Unpopular Opinions you have (non-football)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Muhammad Ali is not the best boxer ever, in fact is not even the best heavyweight ever either imo, I rate Sugar Ray Robinson and Joe Louis respectively to those mantles.
Joe Louis would not have beaten Ali. Jersey Joe Walcott is a good example of how a fighter who moved around and used angles could beat Louis.
Billy Conn had Louis on toast in their 1941 fight. Its how Ali would have fought Louis but wouldn't be giving up 15 odd kilos. Louis always had trouble with guys who used the ring and didn't just stand in front of him.

Joe Louis would not have beaten Ali. Jersey Joe Walcott is a good example of how a fighter who moved around and used angles could beat Louis.
Billy Conn had Louis on toast in their 1941 fight. Its how Ali would have fought Louis but wouldn't be giving up 15 odd kilos. Louis always had trouble with guys who used the ring and didn't just stand in front of him.

I'm not so sure. I think Ali was hittable and I think Louis definitely would have landed on him, Ali did have a good chin though so hard to say what would have happened. I haven't seen that Billy Conn fight yet but have it on a DVD i just got, will have to watch it.

I guess my main point would be that Louis was the most dominant HW of his era ever. Ali didn't dominate as much as Louis did, though Ali definitely fought in the greatest era of heavyweight boxing of the modern era at least. Either way I think it's silly to say Ali was automatically the GOAT. Blokes like Marciano and Lewis and even the Klits get s**t on for fighting in average eras, all you can do is beat your peers and they all did that.

But Sugar Ray Robinson was better than all of them.

I'm not so sure. I think Ali was hittable and I think Louis definitely would have landed on him, Ali did have a good chin though so hard to say what would have happened. I haven't seen that Billy Conn fight yet but have it on a DVD i just got, will have to watch it.

I guess my main point would be that Louis was the most dominant HW of his era ever. Ali didn't dominate as much as Louis did, though Ali definitely fought in the greatest era of heavyweight boxing of the modern era at least. Either way I think it's silly to say Ali was automatically the GOAT. Blokes like Marciano and Lewis and even the Klits get s**t on for fighting in average eras, all you can do is beat your peers and they all did that.

But Sugar Ray Robinson was better than all of them.
Ali, after he came back, was hittable. But he took the best Frazier, Foreman, Shavers, Lyle etc threw at him and beat them all. That left Frazier dropped him with in their first fight would have taken the head off anybody else. Ali was up at 3. Joe's chin was a lot more circumspect. He was getting dropped by guys like Schmelling, Galento and Braddock.

Robinson would be my GOAT. I would have liked to have seen him in a fight with Hagler.

Ali, after he came back, was hittable. But he took the best Frazier, Foreman, Shavers, Lyle etc threw at him and beat them all. That left Frazier dropped him with in their first fight would have taken the head off anybody else. Ali was up at 3. Joe's chin was a lot more circumspect. He was getting dropped by guys like Schmelling, Galento and Braddock.

Robinson would be my GOAT. I would have liked to have seen him in a fight with Hagler.

Frazier probably had the most lethal left hook I can think of. One of his old fights was on ESPN the other night, he won by a TKO in the 5th, not sure if it was a left hook to the body that actually finished it but that's certainly what caused most of the damage, absolutely brutal.

For another fantasy fight I think Duran v Pac at lightweight would have been amazing, I would have my money on Duran but it would have been a great spectacle.

Another unpopular boxing opinion: A pre-Cus dying Tyson would have been a handful for any HW in history, I'm not saying he would have definitely won but he would have had a solid chance. His speed, head movement and power gave him a KO chance against anyone.

Frazier probably had the most lethal left hook I can think of. One of his old fights was on ESPN the other night, he won by a TKO in the 5th, not sure if it was a left hook to the body that actually finished it but that's certainly what caused most of the damage, absolutely brutal.

For another fantasy fight I think Duran v Pac at lightweight would have been amazing, I would have my money on Duran but it would have been a great spectacle.

Another unpopular boxing opinion: A pre-Cus dying Tyson would have been a handful for any HW in history, I'm not saying he would have definitely won but he would have had a solid chance. His speed, head movement and power gave him a KO chance against anyone.
I think that was the Jimmy Ellis fight. Guys fell into the trap of trying to out punch Frazier. That fight and the Jerry Quarry fight are examples. Joe eventually wore you down.

Duran at lightweight was a beast although the way he won title against Buchanan was controversial. Punched him right in the nuts. Duran at middleweight lost some power but not ferocity. The 80's were the great middleweight years with Duran, Hagler, Hearns and Leonard all fighting each other.

If Cus had lived longer, Tyson may have had a different outcome to his personal life . He really fell of the rails after his death.

Surely Aussie Joe Bugner would have to be up there with the greats.

Went the distance twice against Ali and once against Frazier.

He could fight.

I laugh at 9/11 jokes morbid/bad taste scenes like that in movies, and i think if 'Merica is going to take the piss out of its enemies/Terrorists/Kim Jung etc, it should also be fair game to take the piss out of itself.

Americans seem less xenophobic/racist/Islamaphobic than Europeans these days (least based on my own personal experiences)

Donald Trump is one thing (although I doubt they he will get elected) but the rise of Far Right/White Supremacist groups in many Euro nations concerns me (and the distasteful and abhorrent attacks in Cologne on NYE's didn't help)

But its not just Muslims feeling the wrath, a lot of these d/hs can't distinguish between a Sikh or a Muslim, and persons of all colour/foreigners seem to be attacked daily.

Extremist groups like that need to be quelled, especially in Germany, because history and human nature tells us these morons won't just stop at Muslims/Middle Eastern people.

Meh.

A lot of them are incompatible with Western/European society, and people like the Dutch and the Germans are aghast that their culture and identity is being eroded by others.

The open border policy is going to be a ******* disaster. I was in Dubai last week, and I spent the day with some locals and Danish ex-pats living there - and even the locals think it's madness that the European countries threw open their borders... A nice gesture - but madness.

Unless you've lived there, or know people from there, I don't think you can criticise them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back