List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Karen does not rate us as according to him if 5 of our top 10 go down next year. Like no s**t. I just highlighted if that happens to any side that would happen. He had a crack at prestia being "always injured" last year. I just highlighted he played 19 games.

Lloyd acting like we have no depth compared to the cats. I showed him the error of his ways.

I was getting angry listening then I heard that micro voice come to our defence and I felt at ease.

Different players completely
For Richmond i take Hopper

100% agree - Cerra has gone up in my estimations since he arrived at the Blooze and came back from injury - think he'll work in well with their mids as an outside receiving mid.

He'd kick 40+ goals here with his athletic ability on the lead and our midfield service.

Plus we have no tall forward options beyond Lynch and a semi retired Jack. Not sure what our plan is there
Please. He's played AFL for 7 years and averages 1 goal a game and never kicked 20 goals in a season. Even when he played for a dominant Demons side.

List clogger.

Also to add, we don’t even know that it’s GWS holding out! Could very well be the tiges pushing for better picks 🙄

I'd risk taking Pick 31 to Brisbane and see how it could split

Ess lands the final piece of the premiership puzzle.. Will Setterfield

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jackson has been hyped in my view. Been protected by playing behind Gawn, and will also be the case with Darcy. Not sure about the plans to make him a midfielder

I would, think more like Blicavs

I'm completely weirded out by these Hopper discussions. I just dont get it. Hopper is contracted - l get it. But so is Haynes and Whitfield. So why are we needing to pay absolute top dollar, but Haynes and Whitfield are salary dumps - that potentially, at the last minute of trade period some club may pick them up on the cheap (or l dare say get a Geelong/Bowes type deal)?

As it stands, it looks like we have acted with the best of intentions in any trade this year by offering 12 & 19 for just one player. Nothing in return. This will beat any of the following deals:

• Rankine - Pick 5, but something will be coming back to Adelaide
  • Jackson - our 12&19 will on the surface beat anything Freo currently offering
  • Dunkley - brisbane cant give 2 first even if they tried.
Our best strategy from here is wait until the very last minute, because if they genuinely need to free up cap space then they would have factored in Hopper money leaving the balance sheet. Our only competition for Hopper was Geelong and they'll have no chance of fitting him in now, so Hopper staying at GWS is unlikely to work for them now either and he'll have no other time to explore moving elsewhere (even if he was open to it).

I just dont get why we're paying 'overs' again to a club that needs to dump. Future first and 30 is too ******* much. GWS dont owe us anything, but we are helping their TPP. If a trade doesnt happen, they're in a world of trouble and we just go again next year.
Well said. Unfortunately a lot of people simply don't understand this and are just hungry for deals..

Too smart for bigfooty.

He'd kick 40+ goals here with his athletic ability on the lead and our midfield service.

Plus we have no tall forward options beyond Lynch and a semi retired Jack. Not sure what the plan is there
Lots of posters were saying there was no plan last year when we didn’t draft an inside mid. Have faith the team have a plan lined up for our forwards next

Dags has answered your post here with the right answer.

You are thinking only in terms of the deal, and winning or losing the deal in relation to the other club. The main reason we are involved with these Taranto and Hopper deals is our good reputation and intent is clear for all to see.

1. GWS says to certain player managers with good currency we are struggling with our cap, you are free to go and seek opportunities at other clubs as we cannot pay you what you are worth. We need a decent return though.

2. Managers speak the players to guage which sort of clubs may appeal.

3. Managers then speak to a range of clubs to gauge the market, perhaps avoiding or relegating clubs thast are notoriously tricky in these situations. Richmond says yes we want your man, we can offer x money and y draft picks.

4. Managers have a quick scan of the market and realise Richmond can satisfy both the player and GWS, and they can agree on the finer details and all switch focus to other important areas. The players are off the market. This is a key and under-rated element to any deal. With every dollar or draft pick you try to save you move incrementally towards missing out on the player. Sure, we are paying a good price in salary and picks, but we have more or less secured the players, two desperately needed young prime-aged quality inside mids.

If Richmond had a reputation for trying funny tricks to win deals, there is every chance we don’t get either one or both of Taranto and Hopper to nominate our club in the first place. You can engage in brinkmanship and try to squeeze every last drop from this deal, but if another club is more accommodating to deal with, they will get priority at all of the above stages in the process in future. That is not worth it for the sake of saving a few hundred draft points.

I hear you, but you're talking as though its the only draw card. He narrowed his search to 2 clubs... and l can guarantee you that his starting point for choosing Geelong or Richmond was not "hey manager, find me the clubs that's easiest to deal with".

Ess lands the final piece of the premiership puzzle.. Will Setterfield
Certainly in their weekly premiership window.......

200w.gif

I'm completely weirded out by these Hopper discussions. I just dont get it. Hopper is contracted - l get it. But so is Haynes and Whitfield. So why are we needing to pay absolute top dollar, but Haynes and Whitfield are salary dumps - that potentially, at the last minute of trade period some club may pick them up on the cheap (or l dare say get a Geelong/Bowes type deal)?

As it stands, it looks like we have acted with the best of intentions in any trade this year by offering 12 & 19 for just one player. Nothing in return. This will beat any of the following deals:

• Rankine - Pick 5, but something will be coming back to Adelaide
  • Jackson - our 12&19 will on the surface beat anything Freo currently offering
  • Dunkley - brisbane cant give 2 first even if they tried.
Our best strategy from here is wait until the very last minute, because if they genuinely need to free up cap space then they would have factored in Hopper money leaving the balance sheet. Our only competition for Hopper was Geelong and they'll have no chance of fitting him in now, so Hopper staying at GWS is unlikely to work for them now either and he'll have no other time to explore moving elsewhere (even if he was open to it).

I just dont get why we're paying 'overs' again to a club that needs to dump. Future first and 30 is too ******* much. GWS dont owe us anything, but we are helping their TPP. If a trade doesnt happen, they're in a world of trouble and we just go again next year.

I feel similarly, we have committed to Hopper though so as a reputable Club, which we don't just take pride in - we are reputable as our own ethos. Richmond was up front, gave ground and looked to find middle ground. Negotiation 101.

Unless GWS flagged using 44 for Bedford, and did this without flagging, we definitely should sit on our hands longer. We may well get better than 44 now give the circumstances that have evolved.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back