Vale Jim Stynes, 1966-2012 - A champion/hero - Statue commissioned for MCG Avenue of Legends

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe the club was allocated 200 tickets for the church tomorrow. Unless you have one of those I'd say you'd be watching from outside.

I spoke to Jack Trengove, but he'd just given the last away ;)

Fed it is.

Who else is coming?

Cover of mass booklet from last night's memorial mass in Jim's home parish in Ballyroan, Dublin.

551563_10150646453069317_584929316_9341261_113591586_n.jpg

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning’s hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft star-shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die.

You'll always be there big fella. And at that point when we're there on that last weekend in September, holding that cup aloft, there'll be a third hand on it.

Vale Jimmy Stynes...why do the good die young?

Just bought my tickets to the Round 1 melbourne game...going to go wearing my essendon jersey with a melbourne scarf over it in respect of the legend that was Jimmy Stynes...

RIP Jimmy :(

:thumbsu:

Samantha Stynes or Ms Ludbey is how I knew her was my Primary school teacher back in the late 90's. I remember the days when Jimmy used to come down to visit her, I was amazed by him as he was one of favourite players. He would always have the time to say hi when I ran up and bugged him. He also went away on my younger brother and sister's school camp. They were just saying last night how he joined in games and interacted with all the kids, everyone just loved him.

Although I was in high school at the time Samantha invited the kidds from the primary school (my brother and sister) to their wedding, which a small number of us stood in the back of the church. She was everyones favourite teacher and Jimmy we all know how big of a legend he is. They are both really great people.

He'll be sadly missed, rest in peace Jimmy.

Great anecodote, fantastic to hear.

My tribute to Jimmy Stynes.
In a time of darkness you were my shining light, you gave me hope when all seemed lost. Through your "Reach " program i went from a troubled teen to a young man who found good not only in myself but the world around me. I'll never forget your encouraging words "you can not control what happenned in the past but you can control your future". Your program changed my life and I thank you immensely. I took that batton you offered me called life and I ran with it, my only regret is that I never stopped to look back and say thank you. RIP Jimmy, you made a great difference in many young peoples lives, thank u.
Kane.

Again, respect. :thumbsu:

Good to see the Wiz there today

That's great. <3 the Wiz

Sorry to intrude guys but I'm curious as to whether Aussie Wonaemirri attended the funeral? How about some other blokes like Jakovich, Tingay, Lovett x 2 ...etc?

Sorry to intrude guys but I'm curious as to whether Aussie Wonaemirri attended the funeral? How about some other blokes like Jakovich, Tingay, Lovett x 2 ...etc?

I saw Paul Wheatley there... Neitz was there, the Febey boys, Jeff Farmer, Shanahan I heard was there also. Don't know about the other blokes..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Herald Sun

AS details of Jim Stynes' final resting place are revealed, Melbourne Football Club announce plans for a touching tribute to the gentle giant this Saturday at the MCG.

Instead of a deafening silence, the crowd will erupt in a heartfelt one minute applause to honour Stynes.

It will channel scenes in Ireland this week when Gaelic football fans paid tribute to Jim's life with a standing ovation at Croke Park.

Stynes' beloved Melbourne Demons will take on the Brisbane Lions in their opening match this Saturday.

The footy club announced the news on Twitter this morning saying: ``We can confirm there will be a minute of applause in tribute to Jim Stynes at Saturday's game instead of a minute silence.''

Will be a nice moment. I'm somewhat humbled to be a (very small) part of it. :)

There isn't much I can add that has not been said. Has there been a more universally respected person in football? Not that I can recall. But Jim Stynes was about so much more than football. What a human, what an inspiration.

The greatest man I never knew.

I have commented on the AFL thread several times, but would like to personally offer my sympathies to Melbourne supporters. I met Jim briefly while working as an adolescent residential care worker and watched him working with a large circle of kids on a friday night in Frankston. I have worked on the welfare side of things in schools for years and immediately recognised Jim's special gift in being able to get kids to open up to others and support each other. I cannot remember being affected so emotionally by the death of anyone, even my own parents.

In some strange way, I am almost envious of Melbourne supporters. I wish there was someone at my club that supporters could love even half as much as you people do Jim Stynes. Best wishes this year on field to Melbourne Football Club. I don't hope you will be premiers, but I would sure like to see you as runner up to the Pies.

I just want to see this thread on the main page in the week we remember the great man.

I'm sure the tribute round may prompt many to again post the thoughts on Jim.

Sam Stynes sent out a wonerfully heartfelt letter to the red and blue community today, if you haven't read it yet I recommend it. Also a worthwhile read for those who aren't Melbourne fans, but as we have seen, Stynes' legacy transcended just the MFC.

Message from Sam Stynes

To everyone in the red and blue family,

I wanted to take this opportunity to contact all the wonderful Melbourne Football Club people who have expressed their love and support for Jim and our family since his death on 20 March 2012.

It has been a very emotional time, but I have also been truly moved and comforted by the incredible support of those who Jim touched. I have received hundreds of cards and letters, and have been stopped in the street by some very kind people. I've heard countless heartfelt stories about, and memories of Jim. I've also been encouraged to remain hopeful and positive about the future.

When we left St Paul's Cathedral on the day of Jim's funeral, I was overawed by the coming together of the group of beautiful people who had gathered at Federation Square. To look up and experience a sea of red and blue standing so quietly and in complete unity was incredibly moving.

It was a moment in time that I will never forget, and I feel blessed to have experienced it. I also felt very glad that Jim had the opportunity to work alongside so many admirable people over the years.

And then, at the Melbourne vs. Western Bulldogs Tribute Game, to once again see a sea of red and blue at the MCG - the place that meant so much to Jim - was heartwarming. The posters and flags in the crowd, the tribute on the big screen, the match day banner, the performances, the beaming painted kids' faces and the things said, all made for a day that Matisse, Tiernan and I, along with the extended family, will never forget.

So, for me now, I am focusing on Matisse and Tiernan, and with one foot in front of the other, the three of us are working towards getting back to living life to the fullest in honour of Jim's wishes, and I am also undertaking business as usual.

As many of you know, Jim and I created Jimbo Super Muesli late last year, and that is keeping me busy. Other than his family, Jim's other great love in life was the Melbourne Football Club, and he continues to support the Club via the sale of Jimbo Super Muesli. Read more on Jimbo here.

Using the words from Wally Amos, "…for me, giving thanks is a sign of appreciation and gratitude that also brings about a deep sense of peace."

So, from the bottom of my heart, thank you to the wonderful members and supporters of the Melbourne Football Club for all your support and kindness. Jim loved the Melbourne Football Club, and I know Matisse and Tiernan will always have the connection of the red and blue to their Dad.

See you at the footy, and Go Dees!

Love Sam

I remember standing at the station on the way to class on the day Jim passed, listening to Neil Mitchell and not believing the loss we'd had.

The fact that the supporters have been reduced to making jokes about the club to get by, myself included, is really sad.

You were the blood of our club Jimmy, and I fear that the coach and players don't know how to respond to your loss.

I really hope we can soon.

Even on an outsiders perspective, I think punters would be more than happy to give a wink to a memorial statue of Jim around the outside gates of the G ... Online petition anyone ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back