Unpopular Basketball Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

I think magic is sevearly under-rated. I have him as best point guard ever and greatest laker

Is he severely underated? Isn't he seen as a Top 5 of all time? Those people that don't have him in their Top 5 would still say he would have been close. I don't know any other true point guard that even comes into consideration. I don't classify Oscar as a true point guard (though never watched him play).

I don't think I've ever had a popular basketball opinion, eventhough I am correct.

1. Magic Johnson is the greatest basketballer in the history of the game. Even better than Michael Jordan.

4. The Los Angeles Lakers team that went back-to-back in 1987/88 is the greatest team ever and would comfortably beat any team from any era in a seven game series. In fact this one wasn't really unpopular, because everybody outside of the Jordan fanatics agreed with me when the NBA conducted a poll back in 2001 IIRC. About 2/3rds of the coaches and players believed the Lakers were better than the 1996 (I think) Bulls team and about half the fans.

There have been dozens more, but these are all I can remember at the moment.
Jordan is the GOAT. Everybody knows this. Magic has an argument to be no.2 all time though.

72-10 Bulls are easily the best team of all time. Would kill the 87/88 Lakers.

Shock horror that's you're a Lakers fan ;)

Would be interested in seeing the poll for number 4. I think I could find several polls that indicate otherwise :p While I am a Jordan fanatic I thought it was widely accepted by all that the 96 team was GOAT unless you supported a team that was a top 5er and was pushing your own agenda.

Apologies for taking so long to get back to you, but I was having trouble finding the webpage.

There were a few errors in initial comment, firstly it was the 1986/87 Lakers, not the 1987/88 Lakers that were voted the greatest franchise ever. Secondly, the poll was conducted during the 2004 finals series and finally it was the fans majority that got the Lakers over the line, the "panel of experts" was fairly evenly split.

Anyway he is the link.

http://www.nba.com/playoffs2004/challenge_bracket.html

As for the Bulls fans, get real, you couldn't even get past the '86 Celtics, no way are you good enough to beat the '87 Lakers.:)

Suffice to say basketball has never been as good as it was in the mid eighties.

Jordan is the GOAT. Everybody knows this. Magic has an argument to be no.2 all time though.

72-10 Bulls are easily the best team of all time. Would kill the 87/88 Lakers.

Just as everybody knows that Jordan had his success and was at his most dominating when the league was at it's weakest point since the '70's. The rapid expansion that took place from 1988 over-inflated Jordan's achievements. Not saying he doesn't dseserve everything, but Magic was winning titles and MVP's and finals MVP's when playing against teams with 3, 4, 5 or even 6 Hall of Famers in their line-ups. Jordan would have been lucky to come up against a team with more than 2.

And for that reason also, the Bulls 72-10 records is over rated. That team in the mid 80's would have won 10-15 victories less. At least. And as stated previously, they wouldn't have beaten the '86 Celtics, so they wouldn't get close to the '87 Lakers.

Just as everybody knows that Jordan had his success and was at his most dominating when the league was at it's weakest point since the '70's. The rapid expansion that took place from 1988 over-inflated Jordan's achievements. Not saying he doesn't dseserve everything, but Magic was winning titles and MVP's and finals MVP's when playing against teams with 3, 4, 5 or even 6 Hall of Famers in their line-ups. Jordan would have been lucky to come up against a team with more than 2.

And for that reason also, the Bulls 72-10 records is over rated. That team in the mid 80's would have won 10-15 victories less. At least. And as stated previously, they wouldn't have beaten the '86 Celtics, so they wouldn't get close to the '87 Lakers.
So it was just Magic and a bunch of scrubs vs teams with 3, 4, 5 or even 6 HOFers!

Wow.

No wait, didnt Magic Johnson also play with James Worthy, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Byron Scott, Michael Cooper, Jamal Wilkes etc etc etc...

All relevant bro.

Pretty sure Magic had some pretty handy backup throughout his career.

I'd probably suggest that the years after the bulls weren't the greatest talent wise. Philly and the nets making the finals..... They weren't the greatest squads. Lebron taking the cavs to the finals with a bunch of scrubs too.

Sure the Lakers were good and had some good series with the kings and spurs bit the rest of the league wasn't exactly top notch.

Also kwame was taken number 1 :-D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd probably suggest that the years after the bulls weren't the greatest talent wise. Philly and the nets making the finals..... They weren't the greatest squads. Lebron taking the cavs to the finals with a bunch of scrubs too.

Sure the Lakers were good and had some good series with the kings and spurs bit the rest of the league wasn't exactly top notch.

Also kwame was taken number 1 :-D

The Western Conference was fine, the East was deplorable... it's probably been that way for a good 15 years now.

The Western Conference was fine, the East was deplorable... it's probably been that way for a good 15 years now.
Yep. In the Jordan era tho with the Celtics and pistons early and later the Knicks, Indiana and Cleveland, those were done pretty decent squads. Even Atlanta weren't too bad

I don't think I've ever had a popular basketball opinion, eventhough I am correct.

1. Magic Johnson is the greatest basketballer in the history of the game. Even better than Michael Jordan.
2. The Los Angeles Lakers should be LA's only NBA franchise. The Clippers should shipped back to San Diego or sent north to Seattle.
3. The Los Angeles Lakers should be given the #1 draft pick every season they finish outside the playoffs, because the NBA is a third rate sporting competition when the Lakers aren't competitive. This one is (slightly) tongue in cheek. :)
4. The Los Angeles Lakers team that went back-to-back in 1987/88 is the greatest team ever and would comfortably beat any team from any era in a seven game series. In fact this one wasn't really unpopular, because everybody outside of the Jordan fanatics agreed with me when the NBA conducted a poll back in 2001 IIRC. About 2/3rds of the coaches and players believed the Lakers were better than the 1996 (I think) Bulls team and about half the fans.
5. The NBA expanded too quickly in the late 80's, early '90's and as a result we are still seeing mediocre basketball when compared to the '80's.
6. The NBL died the day the Canberra Cannons died.

There have been dozens more, but these are all I can remember at the moment.

This post is definitely in the spirit of the thread yo! Especially the first few points. I have never been a Bulls or Jordan fan and a gotta say Jordan is No.1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back