List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Bolton is the type of player that transforms your team when you're good, there's no way we should be trading him.

He is suffering badly from us having no midfield. Dermie giving him shit at 3QT last night was hilarious, saying that he's on the outside waiting for the easy ball. That's literally what makes him so good, that he offers that outside speed as a midfielder and he's off with a bounce before you can blink. Then he follows up with elite work rate for handball chains and the like. He needs Hopper/Taranto/Prestia/Ross in there feeding it to him though.

He's not an inside bull who's going to go head to head with Dunkley and it's not his job.

I hope you are right but the 2021 pies team still had players that made GF and prelims in it a few years ago. Heaps of stars. We have don’t any much at all.
Think it’s comparable especially when we return of the original point of our exchange that I disagreed with you with

In regards to Dan Rioli he’s 27 years old and as hard as it is to say he will not be part of the next flag in fact no anybody above 25 years old will be.

I say trade anybody that we can get good value out of.

Baker
Rioli
Short
Graham

Are the only candidates really, everybody else will be worth a packet of chips. Which is not a bad thing as it means we still have plenty of decent players/good leaders at the club.

Rolli specifically is one who we categorically say is a star and if we are to have any chance of a quick rebound instead of a long wade into the wilderness we need to keep

I’m not saying I am right and you are wrong either and i understand the logic behind wanting to hit the draft hard but im not sure its the sound road to success its somtimes sold to be especially when you look at the clubs that have had access to an absolute treasure trobe of the last decade and all faced at least two clear rebuild periods in that time

Specifically Carlton, Goldcoast, GWS having 2 rebuilds and won nothing and North and the Hawks currently seemingly in the weeds

At the very least I want to see how we fair with some stability from a best 22 standpoint so we can get a better picture of where we actually sit because right now I have zero idea how good or bad we really are

Think it’s comparable especially when we return of the original point of our exchange that I disagreed with you with

Rolli specifically is one who we categorically say is a star and if we are to have any chance of a quick rebound instead of a long wade into the wilderness we need to keep

I’m not saying I am right and you are wrong either and i understand the logic behind wanting to hit the draft hard but im not sure its the sound road to success its somtimes sold to be especially when you look at the clubs that have had access to an absolute treasure trobe of the last decade and all faced at least two clear rebuild periods in that time

Specifically Carlton, Goldcoast, GWS having 2 rebuilds and won nothing and North and the Hawks currently seemingly in the weeds

At the very least I want to see how we fair with some stability from a best 22 standpoint so we can get a better picture of where we actually sit because right now I have zero idea how good or bad we really are
Yeah nah fair enough, I trust the club to make the right decision they know more than me, I’d be fine with either decision. Don’t think he will leave anyway.

Here is how I would be looking at it.

Untouchables as leaders: Baker, Taranto, Lynch, Vlastuin, Broad, D.Rioli

Those are the players I think we need to keep as leaders of the club that can guide and move the next generation through.

Hard Conversation players: Bolton, Graham, Short.

I am going back to the well on Bolton. I just don't think he will be able to hack the absolute s**t we are going to be dishing up. We would get something insane for him that would really help set us up for the future.

Graham and Short we could probably get second rounders through FA compo or just pure trades. Again if we can get those picks this year to start the stockpile we really should.

We need to be pulling in all the kids we can for the next few years from the top 30 in the drafts prior to Tasmania coming in.

SCOUTS ARE NEEDED TO FIND VALUE. We need to pick the eyes out of the COVID drafts. They say they are about 2 years behind so we need to start trying to front run and pull the unseen value where we can.

TRADING IN: We will need to trade in some experience around the 25-28 year old range. It isnt going to be sexy but we need to find some clubmen and hard workers that can help set the standards for the kids.

PEOPLE WANT TO COMPARE US TO 2010 - WE ARE AT THE STAGE OF 07.
Agree with everything except Bolton

Nank doesn’t have two years left as a crash and bang ruckman. This is the reason I was against losing big Ivan
Moyle's pretty close to being ready to go now, so if Nank breaks down we'd be covered.

Losing Soldo isn't such a big issue for us. He's 28 this year, so only a couple of years younger than Nank.

Bolton has never been a midfielder. He reads the ball off the tap/bounce better than most and gets to the right spots, he doesn’t spread and provide defensive pressure/cover like a genuine midfielder. But he does have a higher footy IQ than most so it works in stoppage plays. Atm he is playing the full-forward role which isn’t working due to taller defenders just coming over and spoiling. He has a massive role to play in our next flag tilt. Even if that is helping continue/build the culture.

We should not be trading our star quality, contracted players for a bunch of draft picks. The young fellas we bring in also need leaders to help them develop in the system and our premiership players are vital now.

Players like Short, Graham less so

Both stars of our club, though I believe we have got the best use out of them.

Short is contracted but easily replaced in the team, Graham has always been a link in the chain type player -struggles to carry the team. Both these guys should be traded

Unfortunately I can see McIntosh, Pickett’s time coming to an end - personally think both have been great role players for us over the years, but that wing position is as important as ever and we need quick, skillful and disciplined players here.

from what I believe the club was purely drafting players that could add to our dynasty teams, that’s why we have so many outsider, chain-linking HFF/BFF and on top of that, we were winning flags so it’s hard to get high end draft selections. And those players we did get didn’t get early exposure because Dimma liked his set team structure.

Add that to the trading of picks and then recruitment of Hopper/Taranto it seems as though Dimma left us in a pretty dire situation..

I see it a little different, I see it all as a little blessing in disguise to help fast track our next premiership tilt. When Cotchin, Martin, Riewoldt, Edwards and co came to the club the quality of elder players wasn’t to the quality of players we will have now Taranto, Hopper, Rioli, Bolton, Balta and co have the chance to get quality kids built around them and who knows, maybe see another flag at the twilight of their respective careers.

Our last Pick 2 selection was Trent Cotchin, and Pick 3 was Dustin Martin. Most likely have one of those selections and possibly another high selection or 2.

Don’t be fouled! The high end quality of this year’s draft is there, there is KPP’s early we can select. If we could add another top 10 selection it would be massive.

Trading Bolton is ridiculous, yes he is a flair player and he has some deficiencies but he is rated as a top 5 player in the comp by some models.

I used that same model and it told me im 24 and ripped

I used that same model and it told me im 24 and ripped
You're misinterpreting the results. It means 24 stone and ripped as in high.

Chris Farley Sudden Realization GIF

I reckon we should get Luke Parker for 2 years he would cost nothing at his age pick wise he would be handy player with our transition.
We lacking tough/leaders. this guy is hard at it player we need some players with grunt no BS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats the last thing we should be doing IMO.
If Parker has good leadership (don't know enough about him) then 2 years as a player coach wouldn't be the worst thing to have running around in the VFL and on the training track. He could also play about 5 - 10 games a year if needed.

I have watched a lot of 2010 games (2010 to 2012 are arguably my favourite eras of football even through we were shit) and one thing that really stands out is the amount of on field coaching and feedback Cousins gave to the kids.

Taranto and Hopper don't need this but it would be invaluable to McAulife and this years' draft picks to have someone that professional helping them gameday in the VFL.

Add that to the trading of picks and then recruitment of Hopper/Taranto it seems as though Dimma left us in a pretty dire situation..

The past 3 weeks has shown what life would be without TT & Hopper.

I reckon we should get Luke Parker for 2 years he would cost nothing at his age pick wise he would be handy player with our transition.
We lacking tough/leaders. this guy is hard at it player we need some players with grunt no BS.
I'd be interested if it was one of those trade deals when it's like Pick 60 for Parker and Pick 65 or something like that.

If he wants to come and play a bit of a mentor role, I think it'd be worth it.

People seem to be forgetting that at this stage we're likely to lose Dusty, Baker, Grimes at the very least on top of losing Jack and Cotch last year. Big wallop of elder statesmen/tone setters gone in one swoop.

You need some old heads to set standards or teach the kids what playing AFL football is all about. If he comes on the cheap, buys in, and isn't clogging the list up, the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Last edited:
Jon Ralph said that the suns would look to trade a first round pick plus pick 20 for a player like dan rioli, then use the other first round pick to draft a KPD as a succession plan for Sam Collins who is 29.

Unless it is two top 10 picks dan rioli stays. We will already likely have 3 top 15 picks come draft time, our pick, brisbane points exchange and then whatever happens with Baker. If graham, miller fetch high enough compo picks we could bundle some picks and move up again
I hope dimma is talking to shorty. hes one i think we can get some value from

If Parker has good leadership (don't know enough about him) then 2 years as a player coach wouldn't be the worst thing to have running around in the VFL and on the training track. He could also play about 5 - 10 games a year if needed.

I have watched a lot of 2010 games (2010 to 2012 are arguably my favourite eras of football even through we were s**t) and one thing that really stands out is the amount of on field coaching and feedback Cousins gave to the kids.

Taranto and Hopper don't need this but it would be invaluable to McAulife and this years' draft picks to have someone that professional helping them gameday in the VFL.
Not sure if he wants to be playing VFL - Looks like he tried to kill a bloke in the seconds over the weekend, was a pretty late hit too.

The past 3 weeks has shown what life would be without TT & Hopper.

Spot on … what would everyone be screaming for if TT and Hopper weren’t on our list?

They’d be going through every single midfielder in the competition to assess whether we could get them over … and the quality we’d take would be way lower than TT and Hopper. Posters here would be wanting and willing to give up picks for the likes of Jarrod Lyons, Seb Ross, Will Philips (he’s already been some about), Ben Keays, Macrae (already spoken about) …. the list goes on.

In other words, without TT and Hopper our midfield future would be horrific, and we’d be seeing games like the last fortnight for 2-3 years until some high end picks mature.

Ps. If we didn’t know TT was coming we’d likely have gotten Ben Hobbs end of 2021… massive question marks on him. And in the 2022 draft the best available big bodied midfielder at the picks we gave for TT was Allan (has played 25 odd VFL games for Pies and can’t get a game ahead of mature aged recruit O’Sullivan, so huge queries on him as well).

So yeah, thank God we’ve got some midfield reinforcements to at least make us competitive at the coal face.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back