VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

To give you an example, several years ago, an A Section/Premier Grand Final was broadcast live throughout Melbourne on not one, but 3 community radio stations in a joint effort-Inner FM, North West FM and Southern FM. Something that the VAFA would never had dreamed about or even thought it would happen prior to 1998. And kudos not just to the late Ken Pertrucco, but also to then VAFA CEO Phil Stevens who had the foresight and courage to persuade the VAFA Executive/Board to allow a community radio station to broadcast VAFA games live on a weekly basis.
You're the savvy one on these things, Jase. My recall goes back to Inner FM being the only radio station that called a game each week throughout the season. They also devoted time on Saturday mornings for discussion and interviews with the movers-n-shakers. And covered major events like the B & F.

Think Southern just entered the calling caper for finals.

Ken had a senior role at Inner FM and was the driving force in ensuring a significant VAFA radio presence.

You're the savvy one on these things, Jase. My recall goes back to Inner FM being the only radio station that called a game each week throughout the season. They also devoted time on Saturday mornings for discussion and interviews with the movers-n-shakers. And covered major events like the B & F.

Ken had a senior role at Inner FM and was the driving force in ensuring a significant VAFA radio presence.
I have a copy of the 1998 VAFA Annual Report at home, and this is what the report said about 96.5 Inner FM starting up its long association with the VAFA via the Media sub-committee:

'Radio 3INR (which later became 96.5 Inner FM) began broadcasting B Section matches through the hard work of Paul Walsh and presented a VAFA talk show hosted by Phil Skeggs and Don Blackwood. This was a great innovation and much appreciated by the clubs.'

I have a copy of the 1998 VAFA Annual Report at home, and this is what the report said about 96.5 Inner FM starting up its long association with the VAFA via the Media sub-committee:

'Radio 3INR (which later became 96.5 Inner FM) began broadcasting B Section matches through the hard work of Paul Walsh and presented a VAFA talk show hosted by Phil Skeggs and Don Blackwood. This was a great innovation and much appreciated by the clubs.'
Two wonderful servants of the VAFA/Ivanhoe FC - In Phil and Doni. It's how I first met Ken, a wonderful man and advocate for local football. RIP Ken.

Chump.

Two wonderful servants of the VAFA/Ivanhoe FC - In Phil and Doni. It's how I first met Ken, a wonderful man and advocate for local football. RIP Ken.

Chump.

Welcome back. "Chump". Just knew you couldn't keep away. The club may have moved comps but your heart remains in the VAFA.:)

Think Bruce's son has been a mover-n-shaker at the Hoes and often appeared on Inner FM promoting the club.

As a matter of interest have you been able to lift the revenue via more sponsors or other methods? I assume you'll need more funds now you're paying at least some players. That's assuming none were on the payroll hitherto.;)

Welcome back. "Chump". Just knew you couldn't keep away. The club may have moved comps but your heart remains in the VAFA.:)

Think Bruce's son has been a mover-n-shaker at the Hoes and often appeared on Inner FM promoting the club.

As a matter of interest have you been able to lift the revenue via more sponsors or other methods? I assume you'll need more funds now you're paying at least some players. That's assuming none were on the payroll hitherto.;)
Thanks AM for the welcome back - much appreciated. Loved most of my time in the VAFA so no issues there at all from my stand point.

Phil is an amazing servant who is greatly respected and loved within our club. Has been an outstanding person for the club and everyone is very thankful for all he has done over some 50 years involvement.

As for our progress for next year, the pub talk has been positive thus far, but I guess we find out in a few months time. Very, very good numbers and some new players have been announced. As for sponsors, I'm not too sure on that front but I do know of one NEW major sponsor and one other that has doubled their previous support. Hopefully more to come and help with the commercial reality of the move.

Chump

1998 was really a big year media-wise for the VAFA, because not only apart from the usual newspaper coverage in the Herald Sun and the Age, but they also had a radio station who gave matchday coverage every week on 3INR (which later became 96.5 Inner FM) as well as 88.3 Southern FM who put on VAFA Sunday, every Sunday morning throughout the footy season hosted by Brian Goodman and Tom Brain.

The VAFA also had initally Optus Local Vision to do a replay of the VAFA game of the week, but when Optus Local Vision ceased transmission without warning, the VAFA turned to Channel 31 who put on a replay program called 'The Sportscover VAFA Match of the Day', which lasted until 2001.

This is my first BigFooty post, I am not a Big Footy follower nor interested in the subject matter often posted here but as the new President of the VAFA (Paul Newton) I feel compelled to respond to the numerous offensive, ill informed and nasty posts that have been allowed to be published on this forum. There have been numerous ignorant and totally unwarranted and damaging posts put up by certain faceless keyboard warriors in recent months. You have little or no factual knowledge of what you are often promoting, the end result in targeting the association, its Board and the integrity of our great competition is damaging beyond your comprehension. I demand those of you that have named individuals cease from such harmful inflammatory actions. As the Association's new President I am committed to drive change for the better of the clubs, members and our stakeholders. This will take time but I demand those of you that are here and posting think seriously about what you are saying. I will be available to any of you to speak with, answer your questions and provide factual content. I urge you to get my details from the VAFA website and reach out to me. Lets all work together to ensure 2024 sees the VAFA return as a respected caring community.
Satire?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1998 was really a big year media-wise for the VAFA, because not only apart from the usual newspaper coverage in the Herald Sun and the Age, but they also had a radio station who gave matchday coverage every week on 3INR (which later became 96.5 Inner FM) as well as 88.3 Southern FM who put on VAFA Sunday, every Sunday morning throughout the footy season hosted by Brian Goodman and Tom Brain.

The VAFA also had initally Optus Local Vision to do a replay of the VAFA game of the week, but when Optus Local Vision ceased transmission without warning, the VAFA turned to Channel 31 who put on a replay program called 'The Sportscover VAFA Match of the Day', which lasted until 2001.

I honestly think the move to RSN hasn't been a good one. The Inner FM crew did it well for so long. Had the opportunity to meet Ken et al at a Premier after match at Toorak Park a decade ago now when Chilli introduced me. Think the crew loved how I umpired that day FWIW.

I honestly think the move to RSN hasn't been a good one. The Inner FM crew did it well for so long. Had the opportunity to meet Ken et al at a Premier after match at Toorak Park a decade ago now when Chilli introduced me. Think the crew loved how I umpired that day FWIW.
Is that when you could run?

In hindsight, I think the VAFA should've had two radio stations to cover VAFA football- the long time radio partner 96.5 Inner FM and the new kids on the block, RSN. If that had happened, not only would there be not one but two games that would be on the radio, but also the VAFA Premier Grand Final would get massive exposure throughout not just metro Melbourne, but thanks to the internet also across Australia and around the world via live streaming.

Sent from my 5002X using BigFooty.com mobile app

In hindsight, I think the VAFA should've had two radio stations to cover VAFA football- the long time radio partner 96.5 Inner FM and the new kids on the block, RSN. If that had happened, not only would there be not one but two games that would be on the radio, but also the VAFA Premier Grand Final would get massive exposure throughout not just metro Melbourne, but thanks to the internet also across Australia and around the world via live streaming.

Have you seen RSN's rating , it's 0.02 % no one listens

Why are people talking about radio? If your going to broadcast games live stream them..

Regardless you really think people around Australia and the World are going to listen to random VAFA games? Seriously.

Any idea when the fixtures are coming out for div 2 + 3 ?
Haven't even received fixture request forms yet mate. Not everyone is registered on PlayHQ apparently

Remove this Banner Ad

Back