Updated Club Song

Pick one

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Getting the guy from Birds of Tokyo was a disaster. We need something heavier. How about the guy from Karnivool this time?
Dunno why they didn't just get Karnivool instead of BoT. Dunno wtf they were thinking getting Ian Kenny to bring BoT with him instead of Karnivool.

Dunno WTF Kenny was thinking going more drive radio friendly by focusing on BoT to begin with.

I’m stoked about the Banners returning
During my stint in Melbourne I was involved in a few banner sessions and had an absolute blast
I suspect the banner sessions in Perth will be oversubscribed so those without immediate links to the club may not get the opportunities I got in Melbourne
But it’s a great way to engage with the fans

As for the song:
-All for it if it’s the original one
-If it’s the Hey Eagles heartless truncated version then no thanks, I’d rather keep our current one

has there been 4 or 5 versions?
original 1987 with verses
a change in early 90s as sung at 92 and 94 flags (with no hey eagles at the start)
a change in mid-late 90s or early 2000s (when it added the hey eagles to the start as sung at 2006 flag)
a brief change for 2017-18 (as sung at 2018 flag)
and the current one from 2019/2020?

i think original wont happen
it should be the 2nd version without the hey eagles but they will go with 3rd or 4th version IMHO

they should give 2 and 3 and 4 to a members vote

Just use AI to make a version in the format/sound of the traditional VFL songs. Fable singers
Despite sounding like a joke, it literally is just this.

The original song is fine, it just needs to sound like a footy song. Not corporate promo music or an 80s power pop anthem.

The lyrics are completely irrelevant. No one cares about the words

Despite sounding like a joke, it literally is just this.

The original song is fine, it just needs to sound like a footy song. Not corporate promo music or an 80s power pop anthem.

The lyrics are completely irrelevant. No one cares about the words
100%
if someone can get AI to do the eagles song, the SUNS song and any others in that Fable singers style, they will be amazing

a change in early 90s as sung at 92 and 94 flags (with no hey eagles at the start)
a change in mid-late 90s or early 2000s (when it added the hey eagles to the start as sung at 2006 flag)

it should be the 2nd version without the hey eagles but they will go with 3rd or 4th version IMHO

Been 4

It should definitely not be the 2nd one

The 2018 version is easily the best of the non 1987 versions. The trumpets are a great addition

Why are they doing this testing the waters thing on whether to change the song back? They changed it in 2020 without asking in typically arrogant fashion of the old era.

The players think it sucks, the fans think it sucks, the opposition mocks us for how much it sucks. End this debacle now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Get Harry Angus on the phone. Something with a trumpet in a matching band style is all you need.

Why are they doing this testing the waters thing on whether to change the song back? They changed it in 2020 without asking in typically arrogant fashion of the old era.

The players think it sucks, the fans think it sucks, the opposition mocks us for how much it sucks. End this debacle now.

At this point there's almost no chance the song stays as is. No point for fan consultation on that, it's clear that the song is not popular. I think it's more about sounding out what the song is changed to.

As for the lack of fan consultation last time, just because thats how things were done it doesn't mean that's how things will be done. Someone else is in charge now and there's already been a modified outlook around the way fans are engaged with.

To be fair, there was a bit of a push to change the song back then. It’s not like everyone loved it.

We were just surprised and disappointed by what we got. As were the players, it seems

Hey all. Sorry to bump this thread but I had an idea for a new song. I’ve written lyrics to the melody of ‘Feniculi Fenicula’. Let me know what you think. If it’s trash then I’ll put a pin in it. Cheers…

FOR WE ARE THE EAGLES
From Perth, the place of birth of an institution, our club is born (our club is born)
For we, stand on the shoulders of our champions, foundation formed (foundation formed)
To win, we travel all across the nation, on wings we fly (on wings we fly)
We play, to bring the flag back to our fortress, it’s rightful home (it’s rightful home)

West Coast, West Coast
Royal blue and gold
West Coast, West Coast
The premiership’s our goal
Nil to deny
We’ll show you why
We own the ground
We own the sky
For we are the mighty Eagles and we’re flying high

FYI...
I chucked it up on Twitter (sorry I misspelled your name as well as "the")

Last edited:
Why did they get rid of the team banner? I know it will be some bizarre woke reason, but what was the rationale?

I don't know anybody who likes the song they came up with. Brayshaw's comments are more evidence of how bad the group think was within the the club in the last few years, especially at management and mid management level. The management must have hated the new song just as much as all the rest of us, and they must have known how hated it was in the supporter base, but nobody was ever going to air a contrary opinion in front of Nisbett. They all kowtowed instead and told him how great it was. Similarly the players must have all felt that they couldn't express an opinion that the old song was better. Just like nobody would have been able to air the opinion that the poor results were not just Covid and injuries but that we had a declining list and our processes, personel and output from our departments was no longer close to the best in the league. Nisbett didn't want to hear it. Imagine being so thin skinned and tyrannical and the people around you being so intimidated by your likely reaction to the slightest disagreement or divergence from your opinion that everybody at the club is too scared to tell you that the new song is not very good and not very popular with supporters.

Why did they get rid of the team banner? I know it will be some bizarre woke reason, but what was the rationale?

I don't know anybody who likes the song they came up with. Brayshaw's comments are more evidence of how bad the group think was within the the club in the last few years, especially at management and mid management level. The management must have hated the new song just as much as all the rest of us, and they must have known how hated it was in the supporter base, but nobody was ever going to air a contrary opinion in front of Nisbett. They all kowtowed instead and told him how great it was. Similarly the players must have all felt that they couldn't express an opinion that the old song was better. Just like nobody would have been able to air the opinion that the poor results were not just Covid and injuries but that we had a declining list and our processes, personel and output from our departments was no longer close to the best in the league. Nisbett didn't want to hear it. Imagine being so thin skinned and tyrannical and the people around you being so intimidated by your likely reaction to the slightest disagreement or divergence from your opinion that everybody at the club is too scared to tell you that the new song is not very good and not very popular with supporters.
Believe it or not, some dumb decisions have nothing to do with being woke or some other weird political bent.

To be fair, there was a bit of a push to change the song back then. It’s not like everyone loved it.

We were just surprised and disappointed by what we got. As were the players, it seems
The lack of consultation bugged me the most, it was just dropped on us and it reminded me of the jumper debacle from the early 2000's.

Don't go back to the old song in any iteration. Just change it.

There's no 'good version', the song in its essence just isn't right.

Of course reverting back will be an improvement from what we have now, but we'll just be going from abominably bad, back to plain old ordinary still the worst song in the league.

It was part of the overall re-brand, when we got the updated logo, had not long moved to Optus, I believe it was just dropped as part of the overall re-branding.

Could be a Pyke move along with the banner return trying to bring things back to normal. The players lame addition with the "pride is born" stuff was ridiculous. From memory it was the players saying the song was too short etc so we added it.

Been 4

It should definitely not be the 2nd one

4 logos throughout, but 5 songs. Maybe you don't count the 30 secconds of number 2. But if you start ignoring anything under 30 secconds some people will be mighty upset!

Back