Uruguay v Australia 1st leg date change

Remove this Banner Ad

Uruguay wants date change
October 19, 2005

AUSTRALIA is considering a Uruguay request to play the first of the two World Cup play-off legs on November 11, a day ahead of schedule.

The Uruguay Football Association said it wants to change the date of the Montevideo match to allow more rest before the second leg in Sydney, set for November 16.

The winner of the two-match series will earn one of the five remaining berths in the 32-team World Cup field.

Football Federation Australia (FFA) spokesman Stuart Hodge said the offer is being considered and an announcement will be made soon.

"We only received it yesterday. We cannot put a time frame on (a decision) but obviously it has got to be soon, " he said.

"It just depends on what we would like to do. There are a few factors that need to be taken into consideration over the next period of time."

Uruguay official Osvaldo Gimenez said that FIFA, football's world governing body, has already given its approval to the change as long as both associations agree.

"Right now we are waiting for an answer from the Australian authorities given that FIFA ... said it would have no problem with moving up the match," Giminez said.

Advertisement:
The series will be a replay of the 2001 play-off when Uruguay qualified for the 2002 World Cup in South Korea and Japan.

Uruguay lost the first leg in Melbourne 1-0 but won 3-0 at the Estadio Centenario.

Meanwhile, Gimenez guaranteed the security of the Socceroos after accusations that in 2001 the visitors were jostled and spat at on arrival in Montevideo and made to fell like virtual prisoners in their hotel.

He promised there would be no repeat of such incidents.

"The Australians can be assured that Uruguay is one of the safest countries on the continent," he said.

Source

Rory said:
"The Australians can be assured that Uruguay is one of the safest countries on the continent," he said.

Source

Wow, one of the safest countries in South America - that's hardly a great endorsement. Pretty much saying you will get beaten and robbed but probably not shot.

Tell them to stick their date change up their arse.

Rory said:
Meanwhile, Gimenez guaranteed the security of the Socceroos after accusations that in 2001 the visitors were jostled and spat at on arrival in Montevideo and made to fell like virtual prisoners in their hotel.
Accusations? There was bloody footage of it happening to the players! Sod 'em, I say. Let them suffer.

NICK THE PIE MAN said:
As I said in the other thread....

F*ck em.

Give 'em nothing...

Exactly

This is not the time to roll over and be a good corporate citizen.

We'd be a laughing stock if we gave away the considerable advantage at our disposal.

Huzzah! FIFA rule it out, just in case there was going to be any muppetry.

FIFA set 'destiny' dates in stone
The dates of the 2006 World Cup qualifying series between Australia and Uruguay next month will not be changed despite a request from both national bodies for more time between the two games.

The first leg will be played in Montevideo on Saturday November 12 (Sunday morning AEST) with the return leg to be played at Telstra Stadium on Wednesday November 16.

moistie said:

The dates of the 2006 World Cup qualifying series between Australia and Uruguay next month will not be changed despite a request from both national bodies for more time between the two games.

The first leg will be played in Montevideo on Saturday November 12 (Sunday morning AEST) with the return leg to be played at Telstra Stadium on Wednesday November 16.

Lovely.

moistie said:

Does that mean that we were keen to have the game played earlier too??

According to FIFA the dates were set in stone, that was yesterday, today FIFA have told Uruguay Football Federation that if Australia agree the game can be played a day earlier. They have formalling asked us, and we are deliberating upon our decision. Guus was against it speaking on ESPN Press Pass last week, so hopefully he has the final say and tells FFA to tell U R GAY to ******** off!

moistie said:
Accusations? There was bloody footage of it happening to the players! Sod 'em, I say. Let them suffer.

Exactly what I was thinking, I reckon uruguay will find that Aussie, unlike last time, are JUST AS PASSIONATE as the South Americans this time round, so ******** em. We'll take our specially chartered Qantas flight and get home hours before they get here.

I agree entirely. We owe the Uruguayans less than nothing. After what happens last time, they have the nerve to make a request of us? They can get stuffed.

I remember hearing that the Socceroos will be taking a direct private flight back from Montevideo to Sydney only hours after the match while Uruguay have to take a flight (or coach) to Buenos Aires to catch a fligh to New Zealand then another flight to Sydney.
I dont know if the report of World Sports mentioned when they leave Uruguay.

They'll be less rested than the Aussies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i have agreed with the tell them to go and gets suffed sediments but since FFA wants Guus to have the final say i wonder if its a benifit to us as well....

it s it matters little then stuff it but if we need it justs as badly if not more then why cut your nose to spite your face...THIS IS ABOUT THE SOCEROOS BEST CHANCE OF QUALIFYING NOT THEM!

Australia deny Uruguay's request to move play-off

MELBOURNE, Oct 20 (Reuters) - Australia have rejected a request from Uruguay to switch the date of the first leg of their World Cup playoff.

The opening leg is scheduled to take place in Montevideo on November 12 and the return match in Sydney four days later, the winner of the tie advancing to next year's World Cup finals in Germany.

The Football Federation of Australia (FFA) received a request from Uruguay asking for the Montevideo match be brought forward a day to allow the teams an extra day off for the long trip from South America.

The FFA, however, said on Thursday they had denied the request and faxed their decision to the Uruguay Football Association.

'Football Federation Australia (has) informed the Uruguay Football Association that it did not agree with their proposal to change the date of the first leg of the 2006 FIFA World Cup playoff between the two countries,' a statement from FFA said.

FFA said they had denied the request because they had made all of their arrangements based on the November 12 date.

The two teams also met in the World Cup playoff for the 2002 finals, when Uruguay beat Australia 3-1 on aggregate.

banzai said:
Australia deny Uruguay's request to move play-off

MELBOURNE, Oct 20 (Reuters) - Australia have rejected a request from Uruguay to switch the date of the first leg of their World Cup playoff.

The opening leg is scheduled to take place in Montevideo on November 12 and the return match in Sydney four days later, the winner of the tie advancing to next year's World Cup finals in Germany.

The Football Federation of Australia (FFA) received a request from Uruguay asking for the Montevideo match be brought forward a day to allow the teams an extra day off for the long trip from South America.

The FFA, however, said on Thursday they had denied the request and faxed their decision to the Uruguay Football Association.

'Football Federation Australia (has) informed the Uruguay Football Association that it did not agree with their proposal to change the date of the first leg of the 2006 FIFA World Cup playoff between the two countries,' a statement from FFA said.

FFA said they had denied the request because they had made all of their arrangements based on the November 12 date.

The two teams also met in the World Cup playoff for the 2002 finals, when Uruguay beat Australia 3-1 on aggregate.

I'm sure that's the real reason. :)

Well done FFA, we need to make the most of any advantage we may have and they've done that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back