Updated Club Song

Pick one

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly. Thats why Nisbett should have been moved on a long time ago. When the person in charge drives the buss off the cliff you can't leave the same person in charge to clean it up. They will have a vested interest to spend their time and energy crafting a narrative in their own head about how none of it was their fault rather than being honest about the causes (and their culpability) and cleaning it up. Which is exactly what Nisbett has been doing for the last 3 years - denying the problems trying to control the narrative and shift the blame away from himself.

And blind ignorance is exactly the phrase to describe his demeanour. I am still stunned at his press conferences last year announcing his retirement where he was doing a lap of honour and patting himself on the back. Look at the mess he has left. Other supporters might be in denial about how big the hole is but i think we are still 5 years away from emerging from this hole in a sustainable way. WCE Phil says you need a group of 12 - 14 quality young players under 24 and likely to be clear best 22 players once seasoned to have a group coming through capable of sustained success. I reckon at the moment we have about 6 or 7. We need another 6 or 7 (which will take several drafts if we get it right) and then we need to get the majority of the group past 50 games of experience. That is going to take 5 years from where we are now.

They got rid of the cheer leaders because they decided that dancing girls were mysoginistic and objectified women (woke reason) even though the majority supporters liked the Eaglets. They changed the club song so they could put didgeridoos and clap sticks in there and add an indiginous sound to it (woke reason) even though a clear majority of the supporters didn't want it changed. It is a pretty good bet that the team banners were banned because some small group of people obsessed with their own victimhood complained about the banners for some reason aswell.

I don't think it's a big deal to decide which song to go back to. You don't need 100% of people to all agree to one song. You just need 75% of supporters to agree that one version is in their top couple of choices and therefore acceptable.
Everything I don't like is 'woke'.

Your post started off so well for once...

Are there any good Taylor Swift songs we could borrow?

That's how we get above the Pies on the membership ladder.
Eagles gonna fly, fly, fly, fly, fly
But i just wanna cry, cry, cry, cry, cry

Basically writes itself

Exactly. Thats why Nisbett should have been moved on a long time ago. When the person in charge drives the buss off the cliff you can't leave the same person in charge to clean it up. They will have a vested interest to spend their time and energy crafting a narrative in their own head about how none of it was their fault rather than being honest about the causes (and their culpability) and cleaning it up. Which is exactly what Nisbett has been doing for the last 3 years - denying the problems trying to control the narrative and shift the blame away from himself.

And blind ignorance is exactly the phrase to describe his demeanour. I am still stunned at his press conferences last year announcing his retirement where he was doing a lap of honour and patting himself on the back. Look at the mess he has left. Other supporters might be in denial about how big the hole is but i think we are still 5 years away from emerging from this hole in a sustainable way. WCE Phil says you need a group of 12 - 14 quality young players under 24 and likely to be clear best 22 players once seasoned to have a group coming through capable of sustained success. I reckon at the moment we have about 6 or 7. We need another 6 or 7 (which will take several drafts if we get it right) and then we need to get the majority of the group past 50 games of experience. That is going to take 5 years from where we are now.

They got rid of the cheer leaders because they decided that dancing girls were mysoginistic and objectified women (woke reason) even though the majority supporters liked the Eaglets. They changed the club song so they could put didgeridoos and clap sticks in there and add an indiginous sound to it (woke reason) even though a clear majority of the supporters didn't want it changed. It is a pretty good bet that the team banners were banned because some small group of people obsessed with their own victimhood complained about the banners for some reason aswell.

I don't think it's a big deal to decide which song to go back to. You don't need 100% of people to all agree to one song. You just need 75% of supporters to agree that one version is in their top couple of choices and therefore acceptable.

It was actually mentioned it was due to environmental issues as some point in time

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The world turned to dogshit when the club changed it's song to this so maybe by reversing it the world will balance out again somewhat. How fitting our first win with the song was an empty Optus stadium played as the season was postponed along with the country going on hold for months.

Eagles gonna fly, fly, fly, fly, fly
But i just wanna cry, cry, cry, cry, cry

Basically writes itself
After the last couple of years?

"'Cause the ankles gonna break, break, break, break, break,
And the hamstrings gonna tear, tear, tear, tear, tear,
Baby, I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake,
Shake it off, shake it off.

Wrists gonna sprain, sprain, sprain, sprain, sprain,
And the knees gonna strain, strain, strain, strain, strain,
Baby, I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake,
Shake it off, shake it off."

Eagles, eagles, eagles
We play the game
Come on boys
Lets win it, hey!

We are the eagles
And we're here to say
Gaff on the wing
Ever-y game

Eagles, eagles, eagles
We're on the mend
The single fin
Is 3.5 Percent

Genuinely think if the club just reverted to the original and ironically leaned into the 80s schtick in their marketing next year people (except Cornes ofc) would eat it up.

It's not meant to be high art. Have a bit of fun with it for now. Take some time to commission 4-5 different (not famous) writers to come up with some variants - give them a spectrum from reworking the original to writing something entirely new (and make sure they record it in the studio rather than in the box). It'll cost like 200k max.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely they just revert to the previous version of the club song. That'll please the most people.

It might seem dated, but then again so do 90% of the rest of the AFL's team songs.

Besides, you really think they're going to get edgy and come up with a trendier version after the last one bombed so bad?

Surely they just revert to the previous version of the club song. That'll please the most people.

It might seem dated, but then again so do 90% of the rest of the AFL's team songs.

Besides, you really think they're going to get edgy and come up with a trendier version after the last one bombed so bad?
There’s almost zero chance they’d change it to something new entirely. It’ll be revert or stay

History of the club song. Second version starting with the Hey eagles is what i think we should use. Don't think they will use the original as it's to long and the blind men over East got offended by it.

There was definitely an iteration in the late 90s between the original and Hey Eagles.

Where it was just the chorus but had guitar

I'd be ok (not happy) with the current one if they didn't * up how the chorus is sung so badly.

The atmosphere in the crowd just dies when they play it though. You don't want to feel deflated after a win and that's what the current song does.

I just wanna belt out the chorus after a win. The previous version allowed that and the crowd was always up and about.

Great news indeed! No more big blue blow-up chook… no more Tokyo birdsong! We’ve definitely turned a corner… club is listening!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'd be ok (not happy) with the current one if they didn't * up how the chorus is sung so badly.

The atmosphere in the crowd just dies when they play it though. You don't want to feel deflated after a win and that's what the current song does.

I just wanna belt out the chorus after a win. The previous version allowed that and the crowd was always up and about.
I think part of it was trying to make the chorus easier to sing lol.

Have they confirmed they're ditching the current one or just "looking into it"?

Prior to The West article this week, Don Pyke was interviewed by both 6PR and SEN WA on the 7th and 8th of this month respectively and was asked about both the possibility of the banner returning and bringing back the original Club song (Adam Papalia said it was an overwhelming request by 6PR listeners, and SEN WA played a snippet of the 1987 rendition as they asked him, with Tim Gossage saying "it has more balls and it has got a bit more tradition to it").

Don said both of those were under discussion, he is aware of the public sentiment with some people being for or against the current song as well as the banner returning, and said to leave it with him "as it's certainly on the agenda".

A week later on the 17th, the return of the banner was announced. So given the majority of people share the same opinion regarding the current song, I'd say it's likely to change at this point with the momentum behind it.

Would be very interesting if they pull a #returnthewings and reinstate the OG. 🤔

Back