Up the Arse! Goons Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ramsey isn't some rock in midfield that I think you think he is.
Perhaps. But he still offers more defensively than an Ozil or Santi.

Anyway good problems to have. I can't remember the last season we had 2 players for every position.

Ramsey is a difficult one.

Was last year a flash in the pan or did injuries really rob us of another season like last?

This time last season he was unstoppable.

It's relevant though. Why field three central midfielders when only one of them is capable of defensive work? Wenger plays Ramsey for his (albeit inconsistent this season) box-to-box traits. At his best he provides good balance (inb4 "he hasn't been at his best this season")

Some games require that balance more than others. Wenger wouldn't field a Coq-Cazorla-Ozil central trio away to a Chelsea, United, City, Pool or even Stoke. If Ramsey's fit then he'd take one of those positions in such games.

Despite our healthy win rate the past two months we've looked shaky in many of those games for long periods.

Edit: the 2-1 wins v Palace, QPR, Leicester were without Ramsey starting. We could and probably should've dropped points in the first two. Luckily we didn't but that doesn't change that we were outplayed in those games for long periods with an unbalanced midfield.

Last edited:
Ramsey is a difficult one.

Was last year a flash in the pan or did injuries really rob us of another season like last?

This time last season he was unstoppable.

Interesting question. Injuries haven't helped but same can be said about many at Arsenal. Difficult to know why he started the season so poorly, and it can't be attributed to the World Cup which Wenger has referred to previously.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ramsey now looks like a player failing to grasp a new role and trying to be the scoring hero he was last year.

If he accepts and embraces the deeper/more defensive role handed to him this season then he has all the tools to succeed.

We don't need more than 10 goals from him each season anymore - we just need him to do the job. And I don't think anyone would suggest he isn't capable. Wilshere on the other hand...

I don't mean technique. I mean the ability to sit beside Coq and help us bitch other sides and not be bitched ourselves. Wilshere can't do that.

(not suggesting Ramsey is some sort of physical machine but he can do that role just fine ala Man City)

The stuff I've been reading about Wanyama has been hilarious - he's a handy player for a club like Southampton but has no business at a club at Arsenal. Schneiderlin is the diamond in that team.

This "pace, power, physical presence" rubbish that the British press love to throw about might get you places in the BPL where teams like City can bulldoze over most opponents but doesn't get you anywhere in Europe. The best teams in the world all have players who can pass their way out of intense pressing. Wanyama would get murdered at CL level IMO.

Also people over reacting about Ramsey's indifferent form this season - he just hasn't had enough time to get a run of games together - every time he does, he gets a frustrating niggling injury and its back to square one.

He was fantastic at RW vs Liverpool and caused them all sorts of problems with his energy. I feel his future is deep lying CM with devastating well timed runs into the box. His partnership with Arteta at CM was the reason why we rocketed to the top of the league at the start of last season.

But that's actually where he was at his best prior to this season. As a box to box.

Agree - the issue is more of his penchant to want to bomb forward and not paying enough respect to his defensive duties - he's leaved Coq exposed quite a few times this season. He's getting a lot better in recent games (bar Newcastle away).

Agree - the issue is more of his penchant to want to bomb forward and not paying enough respect to his defensive duties - he's leaved Coq exposed quite a few times this season. He's getting a lot better in recent games (bar Newcastle away).

Yep agreed. Wenger briefly spoke about it at one point earlier this season, regarding Ramsey perhaps wanting to score goals too much. There was a lot to take in from that comment.

Rare that he would state such a thing publicly, but it was perhaps a way of sugar coating the fact that Ramsey was being selfish.

Agree with above comments Ramsey is struggling to adapt to a somewhat lesser role where he needs to take a back seat to Sanchez, Cazorla & Ozil being the attacking forces whereas in that season he dominated he was the man and the key attacking player

Yep agreed. Wenger briefly spoke about it at one point earlier this season, regarding Ramsey perhaps wanting to score goals too much. There was a lot to take in from that comment.

Rare that he would state such a thing publicly, but it was perhaps a way of sugar coating the fact that Ramsey was being selfish.
If Ramsey is getting too far forward why does Wenger not tell him to get back during the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back