Ultimate coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 14, 2012
Los Santos
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Orlando Magic, Nick Diaz, Exers
So let's dream and imagine that the AFC completely change their coaching group for next year. I'd suggest it's safe to say Sando will be here next year.

Who would you want around him? Trying to be realistic of course.

Head: Sando
Fwd: Tredrea or Gia
Mid: Hayes or Ling
Ruck: Rehn or Cox
Def: Milburn
Senior Ass: Ratten, Woosha or Harvey

Tredrea has proven his worth by mentoring players like Tex and turning them around within a season. Was a leader all through his playing days and seems like a guy who wouldn't simply be a yes man.

Gia has spent the least few years coaching junior teams including the dogs fwd line. Whenever he comes on as the sub they seem a lot more structured through his direction

Hayes and Ling both spent their entire careers as leaders in the midfield. They were both rather limited physically but were able to get the best out of themselves through hard work and footy smarts.

I was a bit stuck on ruck coaches but I remember the improvement of Lobbes ruckwork under Rehn and have seen him drop off after Rehn had left. Also wonder if cox would be a great addition through his years of experience and success. He is probably the greatest modern day ruck but I'm not sure if that would transfer through to coaching.

I think our defence has done quite well this year with the rise of Smith, Jaensch and Brown who all sing the praises of Milburn. Surely he's kept his spot?

Woosha and Ratten have the experience and I'd probably take them in that order. Woosha for his success and seemingly cut throat approach. Ratten for his experience at Carlton but also at a premiership club.

Are there any other coaches or future coaches on people's radar and who would you want?

Bomber if his time at the airport is over, as senior assistant to sando! Agree with dash keeping his spot. Reckon coxy will stay on the weagles as ruck/mid coach. Otherwise he'd be a golden get! Like the idea of Hayes as an assistant.

West Coast don't seem to have a designated ruck coach, so I could easily see Cox staying on to assist in that area. Plus he already has done some coaching while he's been on the sidelines (at least I heard so).

Western Bulldogs have Brett Montgomery as their forwards coach. Could see Gia staying on as a forwards development coach, and again I think he already does some coaching work.

St. Kilda have Danny Sexton and Adam Kingsley as their midfield coaches. Sexton used to be a defensive coach and Kingsley an offensive coach, could see Hayes staying there to assist with his nearly 300 games of experience and strong leadership qualities.

I'm sure any of them would be willing to move with the right offer, but I just see them as being set up to move into coaching at their clubs when they retire

West Coast don't seem to have a designated ruck coach, so I could easily see Cox staying on to assist in that area. Plus he already has done some coaching while he's been on the sidelines (at least I heard so).

Western Bulldogs have Brett Montgomery as their forwards coach. Could see Gia staying on as a forwards development coach, and again I think he already does some coaching work.

St. Kilda have Danny Sexton and Adam Kingsley as their midfield coaches. Sexton used to be a defensive coach and Kingsley an offensive coach, could see Hayes staying there to assist with his nearly 300 games of experience and strong leadership qualities.

I'm sure any of them would be willing to move with the right offer, but I just see them as being set up to move into coaching at their clubs when they retire

Fair enough but you've mentioned a few there that would have to take over roles.

So if we offer Gia a decent price would he stay at the dogs? Would he like to broaden his experience? Will the dogs sack/move Montgomery for Gia? I'd suggest Gia would earn more for us if he was the Fwd coach rather than what the Dogs would offer if he wasnt offered the straight out fwd coaching role...

Would Hayes stay there behind those 2 when he is offered multiple thousands a year to be the main man here??

Let's hope their club loyalty doesn't blind them from the potential earnings/promotions outside

I like the list, and one or two in some sort of role would be great, but I would be concerned replacing 3 coaches with untried coaches is not the sort of support Sanderson needs.

For me ideally we would be able to steal an experienced assistant coach or two from successful clubs, and then bring in a couple of those sort of first timers in development roles. However we would be competing with poor Victorian clubs offering positions as a full assistant or clubs with experienced coaching panels who can afford to have a coach or two learning on the job.

Having a strong coaching panel, one which offers fresh out of the game players a lot of experience to learn from would surely help attracting quality in the future.

Last edited:
Fair enough but you've mentioned a few there that would have to take over roles.

So if we offer Gia a decent price would he stay at the dogs? Would he like to broaden his experience? Will the dogs sack/move Montgomery for Gia? I'd suggest Gia would earn more for us if he was the Fwd coach rather than what the Dogs would offer if he wasnt offered the straight out fwd coaching role...

Would Hayes stay there behind those 2 when he is offered multiple thousands a year to be the main man here??

Let's hope their club loyalty doesn't blind them from the potential earnings/promotions outside

Hayes I reckon would be mostly likely to leave, Gia on the other hand will "transition to a coaching role at the club in 2015" according to the WB website

I like the list, and one or two in some sort of role would be great, but I would be concerned replacing 3 coaches with untried coaches is not the sort of support Sanderson needs.

For me ideally we would be able to steal an experienced assistant coach or two from successful clubs, and then bring in a couple of those sort of first timers in development roles. However we would be competing with poor Victorian clubs offering positions as a full assistant or clubs with experienced coaching panels who can afford to have a coach or two learning on the job.

Having a strong coaching panel, one which offers fresh out of the game players a lot of experience to learn from would surely help attracting quality in the future.

Agreed. I have to admit my list was built through future coaches that I thought would have some massive potential and that is mainly because I haven't researched enough into experienced/current coaches. I was hoping a decent senior assistant such as Woosha would be able to overview and make the hard choices

Hayes I reckon would be mostly likely to leave, Gia on the other hand will "transition to a coaching role at the club in 2015" according to the WB website

Fair enough I'd probably do the same in his position. However there is surely a way another club can convince him to leave. I doubt it would be us but I can see a Vic club doing it

We should point to Bickley and Clarke n simply nod our head.... He'd understand

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. I have to admit my list was built through future coaches that I thought would have some massive potential and that is mainly because I haven't researched enough into experienced/current coaches. I was hoping a decent senior assistant such as Woosha would be able to overview and make the hard choices

I had a quick look over the top 4 clubs coaching panels, each seems to have guys with years of experience at other clubs. They have quality younger coaches who were willing to take roles such as development coaches or assistant to the assistant.

I see this as a problem only money will fix. Few top shelf just out of the game players are going to come here to learn under our current group of coaches as its just not going to be a great pathway for them. These guys could walk into clubs like the Saints, Bulldogs, North, Melbourne, but we should be a big enough club that can wait, see who succeeds, then swoop in with a bigger offer. If we are not, then we are not doing enough off field to put us in that position.

It will be interesting to see if we are willing to do that, if anything. Maybe someone of top quality in Dean Baileys role will give the coaching panel better balance.

Last edited:
So let's dream and imagine that the AFC completely change their coaching group for next year. I'd suggest it's safe to say Sando will be here next year.

Who would you want around him? Trying to be realistic of course.

Head: Sando
Fwd: Tredrea or Gia
Mid: Hayes or Ling
Ruck: Rehn or Cox
Def: Milburn
Senior Ass: Ratten, Woosha or Harvey

Just on that list, I have highlighted the coaches that we either selected as a rookie coach in that role or would be if we secured them. Obviously having a high quality senior assistant, which all mentioned would be in my opinion, would assist their development and performance in their role. But a well funded football club should be trying to recruit the best available. I'm not saying those guys wouldn't be the best or at least turn out to be, but all of them are/were untried in the capacity for which they'll be recruited. Tredrea has had some success in mentoring and that might be experience enough, not sure though.

Ling has turned down coaching for a media career.

When did that happen. I was listening to 3aw last Friday while walking to dinner and they spent a fair bit of time on it. He was pretty clear that he had spoken to a few parties, but hadn't made a firm decision. His wife was about to give birth in the coming days, but once things settled down they'd make the decision. Perhaps a new media contract was put in front of him and that was the end of the coaching career for the next couple of years.

When did that happen. I was listening to 3aw last Friday while walking to dinner and they spent a fair bit of time on it. He was pretty clear that he had spoken to a few parties, but hadn't made a firm decision. His wife was about to give birth in the coming days, but once things settled down they'd make the decision. Perhaps a new media contract was put in front of him and that was the end of the coaching career for the next couple of years.

Tuesday.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...hing-aspirations-on-hold-20140819-105xmi.html

Yesterday.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...hing-aspirations-on-hold-20140819-105xmi.html

Remove this Banner Ad

Back