Vale Jim Stynes, 1966-2012 - A champion/hero - Statue commissioned for MCG Avenue of Legends

Remove this Banner Ad

1984 All Ireland Minor final Footage (u18 = minor). Match played before All Ireland senior final. Commentary is always in Irish for minor final.

Jim is #8 for Dublin wearing sky blue.

RIP

[youtube]YwfxnBRBc6Q[/youtube]

One of my earliest recollections of Big Jim is crossing the mark in a certain Preliminary Final. Ever since, he left his mark either side of the white line.

A champion.
A hero.
A saviour.

Such a big, brave, loving, caring, beautiful soul. The world has lost one of its best way too soon.

Thank ye Jimmeh for all the wonderful memories and inspiration you've given me over the past 25 years. Especially, early in your playing days, when on a cold, wet, miserable Winter's night in the Hills you travelled out to help co-host my junior footy club's fund-raising night and teach a particular starry-eyed kid how to do a horrible looking, awkward and ungainly dance devoid of grace you dubbed the Irish jig.

Love ya, Jim:heart:

vale11.jpg

RIP Jim, you're a true champion. You've provided so many last memories to us, but the one that will always be special is the fact the Melbourne Football Club is still with us thanks to your efforts. Thankyou.

I can only repeat what everyone else has already said.

I'm a cancer survivor, and when a brave warrior like Jim Stynes falls those of us who beat the disease, perhaps simply through the luck of being diagnosed before extensive metastasis, are left with a certain amount of guilt that we are still here. It's humbling to think that there but for the grace of God go I.

I feel devastated that we have lost a brave man whose battle with cancer inspired me to stay positive during treatment. As it happens I have to go and see the oncologist today for an unwanted and unscheduled appointment, and I've asked Big Jim to be there with me in spirit.

My deepest and most heartfelt condolences to all who knew Jim, and to the Melbourne Football Club, members and supporters.

chuid eile i síocháin Jim.(Rest In Peace Jim)

Condalances to Your Family/Friends and the Melbourne Football club.

Got to briefly meet the man personally and have just been so inspired by his career and fight with this horrible disease over the past few years. He is the heart of the MFC and we as a club and supporters should forever take on his attitude, integrity and drive. R.I.P Big Jim. A brilliant human being.

Keep your eye on the red and the blue.

I only met Jim as a kid getting autographs with dad who loved Jimmy and was one of his favourite players. Going to dees games dad always yelled out "Go Jimmy!!!" before each bounce which my sister and I would always joke about later. One of my favourite memories was when Jimmy was revving up the players before his titus record match running through the banner, made the hairs on my neck stand up.

pretty lost for words but i'll be there on tuesday wearing my dees scarf (and of course round 4)

RIP Jim you are such an inspiration, a legend, gentle caring human being. Whatever It takes

Hey guys, just passing on my deepest sympathies on the loss of this great inspirational bloke.

I'm disappointed that Melbourne isn't coming to Adelaide this year, either against my Port Adelaide boys or Adelaide. I would've gone over to the Melbourne cheer squad and passed on my sympathies in person, and had ya's been here against the Crows, I probably would've joined the cheer squad and proudly worn a #11 Melbourne jumper, with RIP JIM or something like that above the #11.

RIP Jim. Ya gonna be missed. Not only by your family, the Melbourne FC and it's supporters, but by all footy fans around Australia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A super bloke
A true gentleman
And a Champion footballer
RIP big fella may your actions continue to inspire us all

Samantha Stynes or Ms Ludbey is how I knew her was my Primary school teacher back in the late 90's. I remember the days when Jimmy used to come down to visit her, I was amazed by him as he was one of favourite players. He would always have the time to say hi when I ran up and bugged him. He also went away on my younger brother and sister's school camp. They were just saying last night how he joined in games and interacted with all the kids, everyone just loved him.

Although I was in high school at the time Samantha invited the kidds from the primary school (my brother and sister) to their wedding, which a small number of us stood in the back of the church. She was everyones favourite teacher and Jimmy we all know how big of a legend he is. They are both really great people.

He'll be sadly missed, rest in peace Jimmy.

Samantha Stynes or Ms Ludbey is how I knew her was my Primary school teacher back in the late 90's. I remember the days when Jimmy used to come down to visit her, I was amazed by him as he was one of favourite players. He would always have the time to say hi when I ran up and bugged him. He also went away on my younger brother and sister's school camp. They were just saying last night how he joined in games and interacted with all the kids, everyone just loved him.

Although I was in high school at the time Samantha invited the kidds from the primary school (my brother and sister) to their wedding, which a small number of us stood in the back of the church. She was everyones favourite teacher and Jimmy we all know how big of a legend he is. They are both really great people.

He'll be sadly missed, rest in peace Jimmy.

Thank-you for sharing your recollection. It is amazing how many people have personal stories about him. A truly inspirational person.

Hopefully there can also be a tribute for the Queens Birthday clash.

I think they should name the NAB Rising Star Medal after him, after all he was always there for the youth, so i think this would be fitting

Shows how much the great man meant to so many, another reason why Mitch Clark has won me over and then some, so much respect for the great man:

art-svSTYNES-420x0.jpg

569007-mitch-clark.jpg

art-MCG1-420x0.jpg

Clarke316aa112.jpg

Pretty much sums up all our feelings in those picture right there. Honoured to have met Jim (and be given his number), devastated by his death.

Make Jimmy proud, Mitch. :thumbsu:

My tribute to Jimmy Stynes.
In a time of darkness you were my shining light, you gave me hope when all seemed lost. Through your "Reach " program i went from a troubled teen to a young man who found good not only in myself but the world around me. I'll never forget your encouraging words "you can not control what happenned in the past but you can control your future". Your program changed my life and I thank you immensely. I took that batton you offered me called life and I ran with it, my only regret is that I never stopped to look back and say thank you. RIP Jimmy, you made a great difference in many young peoples lives, thank u.
Kane.

My tribute to Jimmy Stynes.
In a time of darkness you were my shining light, you gave me hope when all seemed lost. Through your "Reach " program i went from a troubled teen to a young man who found good not only in myself but the world around me. I'll never forget your encouraging words "you can not control what happenned in the past but you can control your future". Your program changed my life and I thank you immensely. I took that batton you offered me called life and I ran with it, my only regret is that I never stopped to look back and say thank you. RIP Jimmy, you made a great difference in many young peoples lives, thank u.
Kane.

Respect.

Well done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back