Society/Culture Violence in Society; Who is to blame?

Remove this Banner Ad

While it may be true that she was actually arrested for DUI, I don't think that necessarily detracts from the 'double standard' argument. The support that she was getting was based on the assumption that she was charged for beating her partner with a golf club - support that a man would likely not have received if the genders were reversed.

I don't agree with most of what the 'men's rights crowd' (for want of a better term) in this thread have been arguing, but I think there is definitely a double standard in instances like this.

But only one of the comments was supporting her, 6000 likes on those two major opposition posts shows a balanced view doesn't it?

She was also getting support based on her looks
I am sure if it were say a woman who looks similar to Rosie O'Donnell, the responses would have been different. In any case, there were 6 comments. I wouldn't get too much out of that.

There are only 6 comments in the snapshot above, but there are far more on the actual Facebook picture. Sure, the responses would be different if she was less attractive - that just highlights another double standard.

But only one of the comments was supporting her, 6000 likes on those two major opposition posts shows a balanced view doesn't it?

As above, there are far more comments than in that particular screen shot. For instance:

"s**t, I'd be smiling too" - 1898 likes.

"You can see the pain in her eyes" - 1212 likes (Blatant apologism).

"That will teach his ass not to cheat on any other girls lol. Might be worse next time haha" - 493 likes.

"Why beat him up when she could of chop off hes dick n feed the dogs wit it" - 94 likes.

etc...

I did a little look at it says she was arrested for DUI.
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/file/11-5-10-mugs?page=2

So one source says one thing, another says another. Neither are exactly definitive.

Do you think men and women, committing the same DV acts, would be treated the same (both legally and in public opinion)?

If not, which gender do you think would be better off as a result of this inequity?

So one source says one thing, another says another. Neither are exactly definitive.

Do you think men and women, committing the same DV acts, would be treated the same (both legally and in public opinion)?

If not, which gender do you think would be better off as a result of this inequity?

I feel that you using the word "would" instead of the word "should" in your question will not allow me to answer my opinion because it requires data I don't have on hand.

If would is replaced by should then my answers are;

Yes they should be treated the same for the same crimes, same bodily harm caused etc.

I feel that you using the word "would" instead of the word "should" in your question will not allow me to answer my opinion because it requires data I don't have on hand.

If would is replaced by should then my answers are;

Yes they should be treated the same for the same crimes, same bodily harm caused etc.

I used would rather than should as the purpose of the inquiry was to determine if you thought a double standard currently exists.

I wasn't asking for a definitive, referenced, answer (although that would always be welcomed), merely your thoughts/opinion.

I used would rather than should as the purpose of the inquiry was to determine if you thought a double standard currently exists.

I wasn't asking for a definitive, referenced, answer (although that would always be welcomed), merely your thoughts/opinion.
This is from someone who thinks that "white teenage boys are a bigger threat than middle eastern men" but won't back it up. She also deliberately misconstrues questions before running away.

You won't get a response.

This is from someone who thinks that "white teenage boys are a bigger threat than middle eastern men" but won't back it up. She also deliberately misconstrues questions before running away.

Look at the number of school shootings, white teenage boys.
Look at the number of gun related deaths in the USA per year, is it 10,000 a year?

Islam isn't the threat to the West that you made it out to be, you were ignoring the big issue to focus on a small one.

I don't have the case files to say which cases were treating men harsher than women for the exact same circumstances, anecdotally women are getting away with killing their children for having a mental illness but men doing the same are monsters. That's unjust but also unproven, anecdotal evidence is worth a fart in a balloon.

Perhaps, perhaps not. We'll see.

That said, and purely off the top of my head, on raw numbers, white teenage boys probably are more of a threat than middle eastern men (in Australia at least)...There are after all a lot more white teenage boys after all, and teenage boys are more likely to cause trouble than 60 year old of any background. On a like for like comparison though (same ages, rates per thousand, etc) I'm not sure that claim would hold up.

Look at the number of school shootings, white teenage boys.
Look at the number of gun related deaths in the USA per year, is it 10,000 a year?

Islam isn't the threat to the West that you made it out to be, you were ignoring the big issue to focus on a small one.
That's fair point, I will acknowledge that, but that's owes more to the fact that Western security is tied up in combating terrorism. One September 11 is equivalent to how many shootings And why do you assume that they are all "white teenage boys"? The Virginia Tech shooter wasn't, nor arguably was Elliot Rodger.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2014/06/are_most_mass_murderers_really_white.html

And the US's insane gun laws are another matter entirely. And for another thread, which you were tagged in also and could have responded there.

I don't have the case files to say which cases were treating men harsher than women for the exact same circumstances, anecdotally women are getting away with killing their children for having a mental illness but men doing the same are monsters. That's unjust but also unproven, anecdotal evidence is worth a fart in a balloon.

http://www.tasa.org.au/docs/conferences/2001_05/031201 Jefferies.pdf

Female violent offenders received imprisonment terms approximately twelve months shorter than men and female drug offenders’ terms were around five months shorter.

The current study also finds, that “boundaries between victim and offender were more often blurred in the women’s social histories” (Daly, 1994: 260). This result is consistent with international research which also finds that gendered constructions of women as ‘troubled’ can partially account for why judicial sanctions are less severe than men’s (see for example, Allen, 1987a, 1987b, 1987c)
That's just the first one I found.

That's just the first one I found.

That's what I feared. It's a bad situation where a person gets off with less punishment for the same crime based on their gender.

Does the gender of the judge influence it at all? Are women judges sending men to jail for longer or men sending women to jail shorter?

That's what I feared. It's a bad situation where a person gets off with less punishment for the same crime based on their gender.

Does the gender of the judge influence it at all? Are women judges sending men to jail for longer or men sending women to jail shorter?
sf.oxfordjournals.org/content/77/3/1163.abstract

Women judges are somewhat harsher (i.e., more likely to incarcerate and impose longer sentences), and they slant toward a more contextualized style in weighing the effects of defendant characteristics and prior record on sentencing outcomes. Notably, they are particularly harsh toward repeat black offenders.

But there is also this:
http://emilkirkegaard.dk/en/wp-cont...t-of-District-Level-Judicial-Demographics.pdf

Thus, in the case of serious crimes, we can draw the following conclusions: (1) the greater the proportion of female judges in a district, the lower the gender disparity (i.e. the more men and women are treated alike).....

The answer is, I have no idea. I would probably tend towards the latter though, my experience has been that female judges are probably slightly less biased in that regard than male judges in criminal matters. My experience has been that it is a broader cultural issue than individual judges.

http://njca.com.au/wp-content/uploa...encing-Decisions-Sporer-Goodman-Delahunty.pdf
Studies on the influence of victim gender reveal in general that crimes against female victims result in more harsh penalties when sentence length is the dependent measure.

If I was at work today I would be able to provide a better response than Google.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back