Free Agency Trent Dumont [rookied by Port Adelaide]

Remove this Banner Ad

You are completely wrong.

Its average wage only, total contract value is only relevant to the average wage ranking

In your example the two contacts would be ranked the same and it would come down to the age weighting.
It’s not average wage, I’m sure it’s total wage.

It wouldn’t make sense to have average and give band 1 to one year contracts.

All the stuff I’ve just looked up suggests the total..

Last edited:
Why would North offload Dumont? He is far and away our best defensive runner.
We were getting murdered off turnovers at the start of the year when he was out. Trent (and McDonald) return and replace a couple of rookies on the wings and suddenly we are much harder to score against. It isn't a coincidence.
But lets let him go for a compo pick. FFS.

It’s not average wage, I’m sure it’s total wage.

It wouldn’t make sense to have average and give band 1 to one year contracts.

All the stuff I’ve just looked up suggests the total..

It is average wage, regardless of front or back loading.

You can manipulate it otherwise.

Why would a player move on a 1 year contract for the betterment of the club they are leaving? Players tend to want security, especially free agents.

You need to do more reading, you are wrong.

Why would a player move on a 1 year contract for the betterment of the club they are leaving? Players tend to want security, especially free agents.

You’re the one arguing for a system that could reward a single year.

You’re saying a 500k per a year contract is looked at as a 500k contract regardless of how many years

I disagree.

They assess the total contract figure ie

Ie $2m v $1.5m

True. This was revealed a few years ago when Vickery's contract was, at the last moment, reduced from three to two years at a higher wage to qualify for a better compo pick.

You’re the one arguing for a system that could reward a single year.

You’re saying a 500k per a year contract is looked at as a 500k contract regardless of how many years

I disagree.

They assess the total contract figure ie

Ie $2m v $1.5m

Jesus mate, just because you disagree with it, doesn’t mean you are right.

It’s common knowledge.

Please read this:

Its average base wage with a 2 year minimum. Number of years only relevant in case of a tiebreaker (which is stupid - but it is what it is). Plus age factor into the equation. Dumont was woeful on the weekend. If thats how he is playing this year then he is cant be commanding a big pay. (In afl terms)

Needs to be a min 2 year deal for FAs.

IMO, it should be total value, not yearly $.

2 years on 900k gets a better compo than 8 ears on 800k

This guy is a moneyball player no question.

Not sexy but helps you win games of football and would not have a high price tag.

I would be happy to keep him but he has been playing a bit disinterested the last few weeks so one would imagine he is gone.
Good head on his shoulders too, excellent trainer and has worked hard off field after the taxi incident.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he got the same contract as Rory Atkins - 4 years, 400k - at the same age (26) then it's probably similar compo which was end of 2nd round.

For that pick given North have bought in a fair few picks lately I'd be keeping him. Especially if they can get away with something like a front loaded 3 year deal.

North have 4 mature reliable running players who played this year - Cunnington and Hall (over 30), Dumont and McDonald. Maybe at a stretch you can include Turner and Anderson but Turner was very good at negating forwards and I'm not sure they can trust Anderson's body, and then it's Atley. Oh and Polec.

Aggressively chopping the list and then gifting games to kids as North got through the first half of the season was ok for that period, but surely the second half is a better template for proper development. Stay in games longer, build some belief, build a style that the players can trust. You just don't win games of footy with a midfield that's 23 and under. Even if the young guys all come on quickly.

If he got the same contract as Rory Atkins - 4 years, 400k - at the same age (26) then it's probably similar compo which was end of 2nd round.

For that pick given North have bought in a fair few picks lately I'd be keeping him. Especially if they can get away with something like a front loaded 3 year deal.

North have 4 mature reliable running players who played this year - Cunnington and Hall (over 30), Dumont and McDonald. Maybe at a stretch you can include Turner and Anderson but Turner was very good at negating forwards and I'm not sure they can trust Anderson's body, and then it's Atley. Oh and Polec.

Aggressively chopping the list and then gifting games to kids as North got through the first half of the season was ok for that period, but surely the second half is a better template for proper development. Stay in games longer, build some belief, build a style that the players can trust. You just don't win games of footy with a midfield that's 23 and under. Even if the young guys all come on quickly.
Yep, If we had the choice, I wouldn't want to lose our best defensive runner for a middling pick. He is unrestricted though, so if he gets a generous offer it's his call.

Also, I'm not sure anyone has been kind enough to call Cunners a running player before.

This guy is a moneyball player no question.

Not sexy but helps you win games of football and would not have a high price tag.

I would be happy to keep him but he has been playing a bit disinterested the last few weeks so one would imagine he is gone.

Definitely a player of interest for me. Viney needs help in the middle due to foot issues. Brayshaw moves to inside mid Dumont a possibility if we miss on Cerra.

Always liked Froggy from the outside, would love him on a wing at the Tiges...but won't happen. underrated i reckon

He's a free agent and a good player type and age for Port's list. He's just costing a list spot (which gives us better balance) and a ho hum salary. (for afl players) I'd be happy to take him. He's a hard working mid without hurt factor coming off a poor season reducing his contract. A trade win is a win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back