie draft before we get the chance to use the PSSP.
Plus north did offer him a contract so I’m unsure if that also becomes a factor in his eligibility

I’ll be upset if we can’t trade up and get Ward.

Our biggest issue is the midfield but I reckon we’re one gun midfielder away from being all set again.

Pick 7 (9 basically) may only bet us a pretty good player, but I’d love a genuine gun which we haven’t had in ages, and one that’s ready made. If we don’t get in a ready made midfielder then we’re stuck a bit, I feel.

Maybe the club is banking on our return to fitness plus internal improvements from guys like Ross, RCD and Dow to lift us up again. I don’t mind it, but just not sure it’ll happen. Yes a draft pick is speculative but pick 3 (5) is very likely to be a gun footballer and we badly need a guy like Ward.

Last edited:
OK. I'm trying to take all emotion out of this and look as rationally as possible:
Gold Coast were our main competitor for Bulldog's pick 17.
I was actually hoping that they would concentrate on Collingwood and leave the Bulldogs for us, but had underestimated what ******* idiots Collingwood are.
I didn't think they would offer their whole 2022 draft hand for points.
Anyway, it's done.

We are still in the box seat to deal with the Bulldogs - picks 28, 42, 47 worth 1388 points for their 1025 points. I'm leaving the compo pick out of this as unsure whether it can be traded until all free agency is completed - particularly Tarrant.
The risks now are that the nutters at Collingwood may now look at offering a package so that they have less picks to take to the draft. It would be crazy to sell the farm for all those points, then lose points by packaging them to the Bulldogs, but, hey, Collingwood...????

Depending on what Geelong get for Jordan Clark, they may also be in contention.
If they get a pick in the 20s, then they could afford to package 30, 32, 55 for pick 17 - still leaving them with pick 17, Clarke pick, 34 - that's 1420 points on offer.
Depends on how many picks they plan on using as to whether this is a strategy they would employ.

Callum Coleman-Jones. Unfortunately we were never going to get full value for him. Pick 38 (now 40) with Tarrant thrown in as a compo-protecting sweetener (given that he won't give North any compo anyway - so costs them absolutely nothing to include him) was always about the best we were likely to get. If they make it their 2022 third rounder instead that is pretty much the same given I don't expect them to climb too far up the ladder.
Problem being is that North can decide not to deal for either of them and it makes basically no difference to them, but does to us.
I'd hold out for the deal above. They start by wanting an extra round 4 pick from us - we ask for a pick upgrade from them included - hopefully it settles.
Then means we could substitute pick 38 for 47 in our offer to the Dogs, adding 150 extra points if we need to outbid Geelong.

Picks 7, 15, 17, 26, 47. North's early third rounder( 2021 or 2022?), Tarrant, full 2022 draft hand.

I’ll be upset if we can’t trade up and get Ward.

Our biggest issue is the midfield but I reckon we’re one fun midfielder away from being all set again.

Pick 7 (9 basically) may only bet us a pretty good player, but I’d love a genuine gun which we haven’t had in ages, and one that’s ready made. If we don’t get in a ready made midfielder then we’re stuck a bit, I feel.

Maybe the club is banking on our return to fitness plus internal improvements from guys like Ross, RCD and Dow to lift us up again. I don’t mind it, but just not sure it’ll happen. Yes a draft pick is speculative but pick 3 (5) is very likely to be a gun footballer and we badly need a guy like Ward.
Agree.
Don't sell the farm but as the buyer looking to upgrade we need to pay overs. We have a surplus of picks so we should be able to be quite creative to get a deal done to grab a Top 5 pick, only if other teams are willing to trade.

Ward would be the perfect addition to our needs.

Just let him walk to the PSD if we don’t get any compo better than whatNorth have offered. North lose pick 1 in PSD and I agree he’s a dud. Look on the bright side we’re gaining a list spot.
PSD doesn’t really get used anymore since teams can sign players all the way up to March now.

OK. I'm trying to take all emotion out of this and look as rationally as possible:
Gold Coast were our main competitor for Bulldog's pick 17.
I was actually hoping that they would concentrate on Collingwood and leave the Bulldogs for us, but had underestimated what ******* idiots Collingwood are.
I didn't think they would offer their whole 2022 draft hand for points.
Anyway, it's done.

We are still in the box seat to deal with the Bulldogs - picks 28, 42, 47 worth 1388 points for their 1025 points. I'm leaving the compo pick out of this as unsure whether it can be traded until all free agency is completed - particularly Tarrant.
The risks now are that the nutters at Collingwood may now look at offering a package so that they have less picks to take to the draft. It would be crazy to sell the farm for all those points, then lose points by packaging them to the Bulldogs, but, hey, Collingwood...????

Depending on what Geelong get for Jordan Clark, they may also be in contention.
If they get a pick in the 20s, then they could afford to package 30, 32, 55 for pick 17 - still leaving them with pick 17, Clarke pick, 34 - that's 1420 points on offer.
Depends on how many picks they plan on using as to whether this is a strategy they would employ.

Callum Coleman-Jones. Unfortunately we were never going to get full value for him. Pick 38 (now 40) with Tarrant thrown in as a compo-protecting sweetener (given that he won't give North any compo anyway - so costs them absolutely nothing to include him) was always about the best we were likely to get. If they make it their 2022 third rounder instead that is pretty much the same given I don't expect them to climb too far up the ladder.
Problem being is that North can decide not to deal for either of them and it makes basically no difference to them, but does to us.
I'd hold out for the deal above. They start by wanting an extra round 4 pick from us - we ask for a pick upgrade from them included - hopefully it settles.
Then means we could substitute pick 38 for 47 in our offer to the Dogs, adding 150 extra points if we need to outbid Geelong.

Picks 7, 15, 17, 26, 47. North's early third rounder( 2021 or 2022?), Tarrant, full 2022 draft hand.
I like your thinking but we have to be careful in what we give away. Most draft pundits are saying that it's a very even draft from 6-30 meaning that we have a good chance of picking up a good player with our 2nd round picks.

I'd like to see the club trade 40-42-47 for what will be pick 18, it still gives the Dogs an extra 200pts and if push comes to shove then 38 for their future 2nd. Would leave us with:

7-15-18-26-28 and the Dogs F2

Doggies would have 1600+pts to deal with a bid at pick 3 leaving them 200pts shy which could be made up with their trades of Lipinski, Young and maybe Wallis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree the points are similar (pick 22 is worth 50 or so less if I remember correctly but the Pies don't really need more points and can lose a few points although they would lose some lower draft picks) but pick 22 is worth a lot more because of the player it gets you(and I think a lot of clubs would be interested). The tigers future 3rd a pick about 50 would not quite be enough. I think a future second a pick about 30 would be a little to high. So I think it might take a future 3rd going back the way of the tigers. Maybe a pick about 45. Feel free to change it up some more what do you think?

I am a little confused. What would you want for 22 with your adjustment?

We should swap Caddy for Tarrant and get North to take his contract. Then take McPherson and pick 19 off GC.

north want the pick not Caddy haha.

Nice try though. I’d be surprised if we can move Caddy on. Think we might be stuck with him for his final year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back