Mega Thread Trades and Free Agency Talk Pt2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's played 16-17 games.

But in those games slatts he has shown he plays his team role very well and has the long term ability to be a quality defender. Injury is the only thing that has kept him out of the team. Based on how he has performed when he plays, he will be in starting 22 if fit. Irrespective of how others perform over the pre-season etc, i can't see the coaching staff overlooking him come rd 1.

But in those games slatts he has shown he plays his team role very well and has the long term ability to be a quality defender. Injury is the only thing that has kept him out of the team. Based on how he has performed when he plays, he will be in starting 22 if fit. Irrespective of how others perform over the pre-season etc, i can't see the coaching staff overlooking him come rd 1.
I'm not saying he can't play, I'm just saying there's still a fair bit unknown about him. As with any guy who's not played very much.

If he gets a full season this year, it's a different scenario but I still think there's plenty of guys who have enough ability to slot in, but are starting from a year or three behind. And same with Vickery.
Remember, at one point not so long ago it was 'how the heck could Grimes & Rance ever go past McGuane and Thursfield'. Things change, rapidly.

I'm not saying he can't play, I'm just saying there's still a fair bit unknown about him. As with any guy who's not played very much.

If he gets a full season this year, it's a different scenario but I still think there's plenty of guys who have enough ability to slot in, but are starting from a year or three behind. And same with Vickery.
Remember, at one point not so long ago it was 'how the heck could Grimes & Rance ever go past McGuane and Thursfield'. Things change, rapidly.

6c6.jpg

So your whole point is, things change.

That's some astute observation brah. Doesn't mean things aren't the way they are now though, and we have no reason to believe that it will change in the future, yet.

I'm not sure TBH why you felt in necessary to point that out?

Have I missed something?

Aside from the 'finals' team comment, I wouldn't say Richmond's tall line-up is set in stone.

OTOH, Post Grimes Vickery Reiwoldt Miller McGuane Elton Griffiths Astbury & Rance played last year. Bar McGuane, none would be ruled out of contention yet. Obviously Reiwoldt & Rance would be pretty close to set in stone and you'd think Chaplin too, but I'd think the others are very much up for debate.
You're wrong. Post is behind everyone else, including McGuane. Why do you think he didn't play between rounds 1 and 17?

There is no way known that you Bummers fans gave Heppell, Hurley, Ryder, even freakin Alwyn Davey and JETTA as many as 16-17 games before anointing them superstars of the competition, not just your team.. yet we can't say that Grimes forms part of our structure going forward?

Grimes was a rising star nom this year, and favored to go close to winning the thing before he hurt himself. Daniel Talia had played 9 games for the Crows going into this season, go and find me a crows supporter who didn't have him in their best 22 by the mid point of the season.

Your wrong. Post is behind everyone else, including McGuane. Why do you think he didn't play between rounds 1 and 17?
Post got himself fit, got a running coach, had a good preseason in the gym and played round 1. He was horrific, dropped a couple of embarrassing marks deep in defence and was caught with the ball 15m out in a manner that had most of us screaming in despair.
His papers were stamped then.
Good luck, Jayden, but he is cooked at Tigerland.

Also worth pointing out that McGun and Thursty or any other player for that matter pre 2011 didn't have the facilities and processes we now have in place. More faith in the RFC than any other period in the last well my whole life.

Who are you guys playing this week? Match-ups come into it as well.
Match-ups for Vickery are for the opposition to worry about. 200cm mobile physical types are a nightmare for coaches. And if you don't think Grimes is one of the first picked whenever fit, best you stop embarrassing yourself.

Pears,Carlisle,Gumbleton,Hurley,Hooker,Myers,Ryder - Grimes,Rance,Astbury,Riewoldt,Elton,Griffiths,Vickery
This is how i would rate them Today - I havnt included Post as he's probably gone and no suitable comparative player.

1.Riewoldt
2.Hurley
3.Grimes
4.Rance
5.Ryder
6.Vickery
7/8.Griffiths-Carlisle
9/10.Astbury-Gumbleton
11.Myers
12.Elton
13.Hooker
14.Pears

So your whole point is, things change.
I was responding to "they are all set in stone" or something like that. Miles out of context now.

There is no way known that you Bummers fans gave Heppell, Hurley, Ryder, even freakin Alwyn Davey and JETTA as many as 16-17 games before anointing them superstars of the competition, not just your team.. yet we can't say that Grimes forms part of our structure going forward?

Grimes was a rising star nom this year, and favored to go close to winning the thing before he hurt himself. Daniel Talia had played 9 games for the Crows going into this season, go and find me a crows supporter who didn't have him in their best 22 by the mid point of the season.
Let's not pretend any one club is better than another on this front on the page after a 17 gamer was talked up as "our Scarlett/Fletcher". All clubs' fans are as bad as each other on that front.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn't see where you guys are discussing the compensation pick.

It was raised on Trade Radio, and no-one had an answer.

You guys activated the pick (received in some sort of pick trade with GC that related to Nathan Krakouer?) in the pre-season.

This was to be immediately after Port's second round pick.

Why has Port's FA picks (for Pearce and Chaplin) leap-frogged your pick?

Let's not pretend any one club is better than another on this front on the page after a 17 gamer was talked up as "our Scarlett/Fletcher". All clubs' fans are as bad as each other on that front.

Let's not pretend. We like to pump up our own, sure, but in my experience you tend to find that Essendon fans take the cake when it comes to talking up their players, coaches, development staff, facilities, etc.

What does Grimes have to do with FA/trading anyway? Last I checked he's not a FA, and we sure as sht aren't going to trade him, not when after 17 games anyone with a modicum of football knowledge can see he's going to be a top-class backman.

Hard to put a value on Grimes. Doesn't matter if he has all the attributes in the world, if he can't get onto the Park because of injury issues. I rate him very highly, even with the limited games he has had, even with his build the way it is ATM. I'd say he needs to get his body right within a 2 years, otherwise and in and out existance would be too disruptive for the team.

You guys activated the pick (received in some sort of pick trade with GC that related to Nathan Krakouer?) in the pre-season.

We don't know. It has been mentioned, and sucks, but it is what it is...

Good question Squizzy! Seems to me the AFL really looked after Port with the free agent compensation picks, even to the point of putting them in before the existing compensation pick which by definition was to be taken "immediately following" their existing second round pick.

Frustratingly, it's nothing new for the AFL to make up the rules on the fly to suit their own agendas.

Very good question. Nobody knows! The only explanation I can think of is that the AFL is run by nuffies. I wouldn't be against Richmond filing a 'please explain' with the AFL for this.

We don't know. It has been mentioned, and sucks, but it is what it is...

OK - ta. Seemed a real anomaly. Sorta wondered whether it was the whole thing where you guys have been able to pick up Chaplin without needing to use a pick, so the AFL has done a bit of a fiddle. The whole trade period has been fairly weird.

I want to know this aswell. Maybe RFC_Official can help us out on this one? Or ask the Blair what the go is...

Richmond have this afternoon inquired about Cameron Wood and Trent West as they seek to add depth in their ruck department.

Cameron Wood's time at the pies looks over, whilst the recruitment of Hamih McIntosh pushes west to the side.

Frustratingly, it's nothing new for the AFL to make up the rules on the fly to suit their own agendas.

It does seem that way. You guys are having to activate at the start of the season, so in the absence of AFL intervention I would have thought your pick would be first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back