Unpopular Opinions you have (non-football)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What nuances are you talking about?

I've listened to Airbourne a bit. They are literally an AC/DC copy.

Faster tempo, more energetic, bigger sound production wise. AC/DC still maintained a strong blues base to their sound, but Airbourne remove all traces of the blues influence. If anything, it is more straightforward than AC/DC, and a lot of there scales and such have more in common with Rose Tattoo.

10426212_10152537325473870_1365915128401635866_n.jpg

The circle of life.

There's nothing original about Airbourne, they're an ACDC ripoff like Wolfmother were a Led Zep ripoff but there's a lot of kids out there that think they're original.
Just like Tame Impala rip off psych rock bands and The Beatles and no one ever brings up how blatant and all-derivation-no-creation it is.

Hard rock bands just aren't that popular in Australia any more - local or otherwise. Jet and the Vines aren't hard rock. It's only well-established bands who got successful in previous eras who still sell big numbers of albums.

On the other hand, there are tons of local bands / artists in more popular genres who get plenty of success in Australia.
I don't know that that's entirely true, you'd have bands like Karnivool and The Butterfly Effect, though I'll concede that:
A) they aren't really similar to AC/DC in terms of style; and;
B) in general these bands have less success than other genres.

Also, in terms of unpopular opinions, I like Thrift Shop...

So has anyone established why Australians and their media continue to parade how rock n roll Australia is, despite all evidence to the contrary?

Australia is not a prolific producer or supporter of rock music and hasn't been since the mid 80s, that's my unpopular opinion.

So has anyone established why Australians and their media continue to parade how rock n roll Australia is, despite all evidence to the contrary?

Australia is not a prolific producer or supporter of rock music and hasn't been since the mid 80s, that's my unpopular opinion.
Silverchair, Powderfinger, Cog, Killing Heidi?

Actually now I list it it really isn't that many :(

There is some quality stuff there though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Silverchair, Powderfinger, Cog, Killing Heidi?

Actually now I list it it really isn't that many :(

There is some quality stuff there though

Silverchair were grunge, which was also the dominant/popular genre at the time, didn't exactly go against the grain. They did kick ass in their day however.

Not sure what I'd call Powerderfinger... alt rock/pop?

Not sure what I'd call Powerderfinger... alt rock/pop?
Depends on the song I'd say, but I'd agree with that. Wasn't a huge fan at the time Vulture Street was released but they've grown on me since

Bloody pokies have gobbled up all the decent band rooms in pubs which doesn't help.

I was at a gig once with a local band that once toured Europe and Asia supporting megadeth, playing in the club with about 20 - 30 people turned up just to see them, and drink. The half dozen oldies on the pokies complained it was too loud and disturbing their gaming. We got told to pack it in after the next song.

There's nothing original about Airbourne, they're an ACDC ripoff like Wolfmother were a Led Zep ripoff but there's a lot of kids out there that think they're original.

Not defending them but how are Wolfmother a Zeppelin rip off?

I understand Oasis/Beatles

I've never heard of Airbourne, but if I saw this clip without reading this thread I would have thought this was from a parody film, a la Spinal Tap.

It's a pisstake surely?
They're huge in Europe - they took to the stage at Roskilde in 2013 and had the second biggest stage mostly packed.

They do put on a classic crazy rock show, which was quite a contrast to the shoe-gazer bands on the bill - they are very much an AC/DC style band, bunch of shearers who don't try to hide their major influence.

They're huge in Europe - they took to the stage at Roskilde in 2013 and had the second biggest stage mostly packed.

They do put on a classic crazy rock show, which was quite a contrast to the shoe-gazer bands on the bill - they are very much an AC/DC style band, bunch of shearers who don't try to hide their major influence.
Huge in Europe always has me imaging The Scorpions or the Hoff.

Huge in Europe always has me imaging The Scorpions or the Hoff.
We produce a few artists like that - CW Stoneking is way bigger overseas than at home

They rocked out wacken? Wracken? Festival a few times, along with Rose Tattoo, who also funny enough play to bigger crowds on the other side of the world than the do at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back