Trade time

Remove this Banner Ad

We need to face facts here, players like Ward, Brown, Wheatley, Bizzell, Godfrey, Holland, are not going to be traded simply because they can't be. They're rubbish!!! No one else wants them.

If we are going to have a look at being serious at the trade table, then these are the names that should be thrown up:
Bruce, Green, Sylvia, Moloney, C.Johnson, Miller, Johnstone.

Now i don't really want to be trading some of these guys, but if we are going to go down that path, then that is the fact of life. Personally i would prefer keeping them, and getting what we need through the draft, younger players are better prepared these days to step straight into the seniors, so it is another solution. Trading always seems to be a quick fix, but i don't think we should go that way.

We need to face facts here, players like Ward, Brown, Wheatley, Bizzell, Godfrey, Holland, are not going to be traded simply because they can't be. They're rubbish!!! No one else wants them.

If we are going to have a look at being serious at the trade table, then these are the names that should be thrown up:

why dont we chuck in robbo, davey, mclean, carrol, and anybody else of note that carries our team?
your joking mate!!!!!!!!!!
if we are going to be a threat in 08 we need to keep alot of our core players,

What i find is a real frustrating thing at draft time. We have a week at this stage where clubs are meant to talk turkey, but in the end hardly anything happens. We had essentially Tarrant for Medhurst this year, and that's about all!

As a Geelong fan, last year we were all thinking we would trade off the likes of Gardiner, Kingsley, maybe even Kelly and S.Johnson, also maybe Playfair and Matty McCarthy. But what happens? Not a sausage unfortunately, nobody did any trades with Geelong at all. Clubs probably think their players are worth a certain level, whereas most opposing clubs would barely offer a crumb for them. So ultimately most fringe type players either stay on or just get delisted without compensation.

The only trades of note in the past few years have been Ottens to Geelong, Hay and Rawlings to the Kangaroos, (Weren't those successful!!) and last year's Tarrant to Medhurst. Unfortunately the main way to get back is to try to draft cannily and pick diamonds in the rough, like an Aaron Davey or even luck out with some father-sons like us Catters do!

if so would be a high asking price

would you take:

Brent Reilly + 2nd round pick for Davey???

My head says yes but my heart says no! Can we Scott Thompson back as well, and what about a young ruckman, Griffin or Maric would be nice, Meesen as well.

As for Moloney, Geelong can have him for a second rounder, we got stitched up there, the bloke is hard working but is slow and his skills aren't great and he is always injured.

why dont we chuck in robbo, davey, mclean, carrol, and anybody else of note that carries our team?
your joking mate!!!!!!!!!!
if we are going to be a threat in 08 we need to keep alot of our core players,

Relax, as i said i didn't really want to trade them, but face it if we want quality then we have to give quality. I would personally prefer to go through the draft, but it depends on how quick we want success.

Now i don't really want to be trading some of these guys, but if we are going to go down that path, then that is the fact of life. Personally i would prefer keeping them, and getting what we need through the draft, younger players are better prepared these days to step straight into the seniors, so it is another solution. Trading always seems to be a quick fix, but i don't think we should go that way.

There is also a notable age difference between those groups of players. The first group is generally 27-30 years old, the second group (which is also the more talented group) generally ranges from 23-27 years old.

We need to clean out that particular group and allow for our 18-22 years olds to gain more experience. It doesn't have to be a complete rebuild, but some maintenance. No reason we can't make the top four in 2008, I firmly believe that with a new coach that is within the capabilities of this playing group.

My head says yes but my heart says no! Can we Scott Thompson back as well, and what about a young ruckman, Griffin or Maric would be nice, Meesen as well.

As for Moloney, Geelong can have him for a second rounder, we got stitched up there, the bloke is hard working but is slow and his skills aren't great and he is always injured.

Too harsh on Moloney. He is still young for a footballer. Wait until he is injury-free, then the long kicking Beamer that we saw in 2005 will be back.

He is a basic footballer, but at least the basic attributes he possesses are good ones - physical, aggressive, kicks long and direct, passionate.

Imagine when Moloney is 27, McLean and Sylvia 25 and Jones 23 years old, who the hell would want to mess with those four nuts in the midfield?

*Abit too early to talk about trade at this stage. However, if trade time is now, I would trade/delist Godfrey, Wheatley, Ward, Brown, Holland, Fergusson, Carroll & Miller.

* I think it's time to develop Frawley and use him as our new full back to replace Carroll. Carroll and Miller and perhaps Fergusson are some value in the trade.

*Players like Johnstone, Bruce, Davey, Moloney etc (as mentioned) = untouchable.

Add a comment:

* If we end up 0/22 or 16th, I hope Judd will return to Victoria and play for his beloved Dee's. Furthermore, hope we can get him for free in the PSD and if that's the case, Judd will be our hero (rescue the club) and this will be as good as a win on top of the ladder.

* Imagine, Judd, Johnstone, Mclean, Sylvia, Bruce, Jones, Moloney, McDonald, Yze = Very strong midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Davey is untouchable.
Wait till alwyn is out of contract and makes the decision... hmm i'd love to go play with my older brother... BANG! half forward line reads:
HF: Davey CHF:Robbo HF: Davey
Thankyou very much,
Each team fears davey already imagine two!!!!!!!!

Add a comment:

* If we end up 0/22 or 16th, I hope Judd will return to Victoria and play for his beloved Dee's. Furthermore, hope we can get him for free in the PSD and if that's the case, Judd will be our hero (rescue the club) and this will be as good as a win on top of the ladder.

* Imagine, Judd, Johnstone, Mclean, Sylvia, Bruce, Jones, Moloney, McDonald, Yze = Very strong midfield.

imagine if jonathon brown decided he wanted to come to the dees, and pavlich and west and brad johnson and barry hall and nick reiwolt and luke ball. wow.how good would we be........i think your being slightly over positive. haha. but anyway, i like wishfull thinking and like judd even more so ill go with it.

agree with how tough the moloney jones mclean sylvia mcdonald midfield would be. its wat we need to. a bit of mongrel. and with the class of bruce,green, johnson and the TWO daveys as mentioned before it would be the best midfield/forward line in the comp on paper,just got to get it to perform. we need to start searching for a full forward. neita won be here forever.

trade time untouchables: robbo,neitz,davey,moloney,green,bruce,t johnson, bate,jones,sylvia,mclean, white,jaymar,rivers,mcdonald. nearly anyone else is expendable IF we can get someone younger or better for them,if the trade isnt gonna be any value to us then why bother.
we need to keep carroll,he is an under rated player. even if he wasnt that good we'd have to keep him purely for his mo. haha

We desperataly need a Ruckman of quality. Whitey is about at the end of his tether as a dominant ruck and PJ is a better forward pocket imo.

Young Ivan Maric (Adelaide) is an ex Vic and should be enticed as the crows dont have the need to groom him.

The Russian will not win us a premiership as a Ruckman.

We desperataly need a Ruckman of quality. Whitey is about at the end of his tether as a dominant ruck and PJ is a better forward pocket imo.

Young Ivan Maric (Adelaide) is an ex Vic and should be enticed as the crows dont have the need to groom him.

The Russian will not win us a premiership as a Ruckman.

Maric + 2nd round pick for Johnstone ??

there is no club loyalty in footy, if there is enough money being brought to the table most if not all players would jump.
i rekon thommo would be wanting a bit, its just if we have the cash or not

honestly, thommo left melbourne cos he didnt want to play for the club, what is the reasoning behind you all think he is going to go back?? :confused:

there is no club loyalty in footy, if there is enough money being brought to the table most if not all players would jump.
i rekon thommo would be wanting a bit, its just if we have the cash or not

I think there is a heap of loyalty in footy these days, especially if the club a player is at is going well. Look how many trades there have been late where the player is going for money, most have involved players going home

Maric + 2nd round pick for Johnstone ??

Green for Maric and a 3rd rounder.
I think our first draft pick should be at a big KP forward, a replacement for Neita is something we need more than anything.
master bate, what is this crap about Moloney. Did you see his first 1/4 against Geelong this year? The guy can do that for a whole game when fit, it's just he hasn't done a full preseason since 2005 (That's also his only full preseason ever).
Our midfield for the next 10 years is fine, McLean, Jones, Moloney, Sylvia, Bate, Bartram, Bruce, TJ and possibly Bell.

honestly, thommo left melbourne cos he didnt want to play for the club, what is the reasoning behind you all think he is going to go back?? :confused:

My trade suggestion was more a comment on how bad the Maric and 2nd round pick for Johnstone suggestion was. We would be getting an unproven tall, and roughly pick 30 for a gun midfielder. That is ludicrous. I used Thompson as a comparative gun midfielder...perhaps Goodwin instead.

the reason people are saying he mite come back is because his partner is from melb, they just had a baby and she wants to come home.

Why the f^@# did he ever leave then, he was becoming a gun at the dees and his career is stagnating at the boring (yet bloody successful) crows, I wish we traded him for Salopek which was rumored at the time (I do love Moloney but I'm worried about his pace, kicking accuracy and injury proneness). Did thommo leave due to family issues, i mean who would really get homesick in Melbourne when you come from Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back